homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:06 am
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:08 am 
Get off my lawn, young'ins!

Home Schooled: Yes
HSD now has a resource wiki! The URL is www.homeschooldebate.com/wiki; or, you can access it by clicking the links in the new header bar we've added to the top of each page.

What is this thing?
It's like Wikipedia, basically, but for NCFCA/Stoa speech and debate. It's a collection of articles on speech and debate topics that anyone can edit and improve. Over time, we hope to grow it into a large, useful resource that competitors can learn from and coaches can recommend as a reference.

Anyone with a forum account can edit the wiki. If you're logged into the forums, you should be logged into the wiki automatically, so go ahead and dive in!

Great! I want to contribute, but where do I start?
You could start by creating a page for your club, with a basic description and contact information. After that, browse around. The hub pages list major topics that we'd like to cover, so they're a good place to start. Red links mean a page hasn't been created yet; if you see a red link to a topic that interests you, go ahead and create the page for it. If a page already exists, but you think it should have more information, add some.

Be bold! Don't be afraid to dive in and start creating content, even if you're not completely sure what you're doing. If you mess up, it's easy to fix.

COG 2016 generics-only sourcebook - NCFCA/Stoa (thread)
Factsmith research software - v1.5 currently available (thread)
Loose Nukes debate blog - stuff to read with your eyes.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:46 am 
Hint hint peoples.

This is a great development! As long as the wiki is very closely moderated and users generate helpful, useful material, then I expect this wiki to be an educational resource for years to come. Thanks, HSD staff, for making this!

As the deer pants for the water brooks, so pants my soul for You, O God. -Psalm 42:1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:51 pm 
McNixmunk

Looks awesome. What did you use to make the header and share login sessions?

"Fiction is the lie through which we tell the truth" - Albert Camus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:06 pm 

This is awesome, and it's been implemented well. Good job!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:09 pm 
Bumble! Bumble!

Awesome! I didn't think this would actually happen, and I'm thrilled that it did. :D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:46 pm 

JeremyB wrote:
Looks awesome. What did you use to make the header and share login sessions?
Magic.

AKA a bunch of custom PHP and CSS.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:53 pm 
McNixmunk

MSD wrote:
Magic.

AKA a bunch of custom PHP and CSS.

Heh, I don't envy you much.

BTW, it all looks nice but the default forum header now seems to take up a lot more room (and has the same links as the skinny header at the top). No problem for me - I just used my adblocker to remove it - but I'm not sure what some others' opinions are.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:05 pm 
Bumble! Bumble!

My club now has a wiki page. That's kinda cool. :)

But... I have a stupid question... how do I submit a summary for it? The box at the bottom of the page has a pop up that says [alt-shift-b], which probably clears everything up for most people, but I can't figure it out. I tried hitting those three keys simultaneously before putting in my text, after putting in text, and while highlighting the text, but nothing happened. :/

EDIT: MSD just fixed it (thank you). But I'd still like to know how to do it myself. :)

And I agree with Jeremy and Razi; the header thing does seem a bit redundant.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:33 pm 

Bee wrote:
But... I have a stupid question... how do I submit a summary for it? The box at the bottom of the page has a pop up that says [alt-shift-b], which probably clears everything up for most people, but I can't figure it out. I tried hitting those three keys simultaneously before putting in my text, after putting in text, and while highlighting the text, but nothing happened. :/
Ah, I think I see what you mean. The box at the bottom is the summary that appears in the page history; generally, you use it to describe what changes you made, so someone skimming the page history doesn't have to manually check all the revisions to find something. If you want a lead paragraph at the beginning of the page, you just write a lead paragraph at the beginning of the page. :)

JeremyB wrote:
BTW, it all looks nice but the default forum header now seems to take up a lot more room (and has the same links as the skinny header at the top). No problem for me - I just used my adblocker to remove it - but I'm not sure what some others' opinions are.
It's supposed to be obtrusive, ironically. Going to http://www.homeschooldebate.com just drops you into the forums; new users aren't likely to even notice the small links on the header bar, so they wouldn't immediately realize that HSD has a wiki. (Which would be confusing to people who came here because they heard there was a resource wiki.)

