homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:21 am
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:18 am 

Home Schooled: Yes
Location: I can't bother to think of something clever, so I'll just use something overused.
It started in February. Each cult of the world of Whydoeseverynonsensenameicomeupwithturnouttoactuallymeansomething had gathered their dumbest individuals together to fulfill everyone's greatest fantasy: To get all the dumbest people in the world, dump them in a room together, and see what happens. To pick the dumbest, they decided that they would find out who was the most likely to abandon their respective cults(how they did this is another story). This would ensure that the people they picked were the ones who hadn't bothered to learn why they believed in that cult's beliefs. As for the people who stuck to their beliefs beyond all logic, well, that's another room, and another story. So each cult leader found their least loyal member and dumped them in a room. Now, they are watching to see which cult will eventually outnumber all the others. They've all assured each other that the winner has no reason to use this as any evidence for their cult, since, not only would that be a bandwagon fallacy, but these are literally the dumbest people in the world(although everyone fully expects the winner to gloat and use it as evidence anyway. Not even the smartest are very smart). Anyway, you are those people. You, as the players, will have the great privilege of controlling the dumbest people in Whydoeseverynonsensenameicomeupwithturnouttoactuallymeansomething, in a battle to find out who is the least dumb.

Note: This is not a statement on the relative intelligence of anyone on or off of HSD. Any resemblance between any character and any person, living or dead, is entirely coincidental.

Remember how I said it wouldn't take longer than a few days to finish? I meant it.
Here's a link to my other explanation of this game, in case you haven't read it. It's near the bottom of the page. I'll list the few changes here.
  • No day phases, so no lynching.
  • The one person who sends in the convert for the entire cult is randomized each night. In the same way, the person who's notified of who has joined their team the previous night is randomized independently.
  • Instead of giving each cult a color, each cult has a name! Here are a few samples: Gummy Bear Cult(told you it might be in here), Gummy Cult, Bear Cult, Lizard Cult, Purple Cult(I didn't say there wouldn't be any colors), and Scientology. There will still be combinations if two cults convert the same person on the same night, but here, if Gummy Cult and Bear Cult combine, the target becomes Gummy Bear Cult, but if Gummy Cult and Lizard Cult combine, you get a new cult: Gummy Lizard Cult. I will post in the thread when a new Cult has been created, along with it's name. But not the person in it. That would be cheating. (those names won't necessarily be in the game, BTW, they're just ideas that will probably be in the game)
  • Also, something special will happen if everyone (except the target, obviously) converts the same person on the same night. I doubt it will happen, but if it does happen, it'll be interesting to see.
That's about it! Welcome to your respective cults, and have fun relentlessly debating ethics with all the other weak-minded individuals that switch sides the moment they hear a convincing argument!
I just know I'm forgetting something, or making an otherwise obvious mistake, but I can't figure out what it is. I'll just have to rely on my players to ask questions about things they don't understand, and to make suggestions about things that don't make sense to them. Hint hint.

1. anorton
2. brando.2000
3. sons_of_thunder
4. NerdRipper7
5. The Ginga Ninja
6. Evan
7. Johnnyw256
8. SuperK1
9. The Invisible Hand
10. Effervescent
11. jonah.a.barnes
12. Hammy
13. Cyberknight

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:21 pm 
Guardian of the Black Room

So very much in. I'm always ready to prove I'm not the most dumb person out there!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:40 pm 

In!!!

Denney/Denney 2016-2017 Club 19:14

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:17 pm 

I want to be in on this one… :D

Beckman/Hopkins 2015-2016
LD 2016-2017
Ellerslie Discipleship Training Summer 2017
http://www.ellerslie.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:56 pm 

in

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:18 pm 

In.

I have won things. No really, I promise.

"Everything in this world is either a potato... or not a potato."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:41 pm 
Hint hint peoples.

