homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:47 am
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Liberty University
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:42 am 
Forerunner

Home Schooled: Yes
What are people's thoughts on the University?
How is the quality of education?
How is the campus life and enforcement of rules?
Is there diversity of opinion?

Especially wondering if there are HSD alumni who attended the University who have any thoughts.

Liberty University

Post subject: Re: Liberty University
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:34 pm 

I love Liberty and I love Jerry Jr., but I vehemently disagree with his association with the Trump campaign and administration. That's my primary complaint.

I felt that the quality of education was good. I was in the Honors Program, as was my husband. I was a psychology major and he was a computer science major, so I can answer questions about those specific programs if anyone has them.

The director of the Honors Program is very pro-homeschooling. My New Testament professor's children were homeschooled. That being said, this is not a Patrick Henry type experience where almost everybody was homeschooled. Most people went to public school.

If you're a National Merit Finalist, you can get a full ride scholarship. My husband was a National Merit Finalist, so I can get you more details if you're interested in that. Are you still interested in being a doctor? If so, I'm honestly not sure how great the quality of the pre-med program is. I know the nursing program is very strong. While there are STEM majors available, I'd say the bulk of the students gravitate more towards the business/education/liberal arts side of things.

I did the Washington Fellowship internship program as a student and then worked for a year as an assistant to the program. I highly recommend it. Going to DC was perhaps the most influential experience of my undergraduate career.

Campus life: there's always a lot going on. It's a big school compared to most other Christian colleges, which I loved but some might find overwhelming. The rules have changed substantially since I graduated a year and a half ago. I personally didn't think they were that big of a deal, but I came from a pretty conservative household.

Diversity of opinion: ish. :P There is a relatively small but very vocal libertarian population (love y'all, even though I don't agree <3). I knew some Democrats, but not a ton. The debate team is more liberal than the rest of the student body. We also have some very vocal Calvinists. You really need to visit to get a good feel for it. It's definitely more of a mainstream Southern Baptist vibe than a fundamentalist Bob Jones vibe.

Edit: I did my internship at the (very liberal) American Psychological Association.

COG Author | NCFCA Alumna | Wife and Mother

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:21 pm 
Forerunner

bigsister23 wrote:
I felt that the quality of education was good. I was in the Honors Program, as was my husband. I was a psychology major and he was a computer science major, so I can answer questions about those specific programs if anyone has them.

I'm actually looking at the Honors Program and can get a full-tuition scholarship. Is it worth doing and helpful? How was your experience with that.

bigsister23 wrote:
The director of the Honors Program is very pro-homeschooling. My New Testament professor's children were homeschooled. That being said, this is not a Patrick Henry type experience where almost everybody was homeschooled. Most people went to public school.

That's good! I've actually been private-schooled now for about two years and a half but I'm more than fine with homeschoolers of course! :)

Thanks for the insights on campus life and diversity of opinion as well. It seems they have moved to being more lenient with some rules in the last two years.

Liberty University

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:53 pm 

Forerunner wrote:
bigsister23 wrote:

I'm actually looking at the Honors Program and can get a full-tuition scholarship. Is it worth doing and helpful? How was your experience with that.

bigsister23 wrote:

That's good! I've actually been private-schooled now for about two years and a half but I'm more than fine with homeschoolers of course! :)

Thanks for the insights on campus life and diversity of opinion as well. It seems they have moved to being more lenient with some rules in the last two years.

You definitely want to do the Honors Program. It's really not a ton of extra work, and it's worth it for the scholarship money. You also see some of the same people over and over in honors classes, so it gives a big school the feel of a smaller school. My husband met one of his best friends through the Honors Program. They were roommates for three years and the guy was in our wedding.

One more thing about diversity of opinion: they had Bernie Sanders speak. Some religious speakers are not Southern Baptist in doctrine, even though Liberty is a Southern Baptist school.

What do you want to major in?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:18 am 

I have really enjoyed my time at Liberty University. The quality of your education will be what you put into it. Being in the honors college will definitely help, and will put you around people who truly care academically. It is certainly possible for you to skate by if you look for ways to get out of doing work, but the classes I have taken as a history major have more than provided me with challenging material to learn from. Most of my professors have been deliberate about diversifying the opinions presented in my readings, and you are not penalized if you choose to study or write about topics that go against the grain of conservatism. The internships and connections the university has are awesome. Especially internships. You can be placed in some pretty amazing places if you distinguish yourself and work hard.

