homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:15 am
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 229 posts ]  Go to page Previous 18 9 10 11 12 Next
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:04 pm 
Kenya debate as good as me?

Home Schooled: Yes
Good, I was getting a little worried about your knowledge of things not Catholic :P

I didn't say it was though, so I'll leave that to someone else.

SDG.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:47 pm 

Background: from a medium sized (5kids? is that medium?), very conservative, homeschooling (all my life), family, although I'm not sure that the Conservative Homeschooler label really fits me anymore. It does in some ways and doesn't in others.

Religious Philosophy: I'm a Charismatic Messianic with a strong Episcopalian background, a foundation from the Church of Christ, a little bit of Southern Baptist influence, and a slight leaning towards Calvinism. Does that answer the question? :) Though seriously, all of that's true. That's where I'm coming from in theological debates anyway, in practice, I just believe in "Loving The LORD your God with all your heart, soul, and mind."

Political Philosophy: Moderate Libertarian? Basically, I'm pretty much a Libertarian, with the exception of Illegal Immigration and National Defense where I think their position is possibly one of the craziest and implausible ideas out there. I'm a big believer in the whole "Love your neighbor" thing, and the whole "remove the plank from your own eye before messing with the speck in your brother" thing too.

Goal in Life: Great question!! I'll let y'all know when I get that figured out! :)

"The trouble with talking too fast is you may say something you haven't thought of yet" - Ann Landers

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:29 pm 

As someone who doesn't really follow politics anymore, what is the libertarian view of illegal immigration? I'd imagine they would be pro-open borders.

"Beware for there's a zealot unleashed and sighting the end
Through a scope of righteousness that's blinded by blood on the lens"
-Oh, Sleeper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:50 am 
Kenya debate as good as me?

just horsen wrote:
Background: from a medium sized (5kids? is that medium?), very conservative, homeschooling (all my life), family, although I'm not sure that the Conservative Homeschooler label really fits me anymore. It does in some ways and doesn't in others.

Religious Philosophy: I'm a Charismatic Messianic with a strong Episcopalian background, a foundation from the Church of Christ, a little bit of Southern Baptist influence, and a slight leaning towards Calvinism. Does that answer the question? :) Though seriously, all of that's true. That's where I'm coming from in theological debates anyway, in practice, I just believe in "Loving The LORD your God with all your heart, soul, and mind."

Political Philosophy: Moderate Libertarian? Basically, I'm pretty much a Libertarian, with the exception of Illegal Immigration and National Defense where I think their position is possibly one of the craziest and implausible ideas out there. I'm a big believer in the whole "Love your neighbor" thing, and the whole "remove the plank from your own eye before messing with the speck in your brother" thing too.

Goal in Life: Great question!! I'll let y'all know when I get that figured out! :)

Yay! My write-in Paul Ryan buddy :D

That's quite an unusual grouping of denominational tendencies... But good for you with the Calvinism!

Oh, and the libertarian view of illegal immigration is open borders (kind of an outgrowth of free trade theory), but I agree with Just Horsen that it's pretty ridiculous.

SDG.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:44 pm 

Wow, I've never filled this out before. Which is good in a way because my beliefs have changed a lot since I joined and also bad because I am still changing a lot. Here we go:

1.Whatever background/history you're willing to share (that's pertinent)

Homeschooled throughout my school years, currently living at home and commuting to university, where I study nerd things and think about talking to girls.

2.Your current religious philosophy

I am a strong Theist. I believe that the Bible is one of the largest chunks of truth we've ever found, the fact that it hasn't changed much for so many years is super cool. I would consider myself a Christian for sure, but am rethinking a lot of things about how I interpret the Bible and approach other religions.

3.Your current political philosophy

I believe that at this point, government is a necessary evil that is becoming increasingly unnecessary. As such I think the best form of government is the one that best simulates anarchy, at least until we can get these superpowers out of the way and go full anarchy.

4.Your goal in life
My goal in life is to find the truth, by gosh, and it will set me freee

Also a girlfriend would be nice.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:13 pm 

(I don't know what this survey is for, but I might as well fill it out.) I have always been homeschooled, I'm do debate, choir, coin collecting, riflery, that's about it.

Christian. I believe that looking at the world gives us empirical evidence for the existence of God and authority of the Bible. I do not believe that "faith" has anything to do with randomly deciding to follow something you don't understand.

I am a pragmatist, but also a Christian. I believe that the end justify the means, unless they contradict a Biblical principle, and Biblical ideals are my only ends. So you might say I'm a conservative, though I disagree with a lot of stuff conservatives believe. I do not support homosexual "rights", and I don't believe in a lot of other rights, either. I believe in our government system because it works, not because people deserve anything from the government.

4.Your goal in life

To be an awesome guy and faithful servant to God. Really don't care about much else. Except debate.

Also a girlfriend would be nice.

JUST KIDDING!!!!

"Never quote yourself on internet forums" - Gabriel Blacklock, 2014

Last edited by Cyberknight on Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:06 am 

HAHA! WHOOOOOPS!!! :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

"Never quote yourself on internet forums" - Gabriel Blacklock, 2014

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:35 am 
McNixmunk

I was going to say, having a faithful servant of Gog on the forums would spice things up a bit. :mrgreen:

"Fiction is the lie through which we tell the truth" - Albert Camus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:57 am 

In and out of different schools, by choice. Going to stay homeschooled until graduation. I love speech and debate.
3-point Calvinist; Slightly Deistic, Slightly Liberal Christian.
Anarcho-capitalist.
4.Your goal in life
To be part of the collapse of the state and the promotion of rationality.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:30 am 

Alright, I realized I hadn't made my post here before jumping in to the discussion. Sorry. :/

1. Background: I have been homeschooled since 3rd grade. Before that, I went to a private school. I've been doing speech and debate for 3 years (includes TP and LD).

2. Religious: Mainly Calvinist. I'm still studying. :) Sola Scriptura.

3. Political: I'm not sure whether to say conservative or classical liberal. Probably both.

4. Goal in life: To glorify God in everything. More specifically, I want to be involved in people's lives and help set them on the right path. :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:32 am 

Alright, here goes.

1. Background: My name is Connor Daniels and I am from Upstate South Carolina. I have been homeschooled since kindergarten, through Classical Conversations since 3rd grade. This is my first year doing speech and debate (Team Policy), though I have had some experience with public debate outside the NCFCA. My interests (other than debate) include: coin and stamp collecting, choir, quartet, chess, and military history.

2. Religious: Christian, first and foremost. (And its a relationship, not a religion.) Theologically, I consider myself a Classical Arminian, with the added note that I accept Eternal Security. Further, I believe strong evidence for God's existence is found in the world around us (Ps. 19:1-6, Rom. 1:20). Ultimately, I believe the Bible is the holy, inspired, infallible Word of God and everything else stems from that. I attend a Southern Baptist church.

3. Political: Constitutional Conservative. I believe in a free market economy and believe the government should intervene as little as possible in that area. I am socially conservative, but a strong believer in individual rights. I consider myself a foreign policy realist and believe the US should have a strong military and should be willing to use it when necessary, though military intervention needs to be considered with caution. I believe our nation was founded on the principle that rights are given by God, not the government, nor any man, and as such can't be taken away by the government. I believe the Constitution should be interpreted by original intent.

4. Goal: To serve God in His will for my life and make Him known.

2015-2016|Cash/Daniels
2016-2017|Daniels/Green
COG Author

"Yea, I am free, strong in the strength of truth." ~ Teiresias (in Oedipus Rex)

Last edited by ConnorDaniels on Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:20 pm 

Woot! Welcome to the HSD family, Connor! You (hopefully) won't regret it!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:59 pm 

Thank you, Hammy!

