homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:47 am
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:29 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 7:14 am
Posts: 1742
Home Schooled: No
Location: Modesto/Sacramento, CA
We're in the process of restructuring the Forums to make them more accessible, safer for younger users, and better customized to suit all of you.

Part of this process was the creation of several usergroups that you can join depending on your interest in various aspects of the site:
  • NCFCA: if you are a member of, affiliated with, or simply interested in anything related to the NCFCA, please join this group.
  • Stoa: if you are a member of, affiliated with, or simply interested in anything related to Stoa, please join this group.
  • Public Discussion: if you want to participate in discussions with people from all walks of life, and are old enough or have your parents' permission, you can join this group.
  • Controversial Topics: if you want to participate in public discussions that may address topics that might be controversial, and are old enough or have your parents' permission, you can join this group.

To join a group, go to your User Control Panel and select the "Usergroups" tab. Find the group you want to join, select the radio button on the right next to that group, select "Join selected" from the box at the bottom, and Submit. Repeat for any other groups you want to be a part of.

You will be able to join or leave these groups at any time, so if a forum seems to have disappeared, you might just need to add yourself to the appropriate group.

If you have not yet graduated from high school, please do not join the public discussion or controversial topics groups if you don't think your parents would permit you to. Ask them first.

Parents--if your children have given themselves access to certain forums and you would rather they did not, please send me a message and let me know.

_________________
-Z-

you know you want me.

(aka earthenvesselmz, katanoese)


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:41 pm 
Offline
McNixmunk
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:55 pm
Posts: 1065
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: Grove City College probably
Interesting...so now I can filter out all the debate-related threads. :)

_________________
If we don't study the mistakes of the future we are doomed to repeat them for the first time. - Ken M

"Fiction is the lie through which we tell the truth" - Albert Camus


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:07 pm 
Offline
Guardian of the Black Room
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:05 am
Posts: 856
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: 127.0.0.1
Tentatively Known wrote:
Part of this process was the creation of several usergroups that you can join depending on your interest in various aspects of the site:
  • NCFCA: if you are a member of, affiliated with, or simply interested in anything related to the NCFCA, please join this group.
  • Stoa: if you are a member of, affiliated with, or simply interested in anything related to Stoa, please join this group.
  • Public Discussion: if you want to participate in discussions with people from all walks of life, and are old enough or have your parents' permission, you can join this group.
  • Controversial Topics: if you want to participate in public discussions that may address topics that might be controversial, and are old enough or have your parents' permission, you can join this group.

And what does the Walled Garden fall under? (e.g. Silly Stuff, Media Stuff, and Serious Discussion?)

_________________
"The poet only asks to get his head into the heavens. It is the logician who seeks to get the heavens into his head. And it is his head that splits"
- G.K. Chesterton


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:11 pm 
Offline
Cupcake
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:08 pm
Posts: 1211
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: Illinois
anorton wrote:
Tentatively Known wrote:
Part of this process was the creation of several usergroups that you can join depending on your interest in various aspects of the site:
  • NCFCA: if you are a member of, affiliated with, or simply interested in anything related to the NCFCA, please join this group.
  • Stoa: if you are a member of, affiliated with, or simply interested in anything related to Stoa, please join this group.
  • Public Discussion: if you want to participate in discussions with people from all walks of life, and are old enough or have your parents' permission, you can join this group.
  • Controversial Topics: if you want to participate in public discussions that may address topics that might be controversial, and are old enough or have your parents' permission, you can join this group.

And what does the Walled Garden fall under? (e.g. Silly Stuff, Media Stuff, and Serious Discussion?)


It falls under NCFCA and Stoa.

_________________
Drew Chambers
LinkedIn


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:37 pm 
Offline
McNixmunk
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:55 pm
Posts: 1065
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: Grove City College probably
...Why is that? What does media/silly stuff have to do with NCFCA?

It doesn't make sense to need to join a debate group to get access to non-debate related content. I don't particularly want to see NCFCA stuff, but I have to join it anyway to get access to the Walled Garden...

_________________
If we don't study the mistakes of the future we are doomed to repeat them for the first time. - Ken M

"Fiction is the lie through which we tell the truth" - Albert Camus


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:32 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 7:14 am
Posts: 1742
Home Schooled: No
Location: Modesto/Sacramento, CA
The reasoning behind that particular structure is that I don't want anyone to need to give a caveat before recommending HSD to anyone. If parents want a forum where their children can be sheltered while they interact specifically with the homeschool debate community, they can find that here. If students want a place to practice their speech and debate skills with people outside their community, I want them to be able to find that here, too. The Walled Garden is intended to be the "safe" discussion and conversation area of the target community.

