homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:32 pm
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Drew [AFF] vs. Bee [NEG]
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:39 pm 
Cupcake

Home Schooled: Yes
Much thanks to Veronica for offering to debate me; I'm sure it'll be a lot of fun.

I'm not too big on rules, but here are some:

1,500 word limit and a two day time limit (I'm very busy, and I'm sure you are too, Veronica).

I also feel inclined to nix CX, but it might be imprudent to do so.

I'm open to as many judges as possible, but let's start with three and work from there. As soon as we have three, I'll post the 1AC.

[I'm going to add the judges who sign up and if you, Veronica, have a problem, then just let me know and I'll take them off.]

Judges:

- Caleb Pena
- Masked Midnight
- Daniel Thomas
- G-Force
- Joel Thomas
- Peter Voell

Last edited by Drew on Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:33 am, edited 6 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:48 pm 

I'll judge if both debaters don't mind.

O God, grant what Thou dost command, and command what Thou wilt -- Augustine

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:23 pm 

Location: I can't think of anything witty right now...so...RIX
I'll judge. This should be fun. Request: Please don't do those really long cross exes where you follow up on 10 questions simultaneously with five page essays.

Judging Philosophy: No parametrics, topical CPs, silly Ks, or unorthodox theory arguments like RVIs. If you do run them, I will listen carefully and decide based on what is presented. But I warn you that my subconscious bias is against these arguments.

Stick with stock issues, and BE CONCISE. I want more evidence than long essays. I can read the evidence myself without bothering with two pages of your analysis. No offense. The quibble I usually have with VDebates is that they end up taking more of your time than an ACTUAL debate round. I want to spend no more than an hour and half actually reading your posts. I'll spend about an extra half hour for deliberation and my own analysis for a total of two hours that I want to be involved with your debate.

08-09 | Thomas/Young | Broke to Regionals
09-10 | Brake/Thomas | Broke to Nats
10-11 | Black/Thomas | Won Regionals, 7th at Nats
11-12 | Comfort/Thomas | Won 2 Qualifiers, Won Regionals
12-13 | LD Debater | 3rd overall in RIX, 7th at Nats

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:58 pm 

I would Like to Judge as Well.

Policy Debater

Lane/Lane | NCFCA RIX | Atlantic | '10-'11
Lane/Lane | NCFCA RIX | Independent | '11-'12
Lane/Lewis | NCFCA RVIII | UADC | '12-'13
Lane/Lane | NCFCA RVIII | Verdict | '13-'14

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:52 pm 
Forerunner

Me three! :D

Judging Philosophy: I am a hobo from off the streets.....if your plan gives me money....I iz happy. if not, then I vote for double loss. got it? k good.

Liberty University

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:55 pm 
Cupcake

Alright, well here's the 1AC.

I'd be interested in snagging some alumni or coaches as well, or maybe even people from outside of RIX (Thanks Caleb!).

It's a mini-case case (I might argue that I only have to win one), so if you have problem with that, then you might not want to judge.

1AC: Wrongful Convictions

And just as a preface, I've put no work beyond the 1AC into this and Veronica is in Stoa!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:09 pm 

Drew wrote:

It's a mini-case case (I might argue that I only have to win one), so if you have problem with that, then you might not want to judge.

I may not agree with you but I will decide based on how you convince me of the theory's validity and whether Bee challenges your assertions and can convince me. Basically, I have a bias but I'm enforcing tabula rasa upon myself.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:34 am 
Cupcake

Peter Voell wrote:
I'll judge if you want.

I do want.

Also, I'm at a tournament tomorrow and Saturday. I'll try to respond when I can.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:52 am 
Bumble! Bumble!

Hi, many apologies for forgetting this. :oops:
It suddenly came to mind that I'd signed up to debate Drew about 30 seconds ago. And I logged on to HSD, and hurried to VDebates. I haven't read the 1AC yet. I'll get a response up quickly, though. Very, very, sorry, all. :(

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:01 am 
Bumble! Bumble!

CX of 1AC
NEG: First of all, may I ask for links to the Electronic Recording of Custodial Interrogations Act, and the Preservation of Biological Evidence Act, please?

NEG: Do you have numbers on the cost to state agencies of implementing the Electronic Recording of Custodial Interrogations and Preservation of Biological Evidence acts?

NEG: How many states have passed each act?

NEG: How will electronic recording prevent false testimonies?

NEG: Is there a penalty for failing to adhere to the Preservation of Biological Evidence act?

NEG: How will these penalties be enforced?

NEG: Could you briefly explain your Justification of "Strings Attached Restoration"?