In. There better be a Tom Cruise role for Scientology. ;)

As the deer pants for the water brooks, so pants my soul for You, O God. -Psalm 42:1

Truth is treason in an empire of lies...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:22 pm 

INININ i am way too excited for this.

four questions:
1. What happens if eg PersonA targets PersonB and PersonB targets PersonA? Do they just switch or do they combine?
2. Who wins? Does everyone in the final cult win or only the person who originally had it?
3. When you're converted, do you get to know the identity of everyone else currently in your cult (including leader)?
4. Will there be any powers other than converts?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:34 pm 

I was hoping for all colors, but I'm in.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:24 pm 

In

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:30 pm 

Definitely in.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:39 pm 

in

2014-2015 | Barnes/Spence
2015-2016 | Amedick/Barnes (2.0)
2016-2017 | Amedick/Barnes

"If you say "can't" you're restricting what you can do or ever will do."
-Michael Phelps

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:57 pm 

Location: I can't bother to think of something clever, so I'll just use something overused.
Evan wrote:
In. There better be a Tom Cruise role for Scientology. ;)

Sorry, there are no roles, and no RPMs. Everyone is simply told what Cult they're in.
Johnnyw256 wrote:
Four questions:
1. What happens if eg PersonA targets PersonB and PersonB targets PersonA? Do they just switch or do they combine?
2. Who wins? Does everyone in the final cult win or only the person who originally had it?
3. When you're converted, do you get to know the identity of everyone else currently in your cult (including leader)?
4. Will there be any powers other than converts?

1. They would switch.
2. When one Cult outnumbers everyone else combined, everyone in that Cult at that time wins. Which is nice because that means, odds are, you'll win!
3. No, it's up to your team to contact you. As you may have noticed, there's a lot of not knowing who's on your team in this game. If anyone wants to know who else is on their team at any time, they have to keep track of who was converted to their side, and hope they're right. Remember, people aren't told when someone leaves their team, so whenever your team gets bigger, that makes everyone in it less trustworthy.
4. That's something I might try sometime, but for this game, no. Each team gets a collective convert, and that is all.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:49 pm 

Quote:
1. They would switch.
2. When one Cult outnumbers everyone else combined, everyone in that Cult at that time wins. Which is nice because that means, odds are, you'll win!
3. No, it's up to your team to contact you. As you may have noticed, there's a lot of not knowing who's on your team in this game. If anyone wants to know who else is on their team at any time, they have to keep track of who was converted to their side, and hope they're right. Remember, people aren't told when someone leaves their team, so whenever your team gets bigger, that makes everyone in it less trustworthy.
4. That's something I might try sometime, but for this game, no. Each team gets a collective convert, and that is all.

Cool, thanks. Looking forward to the game! :D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:38 pm 

Question: if a person is converted to a cult, are they told what cult they are converted to, or do they not know that either?

Beckman/Hopkins 2015-2016
LD 2016-2017
Ellerslie Discipleship Training Summer 2017
http://www.ellerslie.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:04 am 

Yes, everyone will always be kept up to date on what cult they're in.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:08 am 

Johnnyw256 wrote:

I just noticed the last part. I don't know what you mean by leader. There aren't leaders or anything. The person who sends in actions for the whole team is randomized each night. Wait, you were thinking of the leaders I mentioned in the story, weren't you? Those are just for story. They are observers who have no effect on the game itself.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:25 pm 

Mr. E. wrote:
Johnnyw256 wrote:

I just noticed the last part. I don't know what you mean by leader. There aren't leaders or anything. The person who sends in actions for the whole team is randomized each night. Wait, you were thinking of the leaders I mentioned in the story, weren't you? Those are just for story. They are observers who have no effect on the game itself.

Oh heh I meant the identity of the person who converted them :) but thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:33 am 

In

10-11 | Folkert/Folkert | Verdict | R8
11-12 | Folkert/Light | Verdict | R8
12-13 | Folkert/Light | Verdict | R8
13-14 | Folkert/Light | Verdict | R8
14-15 | Folkert/Porter | Arx Axiom | R8
15-16 | Doto/Folkert | Verdict | R8

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:53 pm 

in

"Never quote yourself on internet forums" - Gabriel Blacklock, 2014

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 Next