2015-2016|Cash/Daniels
2016-2017|Daniels/Green
COG Author

"Yea, I am free, strong in the strength of truth." ~ Teiresias (in Oedipus Rex)

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 9:42 pm 

Homeschooled all my life, NCFCA competitor for many years and junior competitor for years before. Have grown up in a Christian household with a rather large family. Had never really had contact with anyone in speech and debate outside of my region (6) before attending the MA Open earlier this year.

Evangelical, reformed, born-again Christian. Emphasis upon the fact that we do nothing to merit salvation, and are in fact horrible, evil creatures. God has been supremely gracious to bless us with a a route to an alternate destination. Adhere to traditional beliefs: divorce rarely acceptable, homosexual relations bad, different roles of men and women, etc. I am rather horrified by the patriarchal types, and am at the moment struggling with making sense of what exactly biblical manhood and womanhood are to be like.

On economic issues, I believe in letting the market work itself without intervention, as much as is possible. Tariffs, subsidies, preferential tax-breaks, price ceilings, price floors and the like all horrify me. The idea that an economy improves when resources are distributed more efficiently is sort of guiding light to me in evaluating policies. I believe the government has an important, beneficial role to play, just that it rarely does it right. Democracy is a terrible system of government--except for the alternatives, and it only works in certain cultures. On foreign policy I'd say I'm rather a hawk. We might not like having to get involved in foreign countries that appear to have only tangential relation to us, but our importance in a thoroughly globalized world means that being the "world police" is often necessary. I'm certainly not in favor of drug use, but am skeptical of the drug war. I question whether it is the best approach to the problem, and am disturbed by the summary invasions of private property and privacy so often justified by it. As may be implied from above, I don't favor gay marriage. However I'm unconvinced that the government should be prohibiting it--either explicitly or implicitly (as is the case with definition of marriage laws and amendments).

4.Your goal in life
To serve God more and more fully. Also it would be nice to be an economist. And spend less time procrastinating by doing unnecessary things like posting on forums.

Currently geeking out about econ and math at the University of Wisconsin-Madison

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 4:52 am 

MeAndMyBriefcase wrote:
Evangelical, reformed,

It's like sticking two positive poles of magnets together. :P

Welcome Breify! Who are you actually?

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 4:54 pm 

Hammy wrote:
Welcome Breify! Who are you actually?

If you mean my name, I'm Benjamin Rolsma, from Region 6. ;)

Currently geeking out about econ and math at the University of Wisconsin-Madison

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 5:37 pm 

Location: I'm not lost! I'm locationally challenged. -John M. Ford
MeAndMyBriefcase wrote:
Also it would be nice to be an economist.

Hope you like math.
http://gregmankiw.blogspot.com/2006/05/ ... mists.html

Mankiw's entire blog is worth reading, IMO.

(Just graduated with a BS in econ, starting my PhD in econ (probably) in Fall 2016 or 2017.)

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 5:02 am 

Sharkfin wrote:
(Just graduated with a BS in econ, starting my PhD in econ (probably) in Fall 2016 or 2017.)

Congrats! That's pretty huge!

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 5:46 pm 

Sharkfin wrote:
http://gregmankiw.blogspot.com/2006/05/ ... mists.html

Mankiw's entire blog is worth reading, IMO.

Cool blog. At least I already read economics books for fun, as well as The Economist every week. :D

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 11:44 pm 

Location: I'm not lost! I'm locationally challenged. -John M. Ford
Hammy wrote:
Sharkfin wrote:

Congrats! That's pretty huge!

One degree down, two or three to go! :P

(Masters + PhD and/or JD.... gah I'm gonna be 30 before I escape school.)

MeAndMyBriefcase wrote:
At least I already read economics books for fun, as well as The Economist every week.

+1

The Economist is literally one of the best news publications in recorded human history.

How far out from college are you?

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 229 posts ]  Go to page Previous 18 9 10 11 12 Next