NEG: Does the Wrongful Convictions Tax Relief Act provide tax relief to previous offenders?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:29 am 
Cupcake

CX of 1AC
NEG: First of all, may I ask for links to the Electronic Recording of Custodial Interrogations Act, and the Preservation of Biological Evidence Act, please?
AFF: Sure, I'll get those to you.

NEG: Do you have numbers on the cost to state agencies of implementing the Electronic Recording of Custodial Interrogations and Preservation of Biological Evidence acts?
AFF: Nope.

AFF: Seeing as they are federal, none of them have. I know some states have policies on interrogation recording though.

AFF: Right now aggressive interrogation tactics can oftentimes lead to a false confession and therefore wrongful imprisonment. About 25% of known wrongful convictions were due to a false interrogation. By recording them we can tell EVERYTHING that was said instead of relying on handwritten notes and a final statement that a suspect committed a crime.

NEG: Is there a penalty for failing to adhere to the Preservation of Biological Evidence act?
AFF: It's breaking the law, so I'm not sure. But I assume that any convictions where evidence have not been met are liable for appeal.

AFF: See above.

NEG: Could you briefly explain your Justification of "Strings Attached Restoration"?
AFF: We give people compensation after being exonerated, but the IRS takes away usually about 50%, thus the restoration isn't totally complete or just.

NEG: Does the Wrongful Convictions Tax Relief Act provide tax relief to previous offenders?
AFF: Previous exonerees? I assume not if the compensation process has already been completed.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:48 pm 
Bumble! Bumble!

CX of 1AC
AFF: Sure, I'll get those to you.
AFF: Might I get those relatively quickly, if you don't mind?

AFF: Nope.

AFF: Seeing as they are federal, none of them have. I know some states have policies on interrogation recording though.

AFF: Right now aggressive interrogation tactics can oftentimes lead to a false confession and therefore wrongful imprisonment. About 25% of known wrongful convictions were due to a false interrogation. By recording them we can tell EVERYTHING that was said instead of relying on handwritten notes and a final statement that a suspect committed a crime.

AFF: It's breaking the law, so I'm not sure. But I assume that any convictions where evidence have not been met are liable for appeal.

AFF: See above.

AFF: We give people compensation after being exonerated, but the IRS takes away usually about 50%, thus the restoration isn't totally complete or just.

AFF: Previous exonerees? I assume not if the compensation process has already been completed.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:56 am 
Cupcake

A'ight, I'm gonna be simple and see how it goes.

If you don't mind, let's change the first and second mandates to the following:

"1. Electronic Recording:

a. All statements made by a person during a custodial interrogation relating to a crime described in the U.S. Code shall be electronically recorded.

b. If any part of the interrogation necessarily takes place outside of a place of detention, audio recording is an acceptable alternative to audio and visual recording.

c. In places of detention, the camera shall be simultaneously focused upon both the interrogator and the suspect.

All statements made by a person during a custodial interrogation that are not electronically recorded, and all statements made thereafter by the person during the custodial interrogations, including but not limited to statements that are electronically recorded, shall be inadmissible as evidence against the person in any criminal or juvenile delinquency proceeding brought against the person."

"2. In all crimes under federal jurisdiction, the federal government shall preserve all evidence:

a. That is secured in relation to an investigation or prosecution of a crime for the period of time that the crime remains unsolved; or

b. That is secured in relation to an investigation or prosecution of a crime for the period of time that the person convicted of that crime remains in custody; and

c. That is in the custody of a law enforcement agency on the passing of this plan."

And the third mandate stays the same since I actually have an act for that one! :D

I hope that's alright with you, Veronica! I'm still working out the specs.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:56 am 

Can we judges post a running commentary as long as it doesn't reveal anything about our decision/biases/leaning?

Like my comment about your mandates: That's going to be "fun" to flow!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:00 am 
Cupcake

Amodeum wrote:
Can we judges post a running commentary as long as it doesn't reveal anything about our decision/biases/leaning?

Like my comment about your mandates: That's going to be "fun" to flow!

Sure.

Sorry about the length. If you want, you can imagine them as the acts. : P

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:10 pm 
Cupcake

Peter Voell wrote:
Uh. Are judges in real rounds allowed to give running commentary? No. Do comments make online threads messy? Yes. It is possible to make comments that truly don't give away any of your bias/preferences/opinions? Rarely.

good point.

can you delete any posts not part of the debate?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:29 pm 
Bumble! Bumble!

Okay, I'm fine with that, Drew. And I'm really sorry for not getting a speech up within the deadlines...

I'm really busy right now, and I don't think I'll be able to comply with the deadlines any better for the rest of the month. So if we could either postpone the debate at least until December or call it off, that would be great. Really sorry, I thought I'd have time; but I don't, there's too much going on. :cry: