homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:51 am
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:32 am 

Home Schooled: Yes
That sounds awesome, Noah! :) Mention you're doing it on the upcoming mafia games thread, and Sharkfin will add you to the lineup.

"Never quote yourself on internet forums" - Gabriel Blacklock, 2014

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:05 am 
Hint hint peoples.

NerdRipper7 wrote:
I'm looking at doing a presidential primary mafia would anyone be interested?

I'm all in for this one, as long as you don't give me Trump as my role ;)

As the deer pants for the water brooks, so pants my soul for You, O God. -Psalm 42:1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:44 pm 

I'll try ;)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:32 am 

I was looking through old threads and the Assassin XXX (Whatever Roman Numerals one) got my interest. Would someone briefly explain to me how that game works? So far I understand that the assassin gives clues about their identity after the cops correctly save someone based on victim clues. Is someone willing to maybe explain the process in that mafia form a little more in-depth?

R7: Foster/Foster ~ 2016
LA TECH: Foster/McReynolds ~ 2017? (Hopefully)

~Nate Foster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:34 am 

Location: I'm not lost! I'm locationally challenged. -John M. Ford
this_is_n8_speech wrote:
I was looking through old threads and the Assassin XXX (Whatever Roman Numerals one) got my interest. Would someone briefly explain to me how that game works? So far I understand that the assassin gives clues about their identity after the cops correctly save someone based on victim clues. Is someone willing to maybe explain the process in that mafia form a little more in-depth?

Yep. It's a game between the incognito (an anonymous user who's using the incognito account as an alternate account) and the cops, who have to "accuse" the real person behind the incog account. It's then passed via PM to someone else. The incog wins if he kills all the cops.

Needless to say, the game's based on an incog's ingenuity--it's somewhat up to him to create a fun environment with clues that are hard but manageable.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:38 am 

The way to become Incog is to be the first person to PM the user controlling Incog after the game ends.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:47 pm 

Thanks for the input guys! One question I still have is who is eligible to become a victim. Any HSDer?

R7: Foster/Foster ~ 2016
LA TECH: Foster/McReynolds ~ 2017? (Hopefully)

~Nate Foster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:33 pm 

Yes.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:07 pm 

I am going to throw my game up (for sign ups) tomorrow unless someone else has a game ready to go. Any objections?

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 2:26 am 

So I had this idea for a mechanic for mafia games that would make it easier for the mafia to communicate, and I didn't want to wait 'till my game to see if it was a good idea, and I also figured it might be fun to actually play it and see how it works out in practice before I blindly put it in my own game. This was inspired by another website, which I do not want to name right now, that had the thread locked every night, so that no one could post at night except mafia, so mafia could communicate with each other. At first I thought this was pointless. Why would they need the thread to themselves? The can just PM each other. And then I remembered KOTOR mafia and Pick your Poison mafia, where I was evil, and it was really tedious to have to forward PMs to everyone on the team so everyone's on the same page as to our plans(this was especially a problem in KOTOR, where we all had to figure out who would go where and do what). It would be easier to just be able to post and everyone knows what we're doing. But town should be able to discuss at night too, at least in non-classic games. Then I remembered 2 Rooms and a Boom, where you weren't allowed to know what the other room is saying, and Sharkfin accomplished that through closed sub-forums. So I thought "Why don't we do the same thing? Have a closed subforum constantly open for mafia games that only maf can go in, so maf can have easier discussion?" And that's my idea. The only problem is, can't you see who's in the subforum even if you're not? If you can, then sorry for wasting your time with this, but if you can, or if there's a way to hide it, then why not? I feel like there was something else I was going to say, but I don't remember what it was. So yeah. Is there a huge problem with it I haven't seen, or could this work?

I have no life and Nuna is the kindest.
Dragons!
[Here since 7/23]
[Here since 7/23]

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 2:40 am 
Hint hint peoples.

Mr. E. wrote:
[Mr. E.'s gigantic text nuke goes here]

A private forum for mafs might work actually. I like the idea.

As the deer pants for the water brooks, so pants my soul for You, O God. -Psalm 42:1

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 2:50 am 

I really like that idea because there'd by a record of all the past mafia communication that you could only see when you're a mafia member. DUDE this is actually really cool.

of course whoever runs the game would have to be able to remove and add people from restricted usergroups and that sounds fairly complicated?

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 3:35 am 

ShaynePC wrote:
Wouldn't you be able to see who was members? I am pretty sure I can look that up (but maybe that's because I'm a mod/Revered Elder).

Please do, Even if I could, I don't know how.
Johnnyw256 wrote:
of course whoever runs the game would have to be able to remove and add people from restricted usergroups and that sounds fairly complicated?

Sharkfin did it in 2 Rooms and a Boom, so I assumed it wouldn't be too hard.

Dragons!
[Here since 7/23]
[Here since 7/23]

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 3:36 am 

ShaynePC wrote:
Wouldn't you be able to see who was members? I am pretty sure I can look that up (but maybe that's because I'm a mod/Revered Elder).

Even if it isn't public, won't it drop down if you look at someone's profile and look at their usergroups?

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 4:03 am 

Hammy wrote:
ShaynePC wrote:

Even if it isn't public, won't it drop down if you look at someone's profile and look at their usergroups?

I hadn't thought of that. Doesn't that destroy the purpose of having private usergroups? I suppose we could just ban looking at that, but that's a little too honor based.

Dragons!
[Here since 7/23]
[Here since 7/23]

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 4:11 am 
Hint hint peoples.

Yeah, after thinking about it, it'd be too difficult to make a separate private forum on HSD. I'd have to not participate in any games anymore, and without some wrangling, it'd probably be too easy to find out who's maf. Maybe the GM of a game can make a mibbit channel chat or something for their maf squad.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 1:44 pm 

#GoogleHangoutsftw. Guys just get everyone's email and make a google chat. That's what I would do, plus you get notifications on your smartphone if you download the app.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 1:56 pm 

NerdRipper7 wrote:
#GoogleHangoutsftw. Guys just get everyone's email and make a google chat. That's what I would do, plus you get notifications on your smartphone if you download the app.

Yeah, just leave it up to the mafs. That's part of the skill of mafia, finding out how to best communicate with your teammates.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 2:33 pm 

Location: I'm not lost! I'm locationally challenged. -John M. Ford
Mr. E. wrote:
[insert gigantic blob of thoughtful text]

This is why I generally set up a google spreadsheet when I'm evil. It helps keep track of who people have traded with/what safeclaims have already been used. I tend to have a small discussion forum set up at the bottom, which allows the mafia to communicate without forwarding PMs.

EDIT: I got the idea from Kare, who set this up: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 5:24 pm 

Sharkfin wrote:
Mr. E. wrote:
[insert gigantic blob of thoughtful text]

This is why I generally set up a google spreadsheet when I'm evil. It helps keep track of who people have traded with/what safeclaims have already been used. I tend to have a small discussion forum set up at the bottom, which allows the mafia to communicate without forwarding PMs.

EDIT: I got the idea from Kare, who set this up: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

You can actually comment on Google Docs if they're shared with Drive.