homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:32 pm
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 281 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 515 Next
 Post subject: Assassins 21
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:49 am 
you'll never guess

Home Schooled: Yes
Last Assassin got too busy. He settled down somewhere exotic, and subsequently handed the reins over to me.

"Me" being a well-known HSD member. Who, you might ask? Don’t you wish you knew. Look at the username and guess away.

But anyway, why the anonymity? Because I am a forum assassin and do not want to be associated with my true identity. As such, I have decided to kill everyone on this forum, one by one.

It is up to you to stop me. That’s right. 5 of you will be selected as police officers. It is your mission to track down who I am and arrest my true identity on the forums.

If you arrest the wrong person, you get a black mark on your record. Three marks, and you’re out of the force.

But how? Follow the forums and look for hints I drop. Those clues should show you who I am. I also have the same personality as my true identity, which could be very helpful for the shrewd among you. Or not. We'll see.

But anyway, so how does this game work? I will assassinate random (or not so random) HSD members, including the cops, when I see fit. If I kill all 5 cops, I win. But, just knocking off the cops takes the fun out of the game, so the chances of knocking off all five is very slim. I will drop hints as to my next victim, and if a cop finds out who that victim is and protects that person, he or she will not be killed.

After the game has been completed, the first person to PM me requesting to be the next Incognito will be given complete control of the account.

But enough talking already. The next five people to join will be the cops. No moderators, as they can easily view my IP address and compare, and that unfortunately takes the fun out of the game.

Post away. The game will start with an assassination after the 5 cops have been selected. I'll make those selections based off of the first five people to post expressing a desire to take me on. Heh, good luck with that. But anyway.

Sincerely,

Your Friendly Neighborhood Assassin.

Post subject: Re: Assassins 21
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:54 am 
Evil Democrat

Incognito wrote:
Last Assassin got too busy. He settled down somewhere exotic, and subsequently handed the reins over to me.

Correction: The last assassin wasn't a real assassin and was trying to weasel his way out of the fact that someone caught him.

$10 says Assassin 21 is from Cali.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:04 am 
you'll never guess

Hyper Static Union wrote:
Correction: The last assassin wasn't a real assassin and was trying to weasel his way out of the fact that someone caught him.

Oh come come. Brushing aside the fact that this doesn't actually "correct" my previous statement, I hardly think defamation like this is called for. Perhaps he wasn't a very skillful Assassin (I wouldn't know -- there is only one Assassin so far worth learning from, so I don't really pay any particular attention to the work of others), but he was an Assassin nonetheless.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:13 pm 
Evil Democrat

Incognito wrote:

Oh come come. Brushing aside the fact that this doesn't actually "correct" my previous statement, I hardly think defamation like this is called for. Perhaps he wasn't a very skillful Assassin (I wouldn't know -- there is only one Assassin so far worth learning from, so I don't really pay any particular attention to the work of others), but he was an Assassin nonetheless.

It actually completely corrects your statement. While your statement gives the assumption that he just retired, my correction shows what he really did.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:28 pm 

I don't usually follow these games, but I've watched enough to know that analyzing Incognito's grammar and writing style is an effective way to identify him. So, could Incog's use of the double dash (--) be one of these tendencies?

Along that line, a quick (and definitely incomplete) Google search of HSD shows that at least a few people have this preference. I've found that thehomeschooler, Halogen, nayrb, and keen all tend to use a double dash instead of a single dash. I have no doubt that others have this tendency as well, but maybe this is a clue to pursue?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:28 pm 
you'll never guess

It actually completely corrects your statement. While your statement gives the assumption that he just retired, my correction shows what he really did.

He...still retired?

Quote:
but maybe this is a clue to pursue?

It's all part of the plan.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:39 pm 
Laugh, or I will kill you

Incognito wrote:

$10 says Assassin 21 is from Cali.
Nobody caught me :P

Drew probably would have, but he hadn't yet. Mastermind never accused me, he only suspected me. You need warrants to back up your claims Joseph ;).

;) <3

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:50 pm 
Is now cool

lucky13 wrote:
[Nobody caught me :P

Yeah, no one caught you. Mastermind would have, but you went ahead and squealed on yourself. So either way... ;-)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:02 pm 
Laugh, or I will kill you

+X wrote:
lucky13 wrote:
[Nobody caught me :P

Yeah, no one caught you. Mastermind would have, but you went ahead and squealed on yourself. So either way... ;-)
Because he had locked my thread... so I had no choice... lol

Anyway, lets not let that game get in the way of this game. Your current assassin is a smart dude/chick, he/she will give ya'll a run for your money. Ya'll should sign up as cops.

