homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:49 pm
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:33 pm 

Home Schooled: Yes
The carryover of the old thread.

The Original Thread wrote:
Sometimes we use the same words and mean different things...sometimes we use different words and mean the same thing.

When seriously discussing some of these issues, it sure would be nice to have a better understanding of each person's basic beliefs. That way we don't have to ask “Where in the world is s/he coming from?!?!”

So here's the deal...

Post with your name or whatever you'd like people to call you during discussion, and a brief run-down of the following:

1.Whatever background/history you're willing to share (that's pertinent)
2.Your current religious philosophy
3.Your current political philosophy
4.Your goal in life

Then, when we're in the middle of a heated discussion, we rush back here and see “Okay...I think I get it...” And maybe we can save some typing effort wasted through misunderstanding and miscommunication.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:37 pm 

1. I was homeschooled. I did debate. I got to Winthrop Uni as a Poly Sci major.

2. I don't get involved in theological arguments too much. As long as people believe in John 14:6, I usually won't argue with them.

3. Libertarian.

4. To make a difference be accomplishing my career goals.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:45 pm 
No, not the other OSURO.

1. I am the son of a Nigerian immigrant father and a caucasian American mother. I live in an upper-middle-class home. I lived in New Jersey for many years before moving to Indiana.

2. I am a liberal Christian. I do not believe that anyone can know the will of God for certain, and I do not believe that God chooses to intervene all that much. I do believe in God, and I believe that Jesus was the Son of God. However, what this truly means I do not think anyone can know. I have become disillusioned with organized religion and the dogma that goes with it. I believe faith with reason is a greater thing that blind faith. I do not know where we go when we die. But I trust God to be fair.

3. Liberal. I believe that possibly the most important moral restriction is that people should be able to do what they like, so long as they do not harm others through their actions. So you could say I've got something of the Libertarian in me, but socially I am quite liberal. I am a staunch supporter of civil rights, including racial, sexist, and gay rights. Government is a neccessary evil: we don't like it and it takes away my rights, but it will exist no matter how hard someone tries to remove it. If it will be there I will not have the government, a glorified corporation, simply taking my money and running. I expect services from my tyrant - services that I will pay for. I will not be bullied by a man who would not give me bread.

4. My goal is to have some lasting impact on society. Specifically, I have aspirations of becoming a fine artist. However, this does not mean that I will not become active politically outside of my career. I intend to.

To find yourself
My words are a stairs
I put my feet on
And I climb through
A starless night to my place

-"From Mars", Gojira

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:55 pm 
Tsarcastic

1. I am a working/middle class American teenager, of staunch Mexican and Irish background, living in southern CA. That's basically it.
2. I am a Christ-follower to the end of my days. While I was baptized Anglican, I attend a Protestant conservative evangelical mainly Arminian church. I myself would tend to be more Presbyterian and though I've looked into Anglicanism, Catholicism, Methodism, Lutheranism and Messianic Judaism, I most likely will go to a Reformed Presbyterian church later on.
3. I could be called a conservative with libertarian leanings or a libertarian with conservative leanings. Essentially I am a Bastiatite (libertarian) who belongs to the Republican party, who sympathizes to a certain extent with social conservatives (personally I think gay marriage, drugs and so on are wrong and immoral) but I disagree with them. However I am not a isolationist and tend towards a more Hawkish look on things. In addition I am a very firm believer in the right of each nation to govern their affairs and thus am involved in a few nationalist/separatist movements (Irish, Scottish, Welsh, Breton, Quebecois, Tamil)
4. To become thoroughly educated, serve others, to know G-d, start a family, be in the military for a time, become a statesman and maybe the President of the US.

~IM_R

Last edited by IrishMex Rebel on Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:56 pm 
Southern Gentry

Quote:
I expect services from my tyrant - services that I will pay for.

:roll:

I'm 18, and am in my senior year of high-school. I live in North-Central Arkansas about 30 miles from the nearest wal mart. I am a strange mix of many stereotypes, and my dress style is a mix of punk, prep and redneck. ;-)

God dictates morality, for morality is simply a part of his imagination, along with the rest of reality. God created earth so that we would fall so that He could destroy some and save others. God's will is sovereign. I believe that the best way to understand God is through reasoning and trusting His word -- whatever that word may be.

Government is a well-organized gang with tanks, planes and cages to put in people they dislike. I say "dislike" because there is no other real standard in application besides this. I believe that Natural Law is found both through reason, through nature, and through systematically analyzing each of the books in the New Testament. I believe that force is only justified when someone violates the rights of others. I don't believe that there is a "necessary evil", because duty is always righteous, regardless of any possible implications.