I do understand your point about parts of Media Stuff and Silly Stuff being off-limits to people unaffiliated with NCFCA or Stoa who are nevertheless connected to those communities... perhaps a separate group "for homeschoolers" that just gives access to the Walled Garden? I'll implement that, and we'll see how that works.

_________________
-Z-

you know you want me.

(aka earthenvesselmz, katanoese)


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:46 am 
Offline
Hint hint peoples.
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:18 pm
Posts: 1360
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: San Diego, California
It appears to me that one can currently only register in one usergroup. Does that mean I cannot access the public discussion/controvery parts of the website if I join the Stoa usergroup? And can I join more than one usergroup? Thank you for your help! The website restructure looks nice.

_________________
Evan Buck, LD Coach
Twitter | Seeking Alpha | Coaching Website | YouTube

As the deer pants for the water brooks, so pants my soul for You, O God. -Psalm 42:1

Truth is treason in an empire of lies...


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:06 am 
Offline
Promoted from Court Jester
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 4:43 am
Posts: 167
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: Region 5
ParadigmPWNS wrote:
It appears to me that one can currently only register in one usergroup. Does that mean I cannot access the public discussion/controvery parts of the website if I join the Stoa usergroup? And can I join more than one usergroup? Thank you for your help! The website restructure looks nice.


You shoud be able to join more than one group. You can only select one group at a time to which to register, but nonetheless, after you hit "submit" you should be able to repeat the process for addition desired groups.

_________________
Spencer Downing
Hillsdale College
Charger Nation


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:26 pm 
Offline
Laugh, or I will kill you
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:33 pm
Posts: 2492
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: College in San Diego Baby!
Hmm, sure looked like you could only join one group. I mean I could do it again and all, but then I might leave my current group, which is the only one I care about (mafia) so I'll leave well enough alone for now.

_________________
+X wrote:
Oh, come now, Daniel. Your mafia playing habits make you a no-good double-crossing manipulative liar. But I would never call you a jerk!

;) <3


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 1:22 am
Posts: 196
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: Like I would tell you
Are the forums still down? I can't seem to access them even though I added myself to the groups.

_________________
-The Jeester


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:13 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 7:14 am
Posts: 1742
Home Schooled: No
Location: Modesto/Sacramento, CA
lucky13 wrote:
Hmm, sure looked like you could only join one group. I mean I could do it again and all, but then I might leave my current group, which is the only one I care about (mafia) so I'll leave well enough alone for now.

Joining another group will not cause you to leave the groups you are in. You can join as many as you want.

jonathan070394j wrote:
Are the forums still down? I can't seem to access them even though I added myself to the groups.

You added yourself to the "No Debate" group, which hides all the forensics forums. You need to go back to the usergroups page and resign from that group if you want to see the forensics forums.

_________________
-Z-

you know you want me.

(aka earthenvesselmz, katanoese)


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:25 pm 
Offline
melancholy milkshakes. no straws.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:31 pm
Posts: 3983
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: Hinnom, TX
So I see mafia is back but Media Stuff is still missing. That was pretty much the only forum I went to anymore :P

_________________
Joe Hughey
joehughey24@gmail.com

Two roads diverged in a wood and I -
I took the one less traveled
And that has made all the difference


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:48 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 7:14 am
Posts: 1742
Home Schooled: No
Location: Modesto/Sacramento, CA
Add yourself to the "Homeschool" group. You'll be able to see Media Stuff.

_________________
-Z-

you know you want me.

(aka earthenvesselmz, katanoese)


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:29 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:40 am
Posts: 7
Home Schooled: Yes
where are the brief trading threads?

_________________
Bello/Sutherland - 2011-2012
Schmidt/Sutherland - 2012-2013
Sutherland/Willsea - 2013-2014


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:33 am 
Offline
Guardian of the Black Room
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:05 am
Posts: 856
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: 127.0.0.1
Add yourself to the "NCFCA" and/or "STOA" and/or "Homeschool" usergroups.

_________________
"The poet only asks to get his head into the heavens. It is the logician who seeks to get the heavens into his head. And it is his head that splits"
- G.K. Chesterton


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:53 pm 
Offline
Guardian of the Black Room
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:05 am
Posts: 856
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: 127.0.0.1
Why does the forum say David Roth was the last to post here?

_________________
"The poet only asks to get his head into the heavens. It is the logician who seeks to get the heavens into his head. And it is his head that splits"
- G.K. Chesterton


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:44 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 7:14 am
Posts: 1742
Home Schooled: No
Location: Modesto/Sacramento, CA
because the post is registered to the forum you used to access this thread, not to the thread itself.

It's weird, but that's the only explanation I can come up with.

_________________
-Z-

you know you want me.

(aka earthenvesselmz, katanoese)


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 

All times are UTC+01:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited