homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:06 am
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 329 posts ]  Go to page Previous 113 14 15 16 17
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:56 am 
Guardian of the Black Room

Home Schooled: Yes
Hammy wrote:
Now a question, why did I not die night one? Who had a power to block it? Was it the same power that killed Jonah instead of Marina when I used my daykill? How did all that play out? :)

Ironically, that was me.

jnshelton had a 50% success-rate kill, which failed when he shot at Hammy. I redirected Evan's kill (who also shot at Hammy), which miraculously killed jnshelton.

I also redirected Hammy's daykill.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:54 am 
Hint hint peoples.

Hammy wrote:
Sorry, but you lost faith too soon Evan. ;) We had it under control.

That is indeed true! Hooray good team! :D Sorry Andrew, but luck was on our side this time. I was crossing my fingers that your redirect would either kill LMJ or somehow not work, and lo and behold, it didn't.

JustM.e wrote:
Looking forward to Eff's thoughts.

Likewise.

As the deer pants for the water brooks, so pants my soul for You, O God. -Psalm 42:1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:52 am 

Well, this was a good way to start mafia up again. I had a lot of fun hosting this game - although it was frustrating to be out of the loop! - and I hope that you all enjoyed it too. I am sorry that some of you got so invested that it led to arguments, but I'm glad that you managed to work it out and all remain friends.

RPMs and such
Beatrice “Tris” Prior
“It would have been like shooting myself.”
You are good.
You make up for your small size with a large attitude. You might have been raised to be quiet and unassuming in Abnegation, but you have found your voice and you will not be silenced. Despite starting out slow, you ranked first among the Dauntless initiates by the time training was completed. You have fears, sure, but you know how to face them.
Because of your loud mouth and respected status, your vote counts twice. In addition, once during the game you may kill someone during the day cycle. Simply vote for them in #BFFF00, which is the color just above red. You can blame it on carelessness; sometimes you think before you act, after all.
You win when good and neutral are the only players in the game.

Tobias “Four” Eaton
“There is a fine line between bravery and idiocy.”
You’re good.
You get to be the dashing young hero of this story, aww. You are one of the most respected members of Dauntless, since you only have four fears – hence your nickname. You’re also pretty good at combat, which is why you train all the newcomers. You got off to a rocky start in life, and you’ll never ever reconcile with your dad, but you’re a pretty great guy once you’ve lightened up and relaxed a little.
Since you’re so good at fighting, you can kill one person every night. Unfortunately, if you try to kill Marcus, your father, you only have a 50/50 shot at success. He’s one of your fears, you see, so your PTSD might kick in and enable him to escape. You also have the one-time ability to convert Peter Hayes to your side – but make sure you find him quickly. If the mafia get to him first… well, hopefully that won’t happen.
You win when all members of the mafia are dead.

Caleb Prior
“We should think of our family. But we should also think of ourselves.”
You are good.
You’ll forever be known as Tris’s older brother. She always thought of you as the perfect member of Abnegation – selfless, yielding, and calm. The truth is that you’ve always wanted knowledge more than anything else, you’ve just been good at hiding it. That’s why you transferred to Erudite, see, so you could learn more and not have to keep it a secret. Then you fell into the clutches of evil Jeanine, but all you could see was the information that was available. You’ve been rescued – thank goodness – but the effects of your brief stint as “evil” will always linger.
You’ve always been interested in the world, so you have an investigate. It will come up with either the power or the role of your target (you aren’t that good at determining motives, it seems, so you won’t be informed of their alignment), with a 50/50 chance for each. In addition, because you were so good at hiding your true affiliation, you will be uninvestigateable. Anyone attempting to investigate you will turn up with no results.
You win when only good and neutral are left standing.

Christina
”Politeness is deception in pretty packaging.”
You are good.
You are clever and very, very blunt. You grew up in Candor, the faction of truth-telling, so it’s excusable. Joining Dauntless was difficult for you, especially during the gruelling training that you had to undergo. People questioned your ability to fit in with the tough members of your new faction, but despite their reservations, you succeeded and proved yourself a worthy warrior.
You know all about telling the truth, so you’re good at figuring out when people are lying. Your truth-sniffing abilities stand you in good stead, and allow you to investigate one person per night. This will reveal their alignment (good, neutral, or evil) to you.
You win when good and neutral are the only sides remaining.