4.Your goal in life

My goal in life is to arm most of the American populace, create a legal system favorable to hard-working Americans, cut taxes down by 75% and to at some point become a judge on the federal court system. I also half-believe that if I'm anywhere close to being 5% successful at these goals, I'll end up assassinated. ;-)

Also, I hope to earn my JD and possibly a PhD in the next 10 years.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:14 pm 
No, not the other OSURO.

Quote:
Quote:
I expect services from my tyrant - services that I will pay for.

:roll:

Heh, amused are we? The feeling is mutual. :lol:

To find yourself
My words are a stairs
I put my feet on
And I climb through
A starless night to my place

-"From Mars", Gojira

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:26 am 
The Professor

Quote:

My name is Will. I was born December 20, 1991, raised in rural Arkansas, traveled frequently, and I'm now active in debate. My primary interest is public policy, with an expertise in domestic policy and more specifically economics.

I like Macs, baseball (St. Louis Cardinals), Jack Bauer, Mel Gibson, Matt Damon, the Heritage Foundation, Adam Smith, Jesus, CS Lewis...

And Dr. Thomas Sowell is my hero.

Quote:

There is an omnipotent God who is the soveriegn deity, his will is demonstrated in his love, justice, mercy, and grace, explained in the Bible, revealed through the Holy Spirit, etc. etc. Jesus was made to be like man to be resurrected for us so that we could have eternal forgiveness and the power of the Holy Spirit, have individual relationships with God, and that was the fulfillment of the OT law.

Today, while the deistic nature of God may be a study of metaphysics, his divine intervention is experienced, and I'm a subscriber to the 17th Century-onward ideas of Theistic Understanding.

Quote:

I'm a Reagan Republican with quasi-libertarian leanings. You could classify me a conservative in most policy implications. I subscribe to Fusionism, as explained by Frank Meyer, that there are competing ideologies of collectivism and individualism, entitled liberals and conservatives; and contained within itself conservatism has traditionalists and libertarians. I am then libertarian, in the quintessential debates of the proper balance of order and liberty I err on the side of liberty, and am perhaps a student of Hayekian and Hobbesian thought and some Burke/Disraeli/Tocqueville for good measure.

I believe in individual freedom and responsibility, free markets, private enterprise, limited government, natural rights, national defense, and values. I believe in, as the Dow Jones company said in the 1880s, in free markets and free thinking.

Quote:
4.Your goal in life

To leave a societal impression of Christ and a political impact for liberty, stability, and economic prosperity.

"Gen. Obama? No. Brilliant Businessman Obama? No. Longtime Southern Governor Obama? No. He's a community organizer (what's that?), then a lawyer (boo), then a state legislator (so what, so's my cousin), then U.S. senator (less than four years)."

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:18 am 
LOOPHOLE MAN dun-duh-duh-DAH!

1. My name is Richmond, I will be entering my senior year this year. I have grown up in an upper middle class home, my dad has a masters degree and a JD and my mom has a Bachelors and a Masters degree.

2. Love everyone

3. Libertarian, more on the anarchist side, if humans weren't flawed I would be a rational anarchist.

4. To become a respected academic

"Once you figure out what a joke everything is, being a Comedian's the only thing that makes sense." - The Comedian

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:46 am 

ŠcrißßlinŠcrißë wrote:
4.Your goal in life

1. I have been raised in a Christian family, Church of Christ for most of my youth, now in a non-denominational (but mainly ex-CoC'ers) church. My family, led by my father, had very differing interpretations of the scriptures than many in CoC.
2. After having some bad experiences, I am becoming more open to others' interpretations of the scriptures...and I am tired of struggles over small differences.
I believe in Jesus Christ as my saviour, the three God in one, and repentance, confession, and baptism at my core...yet I believe that Jesus can save whoever he wants to, and I am constantly trying to get a deeper relationship with him.
3. I am currently seeking, but my morals and beliefs are my main standards.
4. To gain a PhD and teach at a college, and to become closer to God and try to show him as best as possible to others.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:28 am 
Ze Frank?

I'm 19, native of central Louisiana, and was raised in a very isolated, conservative home with three siblings, a physician father, and a stay-at-home mom. I was not raised in church, and did not attend church until I was about... 10? I hated church with an unbelievable passion until I found my current church. I consider myself a Christian of 1 year, and am still muddling my way through things.

