Project 79They ran
. Mr. Glasses sprinted over the thin carpeting on the dusty old airport nestled in the mountains of Switzerland, while the heavy briefcase weighted down on him. Next to him was Timbalistea, though less burdened.
“Just... one... more gate....”, Tim gasped as he took the briefcase from his fellow spy and proceeded to knock over a pile of baggage held by an old lady. “Dearly.... sorry about that..” he yelled back, ignoring the stares of the few people waiting for a coffee at Starbucks. They rounded the corner of the terminal and flew down the tunnel to the waiting airplane.
“WHAT TOOK YOU SO LONG?!?”, the pilot yelled over the sound of twin turboprop engine revving against the icy blowing snow, as the two fell into the seats and were jolted forwards by the sudden motion of the airplane.
“Well, see...”, he paused to pant, “we had some trouble with the Swiss. Apparently they weren't too happy about us stealing this.” Tim pointed to the steel briefcase. “Plus it was hit or miss there for a couple days working against the West and their double ag--”
“Uh-oh, TROUBLE.”, the pilot interrupted, as the radio crackled to life.
“Aero charlie five-niner, please taxi to runway north-fiver and throttle down your engines.”
It didn't take long for any of the three in the plane to figure out what was happening-- already police cars and military humvees were scrambling out onto the runway specified. Several Gripens screamed overhead, and choppers approached from a distance, making their intentions clear.
It was finished.
Or so they thought...
Tim sat in his cell, staring down at his bright orange prison jumpsuit, complete with blazing slippers to match. It had been two weeks, and he figured he ought to start ticking the days off, lest he forget how long it had been in his old age. Just as he was about to make the first scratch in the wall, the cell door swung open, and the jailer was there with a set of civilian clothes.
“This way.”, he ordered gruffly. Swiss wardens weren't known for their kindness, and this one was no exception. He led him into a private room with a strangely familiar face sitting at a bland table. It was J. Smith, the person who didn't exist.
“I'd like to publicly congratulate you on your successful mission. I say publicly, because I know the walls somehow have ears.”, he said, staring pointedly at the innocent looking light fixture. “Let's get you out of here.”
The two walked out to a nearby bus terminal, to find Mr. Glasses waiting. Several suspicious characters lurked about, neither too close, nor too far from the three, so not a word was said until the bus arrived.
The three got onto the bus, and J. Smith took the wheel and explained.
“Via some high-level government negotiations, we were able to get you both released, along with the briefcase of intelligence that is on this bus. Unfortunately, your transfer of the cipher was jammed by Swiss intelligence, so you will need to give tha--!”.
His dead body fell, dead to the floor of the bus, shot through the head by a sniper bullet.. The vehicle careened off the road and slammed into several nearby trees. Timbalistea and Mr. Glasses were dragged out by strong arms, thrown onto the back of snowmobiles and zipped off into the distance
The entire bus exploded in a cloud of flame from several grenades, destroying any evidence that anyone had been inside.
Some hours later they awoke. It was strangely quiet, after all they had been through. A hum of a nearby vent was the only sound, and the only light came from a single LED above a door. As they blinked the sleep away, the door swung sharply inward, revealing a sharply dressed man in a suit and power tie. He had an aura of power about him-- an aura of command and control. Someone who would enforce justice and make injustice quake in fear.
“Welcome aboard the ISS Pax Mundus (world peace). It is indeed a great pleasure to have you join us. I have read of your exploits previously and am quite looking forward to hearing your perspective. For now, you are wondering why you are here. Thus, I give you this.”. The man passed over a manila folder with no markings on the outside. “It will explain what is necessary, and no more. Please do not hesitate to walk around if you wish-- you will be spending some time here, so you might as well be acquainted with you surroundings. I am sorry I cannot explain more in person, but I have other matters to attend to. I bid you a good day.”
The door swung closed, leaving the two staring at the metal that filled the doorway.
The file read thusly:
The ISS Pax Mundus is a super-secret submarine developed by Swift Enterprises. You are here because you have valuable information as a government agent. You are here because we want to protect you.
The “we” is:
Captain Marc Shark
Commander Jimmy Fallon
Pilot Ron Jones
Lieutenant Rocky Smith
We four comprise the crew of the ISS Pax Mundus-- most of the systems aboard are automated, allowing us to remain alert at all times. We have spent the past year gathering agents from around the world to be here, and you complete the agents we need. Our mission is to make known all that is hidden, starting with the formula you have acquired from the Swiss. Needless to say, world governments aren't too happy about our goal, which is why we are aboard a submarine, parked in deathly silence.
Please enjoy your stay.
Captain Mark Shark
Alrighty. So that long story leads to the game.
You are an agent working for a country. You will have other agents on your country. It is your goal to work together with others be the last one alive, and thus obtain the immense amounts of classified information aboard the sub.
To achieve this object, you will have several tools at your disposal.
Your ear. Yep, you read that right. You can spend the night with your ear up against the metal wall of your bunk. In doing so, you can hear any movement aboard the ship-- you are, after all, in a metal can at the bottom of the sea. With a little bit of deduction, you can discern the actions of up to three people.
Your hacking skillz. As a skilled government agent, you've been training in cyberwarfare since you were a young'un. You can hack the sub mainframe to determine what country an agent is working for by checking the logs on the data link. A warning: sometimes agents expect this and use creative ways to get around the logs-- or, worse yet, change the proxies so as to make it appear they are from a certain country. Or, an even worse result, is you could get caught by Marc Shark hacking his mainframe. Oooh. That should be fun. For me, anyway.
Finally, your knife. Every government agent has one, and you know how to use it. You may kill one person per night, though you have a 50% chance of failure, and a 75% chance of discovery if you are successful, and a 25% chance if you fail. You are, after all, in a sub, and it's hard to hide a bloody knife on a sub. Unfortunately, they confiscated your poison before you boarded. Yeah. And guns are a bad idea.
You may also protect. Chances are 100% that you will stop the attack, and 90% that you will reveal who the murderer is. Protection may be overwhelmed my multiple attacks
(update, 9/3/10, 3:27 PM)
No screenshots, rubbings or xerox copies.
Hyena packs are encouraged.
I reserve the right to make changes to these periodically (probably will need to)
If ya'll have questions about anything, please tell me because I'm sure I left something out.
Mark Shark (no my name isn't, but for the purposes of this game it is
P.S. Corkscrew. Blade. Saw. Nail file. You get the point. They're back.
P.P.S. Yeah, I wrote the story in multiple sitting, so apologies if it's a little haphazard and not pulitzer-prize quality.
P.P.P.S. I just used Mr. Glasses and Tim as characters because they won the last game. They'll hold no special status this game.