homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:47 am
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:29 pm 
Site Admin

Home Schooled: No
We're in the process of restructuring the Forums to make them more accessible, safer for younger users, and better customized to suit all of you.

Part of this process was the creation of several usergroups that you can join depending on your interest in various aspects of the site:
  • NCFCA: if you are a member of, affiliated with, or simply interested in anything related to the NCFCA, please join this group.
  • Stoa: if you are a member of, affiliated with, or simply interested in anything related to Stoa, please join this group.
  • Public Discussion: if you want to participate in discussions with people from all walks of life, and are old enough or have your parents' permission, you can join this group.
  • Controversial Topics: if you want to participate in public discussions that may address topics that might be controversial, and are old enough or have your parents' permission, you can join this group.

To join a group, go to your User Control Panel and select the "Usergroups" tab. Find the group you want to join, select the radio button on the right next to that group, select "Join selected" from the box at the bottom, and Submit. Repeat for any other groups you want to be a part of.

You will be able to join or leave these groups at any time, so if a forum seems to have disappeared, you might just need to add yourself to the appropriate group.

If you have not yet graduated from high school, please do not join the public discussion or controversial topics groups if you don't think your parents would permit you to. Ask them first.

Parents--if your children have given themselves access to certain forums and you would rather they did not, please send me a message and let me know.

you know you want me.

(aka earthenvesselmz, katanoese)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:41 pm 
McNixmunk

Home Schooled: Yes
Interesting...so now I can filter out all the debate-related threads. :)

"Fiction is the lie through which we tell the truth" - Albert Camus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:07 pm 
Guardian of the Black Room

Tentatively Known wrote:
Part of this process was the creation of several usergroups that you can join depending on your interest in various aspects of the site:
  • NCFCA: if you are a member of, affiliated with, or simply interested in anything related to the NCFCA, please join this group.
  • Stoa: if you are a member of, affiliated with, or simply interested in anything related to Stoa, please join this group.
  • Public Discussion: if you want to participate in discussions with people from all walks of life, and are old enough or have your parents' permission, you can join this group.
  • Controversial Topics: if you want to participate in public discussions that may address topics that might be controversial, and are old enough or have your parents' permission, you can join this group.

And what does the Walled Garden fall under? (e.g. Silly Stuff, Media Stuff, and Serious Discussion?)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:11 pm 
Cupcake

anorton wrote:
Tentatively Known wrote:

And what does the Walled Garden fall under? (e.g. Silly Stuff, Media Stuff, and Serious Discussion?)

It falls under NCFCA and Stoa.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:37 pm 
McNixmunk

...Why is that? What does media/silly stuff have to do with NCFCA?

It doesn't make sense to need to join a debate group to get access to non-debate related content. I don't particularly want to see NCFCA stuff, but I have to join it anyway to get access to the Walled Garden...

"Fiction is the lie through which we tell the truth" - Albert Camus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:32 pm 
Site Admin

The reasoning behind that particular structure is that I don't want anyone to need to give a caveat before recommending HSD to anyone. If parents want a forum where their children can be sheltered while they interact specifically with the homeschool debate community, they can find that here. If students want a place to practice their speech and debate skills with people outside their community, I want them to be able to find that here, too. The Walled Garden is intended to be the "safe" discussion and conversation area of the target community.

I do understand your point about parts of Media Stuff and Silly Stuff being off-limits to people unaffiliated with NCFCA or Stoa who are nevertheless connected to those communities... perhaps a separate group "for homeschoolers" that just gives access to the Walled Garden? I'll implement that, and we'll see how that works.

you know you want me.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:46 am 
Hint hint peoples.

It appears to me that one can currently only register in one usergroup. Does that mean I cannot access the public discussion/controvery parts of the website if I join the Stoa usergroup? And can I join more than one usergroup? Thank you for your help! The website restructure looks nice.

As the deer pants for the water brooks, so pants my soul for You, O God. -Psalm 42:1

Truth is treason in an empire of lies...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:06 am 
Promoted from Court Jester

ParadigmPWNS wrote:
It appears to me that one can currently only register in one usergroup. Does that mean I cannot access the public discussion/controvery parts of the website if I join the Stoa usergroup? And can I join more than one usergroup? Thank you for your help! The website restructure looks nice.

You shoud be able to join more than one group. You can only select one group at a time to which to register, but nonetheless, after you hit "submit" you should be able to repeat the process for addition desired groups.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:26 pm 
Laugh, or I will kill you

Hmm, sure looked like you could only join one group. I mean I could do it again and all, but then I might leave my current group, which is the only one I care about (mafia) so I'll leave well enough alone for now.

;) <3

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:08 pm 

Are the forums still down? I can't seem to access them even though I added myself to the groups.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:13 pm 
Site Admin

lucky13 wrote:
Hmm, sure looked like you could only join one group. I mean I could do it again and all, but then I might leave my current group, which is the only one I care about (mafia) so I'll leave well enough alone for now.

Joining another group will not cause you to leave the groups you are in. You can join as many as you want.

jonathan070394j wrote:
Are the forums still down? I can't seem to access them even though I added myself to the groups.

You added yourself to the "No Debate" group, which hides all the forensics forums. You need to go back to the usergroups page and resign from that group if you want to see the forensics forums.

you know you want me.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:25 pm 
melancholy milkshakes. no straws.

So I see mafia is back but Media Stuff is still missing. That was pretty much the only forum I went to anymore :P

Two roads diverged in a wood and I -
I took the one less traveled
And that has made all the difference

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:48 pm 
Site Admin

Add yourself to the "Homeschool" group. You'll be able to see Media Stuff.

you know you want me.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:29 am 

where are the brief trading threads?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:33 am 

Add yourself to the "NCFCA" and/or "STOA" and/or "Homeschool" usergroups.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:53 pm 

Why does the forum say David Roth was the last to post here?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:44 am 
Site Admin

because the post is registered to the forum you used to access this thread, not to the thread itself.

It's weird, but that's the only explanation I can come up with.

you know you want me.