Relatively orthodox Presbyterianism. I believe in the trinity, am a "Calvinist," and have a highly confusing, obfuscated approach to Christianity.

Languid.

4.Your goal in life
To not have a single goal in life.
So far I am not doing so well.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:30 am 
Everything Must Go!

I'm 21, soon to be 22, living at home while going to a community college after withdrawing from NC State (go Wolfpack, woooo!). I'd be a junior or something when I go back, I'm thinking about continuing in history, or starting anew in international relations, political science, or business.

I grew up in a strong Christian family and considered myself so until a couple years ago, when I left Christianity. I think about the Big Questions a lot, and it's depressing that I can't find any answers. I know I'm young, but I want to know NOW, DAMMIT! Current philosophy: eh, whatever. I'm most apathetic. Mostly don't hurt others, I guess, unless they back-stab you, in which case you are allowed to make their life miserable :P .

Less government is better. People should be allowed to do whatever they want as long as they don't infringe on other's lives or wellbeing. Libertarian, I guess.

4. Your goal in life
I'm kinda short on life goals now, since I decided not to follow my childhood dream and enter the Air Force to fly A-10s. Right now, I'm considering a career in the CIA and the steps I'll have to take to make it there. I want to make enough $$ to provide for myself, my (eventual?) wife, and my hobbies without too much trouble. I'm not out to change the world, that takes too long.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:46 pm 
Okay, maybe a *little* more important than Caleb...

I'm a teenager who has grown up in New England into a Christian, conservative, homeschooling family for my whole life.

I am a Christian as well, and that means a lot to me. I am a sinner, and Christ died for me. He made a wonderful world to explore and study, of which he has full dominion. This has many implications. One of which is that I strive to play the role of a servant, as Christ was. I hope this is evident in the way I conduct my discussions.

I am not extremely aware of politics, not that I ignore it, though. I understand the importance of the politics. I'm mainly fed up with politicians and people playing politics. I long for a prominent politician who has character and integrity. Overall, I'm conservative, but I don't wish to be defined by that.

4. Your goal in life

To be passionate for Christ. Many lesser goals are to get married and have a large family, get a masters degree or higher, get a job doing something I like and uses my mind, and learn constantly.

Last edited by nayrb on Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:34 pm 

Home Schooled: No

I was homeschooled, did the whole ncfca debate/nationals cult for a while, then got a life the beginning of sophomore year, joined CCO, and started playing highschool football. I'm graduated now, and will begin basic training at the U.S. Military Academy at West Point in 2 weeks.

That should give you a feel for my career choices, (army officer) my stereotype (jock) and my experience as it's relative to debate.

I sin. Jesus died for my sins. I accept his sacrifice (so cliche, agh) and live to serve him as I know him to want me to act-through the bible. I am a rather cynical christian-in that I have little interest in most denominations and specific factions of the christian religion. I really couldn't care less about issues like evolution and predestination. Thus many facets of theology i simply ignore. I will however discuss issues pertaining to my actions, such as the justification for swearing in conjunction with biblical mandates, consumption of alcohol, etc.

Don't really care. There are certainly a few things I would vote for or against, but I'm a it of a political fatalist. I expect things to get screwed up by any government, and see government only as preferable to the lack thereof. I really don't care about gay's marrying, I don't see why the government gets to define two peoples relationships for them. I support the legalization of drugs on the grounds that the criminalization is responsible for significant violence and more dangerous useage, and that adults should be able to determine what they want to do with their bodies. Treating of ones own body leads me to the issue of abortion. The deciding issue of this is when does the fetus in question become a person. Their are a lot of scientific particulars relating to the bodies ability to self-abort, etc., etc., in general, I find abortion a travesty and strongly disagree with any abortion later than a week or two into pregnancy. (The reasoning is long and complex and even I can't fully explain it.) Not that any of that really matters, because as I said before, I really don't care what the government does so long as it leaves me the hell alone- and gives me my paycheck.

