homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:24 pm
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Reputation system
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:31 am 

Home Schooled: Yes
It might be nice to have a reputation points system, and allow users to "dislike" or "like" posts. (karma)

Post subject: Re: Reputation system
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:36 am 
Get off my lawn, young'ins!

The last time this came up, there was some support, but we didn't end up implementing anything except the Facebook "like" button you see at the top of each thread.

To get discussion started: how do you think a rep system would benefit the community? Should it have likes and dislikes or just likes? Should users accumulate total points (like Reddit), or should likes just appear on posts themselves (like Facebook)?

COG 2016 generics-only sourcebook - NCFCA/Stoa (thread)
Factsmith research software - v1.4 currently available (thread)
Loose Nukes debate blog - stuff to read with your eyes.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:03 pm 

I think there should be likes and dislikes. Not to create a homogenized cult of agreement like reddit, since it wouldn't affect visibility of posts, but to encourage good posting. The reputation point total would be cumulative, and you would have to reach a certain standing to be able to "dislike" something.

For example I recently posted some somewhat frivolous things in a Controversy Corner thread. I might have thought twice about it and preserved the serious nature of the thread if I had been at 101 reputation points and in danger of losing my right to dislike things. I guess my same thinking applies to grossly faulty or repetitive posts and such, and conversely to forums like Media Stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:49 pm 

I think that HSD should encourage the sharing of thoughts and talking through issues rather than thoughtless likes or dislikes.

10-11 | Folkert/Folkert | Verdict | R8
11-12 | Folkert/Light | Verdict | R8
12-13 | Folkert/Light | Verdict | R8
13-14 | Folkert/Light | Verdict | R8
14-15 | Folkert/Porter | Arx Axiom | R8
15-16 | Doto/Folkert | Verdict | R8

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:01 pm 
Hint hint peoples.

Hammy wrote:
I think that HSD should encourage the sharing of thoughts and talking through issues rather than thoughtless likes or dislikes.

This. While upvotes/downvotes or reputation systems are appropriate for sites like Reddit and other forums, I think HSD is a different type of place. It would be bad if HSD devolved into where you get downvoted because you or your opinion is unpopular and upvoted because of name recognition. A reputation system would most likely decrease critical thinking. If you want to express support or disapproval of someone's post, say so in a post of your own. You don't need a little "like" button to do that.

As the deer pants for the water brooks, so pants my soul for You, O God. -Psalm 42:1

Truth is treason in an empire of lies...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:29 pm 

Hammy wrote:

I agree ... which is why I want a reputation system. As it stands now HSD does seem like a place of thoughtless likes and dislikes, only instead of in a tidy, separate system that you have the option to see, those likes and dislikes are hashed out in the form of redundant and repetitive posts that clutter up and confuse topics.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:30 pm 

ShaynePC wrote:
I think that ends up hurting arguments and free speech

Lost me at free speech. (that's the kind of thing I could put in a rep comment instead of taking up another post)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:15 pm 

ShaynePC wrote:
For instance, I think we all know that if we had such a system, Gabe would have a million negative points, even though he is friendly, tries to have constructive arguments, and isn't a jerk.
Yeah, that was the example that came to my mind, too. I really like having Gabe around: if nothing else, he singlehandedly fuels like 50% of the discussion in PD and Controversy Corner. :lol: I disagree with almost everything he says, but there's no denying we've had a lot of interesting discussions we might not have had without him. I wouldn't want to see the downvote brigade get involved.

IMHO a rep system is a potentially-problematic solution in search of a problem. But still... there are times when I see a good post and really wish I could "like" it. One compromise might be to only have "like" buttons, and to not put them in the Public Debate and Controversy Corner forums (where they could be most problematic).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:47 am 

MSD wrote:
IMHO a rep system is a potentially-problematic solution in search of a problem. But still... there are times when I see a good post and really wish I could "like" it. One compromise might be to only have "like" buttons, and to not put them in the Public Debate and Controversy Corner forums (where they could be most problematic).

To me, like buttons without dislike buttons exacerbates the problems you've all mentioned. And the Public Debate and Controversy Corner forums would be the only ones where the system would be any use. So I can't say I'd be in favor of that, although I appreciate your consideration of the idea.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:50 am 

My thinking was that Controversy Corner is more prone to vote-brigading and people getting their feelings hurt; whereas debate and Silly Stuff have a lot of posts that people might want to like, but low controversy. (Until you start talking about topical counterplans, anyway.)

But I don't mean to be the last word - that was just a thought to prompt discussion. Continue. :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:55 am 

MSD wrote:
My thinking was that Controversy Corner is more prone to vote-brigading and people getting their feelings hurt; whereas debate and Silly Stuff have a lot of posts that people might want to like, but low controversy. (Until you start talking about topical counterplans, anyway.)

But I don't mean to be the last word - that was just a thought to prompt discussion. Continue. :)

I tend to agree with you. I feel like a like/dislike system would make HSD into more of a popularity contest. To compare, people are much less likely to post on Facebook/Twitter/whatever if they feel like they would get significantly less "likes" than other posts they see. It would discourage newbies from posting as much and might make those who get a lot of dislikes either stop posting or stop frequenting the site altogether.

Ethos is also pretty cool, you should check it out.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:06 pm 
Guardian of the Black Room

Quote:
And ok, "Free speech" was a bad term to use. I was thinking more what other people had to say, that is would compromise people's posting in the same was Facebook likes can.

If you were still arguing free speech, I would have left this here: http://xkcd.com/1357/ (language warning) :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:14 pm 

ShaynePC wrote:
And lets be honest, the fact that Gabe got overwhelmingly voted as "worst thread starter"- even though he never started any controversial threads- shows that there is (no blame being thrown anywhere) people who would downvote in a manner that is counter-constructive.
Seriously. What threads did he even start? Dinosaur DNA? That thread was fun. :-)