I've learned the hard way over years of web design that people are unbelievably unobservant. You can literally put a large red flashing link in the middle of the page and somebody will call you up and ask, "Where's the link? I can't find it." Hence the rather attention-drawing secondary box.

I do think the current "basic box" design is kind of ugly, however, so design suggestions are welcome. :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:38 pm 
McNixmunk

Masked Midnight wrote:
I actually agree with you on this...

Why do you seem so surprised?

: P

@MSD: I understand your reasoning, and I think the current box design isn't too bad. I know this could end up being much harder than it sounds to some, but a "dismiss" button could solve the issue.

Or have some sort of alert that appears to new users or people who have not seen the alert before.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:50 pm 
Bumble! Bumble!

MSD wrote:
Bee wrote:
Ah, I think I see what you mean. The box at the bottom is the summary that appears in the page history; generally, you use it to describe what changes you made, so someone skimming the page history doesn't have to manually check all the revisions to find something. If you want a lead paragraph at the beginning of the page, you just write a lead paragraph at the beginning of the page. :)

Thanks! :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:03 pm 

JeremyB wrote:
I know this could end up being much harder than it sounds to some, but a "dismiss" button could solve the issue. Or have some sort of alert that appears to new users or people who have not seen the alert before.
Or, we could have the box only appear for users who aren't logged in, on the assumption that logged-in users would presumably be aware of the header bar.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:09 pm 

MSD wrote:
JeremyB wrote:
I know this could end up being much harder than it sounds to some, but a "dismiss" button could solve the issue. Or have some sort of alert that appears to new users or people who have not seen the alert before.
Or, we could have the box only appear for users who aren't logged in, on the assumption that logged-in users would presumably be aware of the header bar.

Honestly, when I first got on HSD this morning, what I saw was the box. I didn't see the header bar until I was in the Wiki. I think the box is fine for now, at least until everyone becomes aware of the wiki.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:33 pm 
McNixmunk

I like the header bar, though. Nice, small, and functional.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:36 pm 
Bumble! Bumble!

I like the header bar. It's simple and unobtrusive.

But I guess if the box is intended to be obvious, it's doing its job well... :P

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:47 pm 

The reason for the header bar, by the way, is to establish a feeling of visual and navigational uniformity across the forums and wiki. (Otherwise, they kind of feel like separate sites.) We need to have it on the wiki for navigational purposes - it's hard to navigate back to the forums without it - so having it on the forums as well keeps things looking consistent.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:04 am 
Is now cool

I think I just found my new preferred venue for procrastination. I wish we had this when I was starting debate. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:11 am 

writing encyclopedia-style is harder than i thought it would be.

2010-11 | Freshman | Bardsley/King | IX | 13th at Regionals
2011-12 | Sophomore | Dovel/King | IX | Q'd to Nationals
2012-13 | Junior | Dovel/King | IX | 17th at Nationals
2013-14 | Senior | Dovel/King | IX | 5th at Nationals

Baylor University class of 2018

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:32 am 
Bumble! Bumble!

Just spent a lot of time on the alumni at college page. And it sorta scared me how many alumni I know who aren't on the page because... they already graduated college. And in some cases, went on and graduated from another college afterwards. :shock:

Also, has anyone else hit a married alumnus girl? Because there are several now, and I submitted one; I formatted it as, Married Surname (Maiden Name), First Name. But I don't know if that's the appropriate format or not; I think having both names is important for the intent of the wiki, though, since people would remember them by their maiden name but would need their married name to contact them.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:12 am 

Am I the only one who sometimes has stuff start downloading(they are often titles: index (2) , or some other variation of the number in parenthesis) when links are clicked? It doesn't happen consistently, but it does happen once and awhile. I don't know why it does this though.