4.Your goal in life

My preliminary goal is to graduate from west point and either enter legal studies for the army or to branch into infantry, armor, or aviation. Thats really as far as I want to set my sights (hah) just yet.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:17 pm 

1. I am a (about 60-75%)black 17 year-old girl, orignally from wash., DC, but trapped in Saginaw, TX.
I just graduated and I did 4 years of TP and 3 of speech. and white people confuse me... :D
2. Jesus is my savior, AND my Lord. I believe what's in the Bible, period. I am free-will, anti-abortion and I believe homosexuality is sinful, but the homosexuals are pretty much just like the rest of us- sinners. People sin- get over it.
I also believe it's my first priority as a christian to love someone, not to judge them.
Quote:
I really don't care what the government does so long as it leaves me the hell alone- and gives me my paycheck.
I kind of think this, but @ the ame time I really think there are things that need to be changed, so I guess you could say I'ma conservative liberal.
4. Get my masters, and then go on to become a forensic psychologist. Get a man and have some kids, maybe a singing career.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:20 pm 
Southern Gentry

Black people totally confuse me too. I just don't understand you people.:D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:30 am 

You do not understand black people? Try living in D.C. Blackest city in the country I believe.

1.Whatever background/history you're willing to share (that's pertinent) I'm blond, blue eyed 6'3", like long walks on the beach....wait that isn't what you were asking for is it? I live in the D.C. area, I go to school now that I am in college at Georgetown. I had private tutors when I was younger because my family and I moved around alot. I currently have a job working at the state department
2.Your current religious philosophy Don't have one. I suppose that would make me an atheist, but I simply do not care. Religion is for saps, getting upset over other people being religious is just as sappy
3.Your current political philosophy Social-Democracy
4.Your goal in life Head up the India/South Asia desk at the State Department

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:10 pm 

Irish Man wrote:
Black people totally confuse me too. I just don't understand you people.:D

Take the advice below...I'd never lived somewhere where blacks were actually the minority until I moved to TX...

Quote:
Try living in D.C. Blackest city in the country I believe

White people are waaaayyyy more confusing...they will train wild animals, but can't get their kids to sit down and shut up... :roll:

(jk, :lol: )

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:41 pm 

Home Schooled: No
could it simply be safe to say that human beings are confusing...

I grew up in a loving household, went to a Methodist church most of my life. Spent most of my high school years not hanging out with friends so much as my family. Do a lot of thinking about religion, humanity, etc. I am 20 years old and study Religion at Elon University in North Carolina. I will be a senior this coming fall.

God is no further from us than our fingertips. God is no further from us than our tongues, from our noses, from our ears, from our eyes. God is no further from us than our mind. Human beings the world over have created things to help explore this thing, "God," which sometimes takes a pluralistic character or no character (the use of the word "God" here is very western.) These are mere symbol systems, or masks if you will, for the same thing. And this thing is no thing at all but reality itself. Life itself. Consciousness itself. Breath itself. Those who can touch reality, those who can live with the eyes, ears, mouth, nose and fingers of God will live a beautiful life.

A politic is a way in which power is shared. Anything can have a politic, even a dinner conversation. The language used at the dinner table can elevate some and diminish or silence others. The goal of any good politic, however, would be to create spaces in which all are comfortable in speaking and participating. This becomes much more complicated when expanded to a scale beyond a dinner conversation, and becomes near impossible when expanded to the size of massive states and governments. Ultimately, though, if we are dissatisfied with the government or the state, the place to change it starts with how we act at the dinner table.

4.Your goal in life

to live, to love, to succeed, to fail, to have joy, to suffer and to delight in every bit of it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:46 pm 
Southern Gentry

Quote:
A politic is a way in which power is shared. Anything can have a politic, even a dinner conversation. The language used at the dinner table can elevate some and diminish or silence others. The goal of any good politic, however, would be to create spaces in which all are comfortable in speaking and participating. This becomes much more complicated when expanded to a scale beyond a dinner conversation, and becomes near impossible when expanded to the size of massive states and governments. Ultimately, though, if we are dissatisfied with the government or the state, the place to change it starts with how we act at the dinner table.

That was beautiful.
/totalhonesty

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:53 pm 

1. My name is Chris Yerzy. I've been homeschooled all the way up through highschool. I just graduated high school and am going to be attending California State University Stanislaus this fall. I debated in NCFCA for 5 years.

2. I'm a born again Christian. I believe in the Trinity. I am not a Calvanist, but I'm still thinking through some of that stuff. I believe the Bible is the inspired Word of God. I believe that God is Omniscient, Omnipotent, and Omnipresent. I believe in a literal 6 day creation period.

3. Republican but leaning Libertarian. I plan to vote for Ron Paul if that helps you understand me a little better. I believe that our government is supposed to be limited to only what is specifically given to it in the Constitution, and that it isn't do that right now.

4. I hope to earn my bachelors degree in Political Science, hopefully from Hillsdale, and then get my JD and practice Constitutional Law.

The Second Rule of French Warfare; "France only wins when America does most of the fighting."