Tori Wu
“We don’t need you as an ally. We’re Dauntless.”
You’re good.
You are definitely a member of Dauntless. You’re scared of nothing – well, that’s not quite true, but you are good at facing your fears. Among other things, you are a tattoo artist, and a good one at that. You also are one of the few non-Abnegation members who administer the aptitude test that determines which faction young people should join. You do everything in your power to take care of the people that you can.
You’re definitely not from Candor, since you’re good at keeping secrets to protect people. Because of this, you are able to stonewall efforts that might end up injuring your friends. You can block one player per night, which will cause any/all of their actions to fail for that cycle, including their vote.
You win when good and neutral are the only players in the game.

Uriah Pedrad
“I’m going to shoot a muffin off Marlene’s head.”
You are a good person.
You are Dauntless by birth and Dauntless by choice, which makes you either brave or stupid. The jury is still out on that one. You made friends with Tris when she was just a lowly initiate and you’ve remained friends ever since.
Since you grew up in Dauntless, you’re very good at fighting people. Unfortunately you aren’t quite as good as Tris or Four, so while you have a nightkill, it only have a 50% chance of working. You should probably hit the shooting range for some practice.
You win when only good and neutral are left standing.

Susan Black
“He told us we should spend some time thinking about the ceremony.”
You are too good to be true.
You’ve been friends with Caleb and Tris since you were kids, since you lived right next door to each other. You have always liked Caleb, and I mean liked him. Luckily for you, he liked you right back, so it looked like you guys had a nice future together. Then he transferred to Erudite, which put a spike in that plan. Oh well. You’re still really nice and everyone likes you.
You’re thoroughly Abnegation, which means you’re all about sacrifice. You can protect one person each night.
You win when good and neutral are the only sides remaining.

Peter Hayes
“The only way I’ll tell you is if you get me out of here.”
You are neutral.
Well, Peter, you are certainly a piece of work. Nobody likes you. At all. And for good reason, it turns out. Aside from being from Candor, which makes you ruthlessly truthful and at times cruel, you’re mostly just cruel. You like beating people up, which might be partially fuelled by the viciously hierarchical system implemented by the Dauntless initiation, but might also just be you, being a terrible person. But wait! It’s not too late to redeem yourself. You could try not being so nasty.
You’re really good at hurting people, so you have a nightkill. You also have options. Each side has a convert specifically meant for you. If you and Eric connect, he can convert you to a fellow mafia member. If Four gets to you first, then you’ll join the pious good side. Either way, this might mix up your powers a little bit. Of course, you can always keep your identity super-secret and stay neutral. That works too.
You win if you survive until the end. Being converted will change this win condition.

Eric Coulter
“You chose us. Now we have to choose you.”
You are evil.
As your alignment might indicate, you aren’t a very nice person. You were born in Erudite and then transferred to Dauntless, becoming one of Dauntless’s youngest leaders. You really, really hate Four because he ranked first in your year and you only ranked second. How dare he! You’re really cruel and also pretty sadistic, which are traits that you probably shouldn’t encourage but do anyway. Oh well, at least you’re glamorously evil.
Even though you were only second in your year, you’re still pretty lethal. You can kill one person every night. Also, keep an eye out for one called Peter Hayes. You have a lot in common and if you get to him before Four does, you can convert him from neutral to join your cause.
Your fellow evildoers are Jeanine (anorton) and Marcus (Johnnyw256). You win when mafia members outnumber good members, or when good is no longer capable of winning.
You and your fellow mafia can choose between Edward, Marlene, Lynn, Fernando, and Evelyn as potential safeclaims. Edward, Evelyn, and Fernando are best played as neutral, while Marlene and Lynn lend themselves excellently to good. Here’s a sample safeclaim – one of the three mafia members can use it, but you’ll have to decide which one among the three of you. If you want any other help constructing RPMs, just let me know.
Marlene
You are good.
”Who put you in charge?”
You’re Dauntless through and through. Once Uriah made a bet with you that he could shoot a muffin off your head and you wouldn’t flinch. You both won that bet, which just goes to show that you are afraid of nothing.
You’re tough and powerful, and also not fazed by anything. You can only be killed by lynching, so try not to get on the bad side of the entire town.
You win when good and neutral are the only ones left.