;) <3

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:22 pm 
Is now cool

Fine, I'm in.

My first guess was Halogen, but it would have to be someone who's close with Daniel and doesn't know Roman numerals very well.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:25 pm 
Hot Ta-Molly

I'm a cop. And the grammar sounds like Scratch.

"Isn't it bewildering…that everything is so beautiful, despite all the horrors that exist?" -Sophie Scholl

Life Posterz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:30 pm 
Is now cool

Incognito wrote:
Oh come come.

Agreed, LYF. The lack of commas and the English sounding phrasology [Similar to his 'oh dear'] do sound like Scratch. Besides, I'm not sure he knows Roman numerals, and he's been talking to Daniel lately. AND has been looking into an Assassin game, if I remember our last conversation correctly.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:36 pm 
Hot Ta-Molly

Agreed-the "Oh come come" was the first thing to tip me off. But also, all of Incog's sentences are structured in similar patterns to Scratch's inquisitor article. This could just be a mask though.

"Isn't it bewildering…that everything is so beautiful, despite all the horrors that exist?" -Sophie Scholl

Life Posterz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:50 pm 

Lil Yellow Fireball wrote:
Agreed-the "Oh come come" was the first thing to tip me off. But also, all of Incog's sentences are structured in similar patterns to Scratch's inquisitor article. This could just be a mask though.
Can Incogs really have masks?
Incognito wrote:
I also have the same personality as my true identity

Parental Rights!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:57 pm 

Philip wrote:
Can Incogs really have masks?
Incognito wrote:
I also have the same personality as my true identity

Did you even watch Danny's game? Or Assassin XV? The latter examples has more obvious usage of masks, but Danny was big on impersonations.

Delta_FC

Dawn wrote:
Josh R

Yes?
+X wrote:
Hm. Eminem/MNM would mean Delta F_C... oF course

Join the epidemic
Variola Eradication, Geneva, May 2011

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:55 pm 

I'll try to be a cop.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:00 pm 
titles are too mainstream.

I'lllll be a cop I guess.

David Roth wrote:
you make my life hell.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:38 pm 
His bark is worse than his scratch

+X wrote:
Incognito wrote:
Oh come come.

Agreed, LYF. The lack of commas and the English sounding phraseology [Similar to his 'oh dear'] do sound like Scratch. Besides, I'm not sure he knows Roman numerals, and he's been talking to Daniel lately. AND has been looking into an Assassin game, if I remember our last conversation correctly.
Agreed-the "Oh come come" was the first thing to tip me off. But also, all of Incog's sentences are structured in similar patterns to Scratch's inquisitor articles. This could just be a mask though.

Didn't you two find plenty of reasons for why I was Incognito last game? o_0

Also: "oh dear"(TM) is an exclamation, not a direct reference to a "dear". Thus, no need for a comma. :-P

Drew wrote:
Blanket statements are bad.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:44 pm 
Hot Ta-Molly

Scratch wrote:
Didn't you two find plenty of reasons for why I was Incognito last game? o_0

Also: "oh dear"(TM) is an exclamation, not a direct reference to a "dear". Thus, no need for a comma. :-P

"Interjections show excitement, or emotion. They're usually set apart from a sentence by an exclamation point, or by a comma when the feeling's not as strong.

And I'm pretty sure that "oh dear" is an interjection.

Life Posterz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:05 pm 
His bark is worse than his scratch

And I'm pretty sure that "oh dear" is an interjection.

*cough*

According to Dictionary.com, exclamation means:
1. the act of exclaiming; outcry; loud complaint or protest
2. an interjection.

So, you are correct in that an exclamation can be an interjection, and, as such, the phrase "oh dear" can be used as an interjection. However I do not typically use that phrase as a interjection, but instead an exclamation: similar to that of "fudge" or "drat". Fudge and drat, though - as previously stated - they can be tied onto sentences in the form of a interjection, can also be simply used as a simple exclamation of emotion, with no following sentence. This is how I typically use the phrase "oh dear", and, as such, require no comma in the majority of cases when I use it.

:-P

Drew wrote:
Blanket statements are bad.

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 281 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 515 Next