Being a member of student leadership, the rules are really not that bad. Curfew is annoying, but there are only a few reasons why it would actually be a bother for you. Pretty much everything around Liberty is closed by curfew anyway. The dress code is hardly demanding and frankly, could stand to be a bit more professional if anything.

Campus opinion is fairly homogenous (conservative baptist), but there are plenty of subgroups and cultures to plug into. Most of them are very welcoming honestly, even if you don't agree/don't usually hang out with them.

Head Instructor
Private Coach
Executive Editor of the 2015-16 and 2016-17 Tools for Team Policy Debate Sourcebook

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:52 am 
Forerunner

bigsister23 wrote:
You definitely want to do the Honors Program. It's really not a ton of extra work, and it's worth it for the scholarship money. You also see some of the same people over and over in honors classes, so it gives a big school the feel of a smaller school. My husband met one of his best friends through the Honors Program. They were roommates for three years and the guy was in our wedding.

One more thing about diversity of opinion: they had Bernie Sanders speak. Some religious speakers are not Southern Baptist in doctrine, even though Liberty is a Southern Baptist school.

What do you want to major in?

I'm looking towards Pre-Med. Yeah that's what I hear about honors college giving a smaller school feel. I honestly have no problem with a big school but that seems like you can have both in a way.

I heard they did at their convocation. I was more wondering in terms of how it is with student opinion. With a student body that is that large, It seems inevitable that there will be different opinion, I was just wondering how it is accepted.

For example, a couple current students this year I know at liberty felt that diversity of opinion was lacking during this election cycle. When I visited Liberty two weeks ago, the first thing I noticed was sidewalk paint with a picture of Trump that said "Trump Won. Get over it."

Glassman wrote:
Being a member of student leadership, the rules are really not that bad. Curfew is annoying, but there are only a few reasons why it would actually be a bother for you. Pretty much everything around Liberty is closed by curfew anyway. The dress code is hardly demanding and frankly, could stand to be a bit more professional if anything.

Campus opinion is fairly homogenous (conservative baptist), but there are plenty of subgroups and cultures to plug into. Most of them are very welcoming honestly, even if you don't agree/don't usually hang out with them.

With the rules, do kids generally respect and follow them? Or does it vary from RA to RA and student to student? Having attended a private school, I would most likely be having MORE rules in college than high school ironically. That isn't a huge issue for me, but one thing that can happen often at Christian schools with strict rules is that kids have no respect for the authorities or there really is strong hypocrisy.

Thanks so much to both of you for the insight. Also, is the commons a good place to live on campus? That's where honors hall is apparently.

Liberty University

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:13 pm 

In general, yes, the rules are followed. There are certainly some bad apples here and there, but in general, most people respect where the rules come from. The RA and RD you are under matters. Sometimes, the rules are very strictly adhered to in a disciplinary sense. Sometimes, the rules are used as a starting point that sparks discussion about choices in a constructive way. I think both are valid ways to use the rules because of how they are written.

You can certainly find hypocrisy, just like you will in Church. It can be extremely frustrating, but you also can make a significant impact by modeling what respect for authority looks like. TBH, it's not that Liberty has students that are somehow more hypocritical than other schools... it's that Liberty expects a lot from its students, and you see who people really are when you hold them to higher standards. I've chosen to treat it as a leadership opportunity, and I try to give people the grace I want them to give me when I also make mistakes. The only times it becomes frustrating is when I have a self-centered, holier-than-thou attitude and forget to check my pride when I look at people around me. Which is ironically when I usually make poor decisions that expose my hypocrisy. :roll:

My girlfriend currently lives in the Commons, as she *really* likes it. You have an easy way to build community because girls and guys halls have a common hang-out room that seems to be very active and lively. The living accommodations seem nice. Have a Dunkin Donuts and Baskin Robins on your first floor certainly isn't the worst benefit in the world either. It's a pricey option, but you do get what you pay for.

Head Instructor
Private Coach
Executive Editor of the 2015-16 and 2016-17 Tools for Team Policy Debate Sourcebook

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:34 am 

Stay away from Liberty. I had a very poor experience there. Go to any other Christian school (except BJU, PHC, or Pensacola).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:52 pm 

Home Schooled: No
If you can, attend a CFAW (College for a Weekend). It's a good way to see whether the school is a match for you, or not. I know multiple students who knew it was or was not for them after attending CFAW.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:09 am 
Forerunner

Glassman wrote:
In general, yes, the rules are followed. There are certainly some bad apples here and there, but in general, most people respect where the rules come from. The RA and RD you are under matters. Sometimes, the rules are very strictly adhered to in a disciplinary sense. Sometimes, the rules are used as a starting point that sparks discussion about choices in a constructive way. I think both are valid ways to use the rules because of how they are written.

You can certainly find hypocrisy, just like you will in Church. It can be extremely frustrating, but you also can make a significant impact by modeling what respect for authority looks like. TBH, it's not that Liberty has students that are somehow more hypocritical than other schools... it's that Liberty expects a lot from its students, and you see who people really are when you hold them to higher standards. I've chosen to treat it as a leadership opportunity, and I try to give people the grace I want them to give me when I also make mistakes. The only times it becomes frustrating is when I have a self-centered, holier-than-thou attitude and forget to check my pride when I look at people around me. Which is ironically when I usually make poor decisions that expose my hypocrisy. :roll:

My girlfriend currently lives in the Commons, as she *really* likes it. You have an easy way to build community because girls and guys halls have a common hang-out room that seems to be very active and lively. The living accommodations seem nice. Have a Dunkin Donuts and Baskin Robins on your first floor certainly isn't the worst benefit in the world either. It's a pricey option, but you do get what you pay for.

Thanks so much for the insight! What year are you at Liberty?

debateohana wrote:
If you can, attend a CFAW (College for a Weekend). It's a good way to see whether the school is a match for you, or not. I know multiple students who knew it was or was not for them after attending CFAW.

I have visited campus and talked to many students. Am I still missing out on not going to CFAW? My only hesitation is that I've heard everything is catered to visitors that week and it's not really an accurate representation of Liberty.

Liberty University

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:57 am 

Forerunner wrote:
I'm looking towards Pre-Med. Yeah that's what I hear about honors college giving a smaller school feel. I honestly have no problem with a big school but that seems like you can have both in a way.

I heard they did at their convocation. I was more wondering in terms of how it is with student opinion. With a student body that is that large, It seems inevitable that there will be different opinion, I was just wondering how it is accepted.

For example, a couple current students this year I know at liberty felt that diversity of opinion was lacking during this election cycle. When I visited Liberty two weeks ago, the first thing I noticed was sidewalk paint with a picture of Trump that said "Trump Won. Get over it."

Are you wondering about different opinions about Trump specifically? That I do not know. Trump was not the first choice of many students though, as evidenced by the primary results in Liberty's precinct: http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing- ... university

Forerunner wrote:
I have visited campus and talked to many students. Am I still missing out on not going to CFAW? My only hesitation is that I've heard everything is catered to visitors that week and it's not really an accurate representation of Liberty.

Have you ever spent the night in a dorm? It would be good to do that. Most of the rules that people complain about are related to dorm life.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:35 am 

Home Schooled: No
debateohana wrote:

I have visited campus and talked to many students. Am I still missing out on not going to CFAW? My only hesitation is that I've heard everything is catered to visitors that week and it's not really an accurate representation of Liberty.[/quote]

It made a difference for my girls, even though they had visited campus and knew students who attended. It gave a different sort of insight. None of them regretted their decision to attend, although one has transferred since she figured out what she wanted to do (and Liberty doesn't have the program). It's not a good match for my son, as they don't have his area of interest as an undergrad degree program.

Yes, some things are out of the ordinary (ie concerts, etc), but attending a couple of classes will give you a good sense of the academic level and emphases. Staying in a dorm gives you a good sense of the rules, the camaraderie (or not), and whether the location makes a difference in your choice of dorm. There is a lot of helpful information in their financial aid workshop that applies no matter where you apply.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:18 am 
Forerunner

Thanks for all the input. I received a good scholarship there and acceptance to their honors program, so I'll most likely be attending there in the fall.

Liberty University