Jeanine Matthews
“The future belongs to those who know where they belong.”
You are evil.
And by evil, I do indeed mean evil. Maniacal dictator only just begins to cover it. Your goal is to take over all of the factions and rule them for yourself. To this end you will employ blackmail, murder, slander, and mind control. Luckily for you, you’re good at all of those things – you have the highest IQ of anyone in Erudite, which basically makes you the smartest person in the entire city.
You’re really smart and information oriented, so you have a nightly investigate that will tell you what your target’s power is. You also have the ability to ‘busdrive’ or redirect someone’s power each night. Be careful, though – the outcome will be totally random so you might end up hurting your own team.
Your fellow evildoers are Eric (Sharkfin) and Marcus (Johnnyw256). You win when mafia members outnumber good members, or when good is no longer capable of winning.
You and your fellow mafia can choose between Edward, Marlene, Lynn, Fernando, and Evelyn as potential safeclaims. Edward, Evelyn, and Fernando are best played as neutral, while Marlene and Lynn lend themselves excellently to good. Here’s a sample safeclaim – one of the three mafia members can use it, but you’ll have to decide which one among the three of you. If you want any other help constructing RPMs, just let me know.
Marlene
You are good.
”Who put you in charge?”
You’re Dauntless through and through. Once Uriah made a bet with you that he could shoot a muffin off your head and you wouldn’t flinch. You both won that bet, which just goes to show that you are afraid of nothing.
You’re tough and powerful, and also not fazed by anything. You can only be killed by lynching, so try not to get on the bad side of the entire town.

Marcus Eaton
“Sometimes pain is for the greater good.”
You are evil.
You’re one of those insidiously evil people, because everyone thinks you’re actually good. You might be a leader in Abnegation, but you are quite selfish and not afraid to hurt other people. Your wife and son both left you because of your cruel and abusive ways. Unfortunately for them, the people around you still consider you to be an ethical and dedicated public servant.
Because your true nature is so well-concealed, investigates of you will show you as good, instead of the villain you are. You can also try and switch the results of an investigate every night – if someone is investigating the person you target, the result will be obfuscated. Well, maybe. Not everyone trusts you so absolutely, you see, so your action will only have a 50/50 chance of success. You also terrify Four, your son, so much that if he takes any action against you, it has a 50/50 chance of failing.
Your fellow evildoers are Eric (Sharkfin) and Jeanine (anorton). You win when mafia members outnumber good members, or when good is no longer capable of winning.
Marlene
You are good.
”Who put you in charge?”

Extra RPMs

Cara
“We’re trained to see things as logically as possible.”
You are neutral.
You are definitely a member of Erudite, seeing as how you were born into it and still chose it as your faction. You’re almost as ruthlessly truthful as a member of Candor, and you’ve hurt people’s feelings on many occasions. You also really love your little brother, Will – or loved him, I should say. He got killed a while back. You’re still not happy about that, which is why you stopped working for Jeanine and struck out as a freelance agent, along with your friend Fernando.
You’re dedicated to the discovery of information. This gives you a nightly investigate that will give you the alignment and role of your target. You also have a one-time kill that can be used in any phase. Here’s the catch: it only works on two people. You can either kill Tris, since she killed Will (and it wasn’t entirely her fault; it’s complicated) or you can kill Eric, because he’s the one who caused Will’s death (it’s definitely his fault; still pretty complicated). If you target someone who isn’t either of those people, your attempt will fail and you will lose your kill. Better make sure you know who you’re killing.
You win if you survive until the end.

Fernando
“That’s illogical.”
You are neutral.
You’re one of those Erudite people, which means you’re really smart and basically a human version of Spock, as illustrated by your quote. You’ll do anything for the cause of knowledge, even let someone else use a stunner on you to demonstrate its properties. You really, really like gadgets in general, as a matter of fact. You also like to categorize people as rigidly as you possibly can. You used to work for Jeanine Matthews but left with your friend Cara when you discovered her nefarious plots.
All you have is your brain and your collection of gadgets, including your trusty stunner. You can stun one person per night, blocking their action.
You win if you survive to the end.

Edward
“It hurts.”
You are neutral.
You were born into Erudite, but it was always clear exactly where you belonged: Dauntless. You have been practicing combat since you were ten years old, and you’re terrifyingly good at it. Too good, as a matter of fact. Some of your fellow initiates felt threatened by your skills and stabbed you in the eye one night. You left Dauntless with your girlfriend, Myra, and became factionless after that. The competition in Dauntless is difficult enough with two good eyes.
You used to be an incredible fighter, but you aren’t as good as you used to be, thanks to Peter’s envy. Now all you can do is beat people up. Of course, being badly beaten makes it difficult to function, so you can block one person per night.
You win if you survive to the end.

Notes
If Tris dies, Four’s nightkill decreases to 50% success.
If Peter is converted to good, he loses his kill and gets a protect. If he is converted to evil, he loses his kill and gets a block.
If Four targets Tris, his nightkill will fail. If Tris votes for Four, her votes will be negated.
If Andrew loses the day 3 vote, he gets a yakuza.

Some thoughts about the game:

The mafia certainly could have done better at the start. I was not expecting correct lynches two days in a row, and it rather threw me off. Also, there were a lot of people who wanted to kill Marina.

In hindsight, I think I overpowered Andrew a little more than I should have, but it did bring the game down to the wire, which was fun to see. For very rusty people, the game was remarkably well-played at some points. The good team's biggest mistake was not listening to Caleb on day three.

There were so many times that I wanted to butt in and say something because someone was WRONG! ON THE INTERNET! AND IF I DIDN'T, THEY MIGHT KEEP BEING WRONG!! It was very hard to just grit my teeth and let the game progress. I do know that I will do my best to never, ever, ever make another assumption ever again.

I really wanted to see Brett's godfather and lawyer come into play. I'm disappointed that the reason he was lynched was because he was claiming Edward who, in fact, was not actually evil. He wasn't nice, of course, but I originally wrote him as a neutral character. In hindsight, I feel like I should have stuck true to his power and not have revealed his affiliation after death, so that you could all have suffered from a little mystery.

I also really wish that I had used Cara's character instead of Peter's. I feel like that would have been a really interesting and fun element.

I have to admit that I did not randomly assign characters. I tried to put an excellent, decent, and relatively new player in the mafia. I made Hammy Tris because it amused me; the same went for Caleb and Caleb. As for the rest, I tried to give each player a character that they had a little bit of experience with... which was more difficult for the new ones. Giving a vig kill to a new player sort of terrified me, but I was hoping it would factor into the game a little more than it did.

This was a good game and I'd love to host another one sometime... but preferably not until after I get to play a few more.

(also, Hammy, I've been violently curious for days. Why didn't you think that Brett was actually evil after he was lynched? What made you ask that?)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:22 pm 

Effervescent wrote:
I made Hammy Tris because it amused me;

And I sure had the time of my life. :D I could be as crazy as I wanted to be because at the end of the day no mafia would be dumb enough to claim Tris so no one could legitimately hold accusations against me for long.

Effervescent wrote:
(also, Hammy, I've been violently curious for days. Why didn't you think that Brett was actually evil after he was lynched? What made you ask that?)

Since you gave me a power that activated when I voted in a different color it got me to thinking. Maybe other players had similar powers. When LMJ accidentally voted for Brett in a different color I developed the theory that maybe it was a masking vote that would alter his posted alignment allowing LMJ to throw suspicion off. It was a long shot, but I was considering all the options at that point.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:38 pm 

Oooh I like all the mechanics! 'Twas a very well planned out game. :D

Effervescent wrote:
Also, there were a lot of people who wanted to kill Marina.

Okay so I'm curious....why did y'all all want to kill me? 0.o I had a rather bland character...didn't think it'd be considered that suspicious haha.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:28 pm 

Location: I'm not lost! I'm locationally challenged. -John M. Ford
(I'm actually really surprised my day 1 ploy didn't work.)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:57 pm 

Sharkfin wrote:
(I'm actually really surprised my day 1 ploy didn't work.)

You deserved to survive longer. You just got really unlucky. :|

Also, Four Swords mafia is up, go sign up!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:30 pm 

marinadelayne wrote:
Okay so I'm curious....why did y'all all want to kill me? 0.o I had a rather bland character...didn't think it'd be considered that suspicious haha.

Your rpm said too good to be true that by itself was suspicious. You also weren't particularly helpful as in you just kept protecting yourself. And I never wanted to kill you I just wanted to kill the mafia others didn't listen though ;)

Great game Effervescent! The mechanics were really well done and it was fairly balanced.

Hammy wrote:
Also, Cashley died in a hole. I don't know why you keep trusting him. I mean sure he's super good at mafia and knows exactly what he's doing, but I feel like maybe some game you would just not trust him. :P Props to you Cashley, always making my games exciting.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:43 pm 

Good game everyone it was fun!!! :D :D

2014-2015 | Barnes/Spence
2015-2016 | Amedick/Barnes (2.0)
2016-2017 | Amedick/Barnes
2017-2018 | Amedick/Barnes

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 329 posts ]  Go to page Previous 113 14 15 16 17