homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:25 pm
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 229 posts ]  Go to page Previous 18 9 10 11 12 Next
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 2:46 am 

Home Schooled: Yes
Apparently this "Drew" guy thinks he's lord of debate. As such, I'll post a bio completely free of any jokes.

1. I spend most of time researching or doing school. In my spare time I do website development.
2. I practice a combination of New Age and Christianity. I believe that when you die, you either go to hell, or become one with God.
3. I am very Libertarian in all aspects. Almost Anarchist, but not quite.
4. I just want to leave my mark on humanity.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:56 pm 
McNixmunk

Apple Fanboy wrote:
1. I spend most of time researching or doing school. In my spare time I do website development.

I might like you!

Except for your name.

"Fiction is the lie through which we tell the truth" - Albert Camus

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 11:05 pm 

Dawn wrote:
TheManInASuit wrote:
Hans Zimmer.

:D

am i allowed to ask what your favorite score is?

By him, definitely Inception =D
I really like the Up, Tron: Legacy, and LoTR soundtracks as well.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 11:12 pm 

The Royal Seal wrote:
I'm a Traditional Roman Catholic. I believe in Heaven, Hell, and Purgatory.

What do you believe about purgatory? And under your beliefs, how does someone get to Jesus' right side, or Heaven?

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 2:58 am 
Kenya debate as good as me?

Apple Fanboy wrote:
Apparently this "Drew" guy thinks he's lord of debate. As such, I'll post a bio completely free of any jokes.

Drew's actually a very friendly guy, and not arrogant, but he is a very good debate, please don't mock him :)

Oh, and libertarianism is cool :D

SDG.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:19 am 
JV the Epic

Wow, I have changed a lot. (for the better of course)

Here is my latest feelings on life and its meaning.

1. Second year student at a christian college. I did half a dozen years of homeschool speech/debate. I debate for my school now.

2. I am a Christian, I believe that Jesus Christ rose from the dead and that the Bible is the Inspired word of God. Other than that, I would say I am a Combination of Lutheran and my own personal beliefs. I think many in the church has gotten away from its goal of bringing people to Christ with vindictiveness and legalism. That is not to say that being a Christian has responsibilities, but that we need to be loving even in correction and instruction.

3.Moderate Conservative. I think politics is much more complicated that people give it credit and begin to think in binary, ignoring real solutions. Economically, I identify with Thomas Sowell a lot, but I am not entirely against welfare, I just feel that the government needs to scale back tremendously. Economics is really just a way for government to get bigger. The less government dabbles in the economy, (except for necessary regulations of health and economic stability, the better)

I think both parties have foreign policy all wrong. FP has become a political game, politicians tend to either be spineless or aggressive humanitarians who make things that much worse. I think that the way we have fumbled foreign policy in the last 20 years will continue to cause problems for a nation that should be easily a cultural and political beacon.

Socially, I am against abortion and totally ambivalent toward gay marriage. I think that dealing with poverty and social stratification is an equally important issue that no one really takes seriously in Government.

4.To make America, and in extension the world, a better place with the skills God has given me.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:52 pm 

Hi I'm Jack

1. I've grown up in a conservative Christian home, have been homeschooled all my life but kindergarten am currently in highschool and am one of those weird people who spend alot of time taking care of his fish tanks and studying science... mostly biology /marine biology.

2. I'm a Bible believing congregationalist. I believe in the living triune God, I believe the only way to be saved is through God's son Jesus Christ and that He was born of a virgin being conceived by the Holy Spirit that He lived died conquered death and rose again from the dead.
I believe in the doctrine of predestination. I believe God has a hand in all things past present and future and that he spoke and it was. I believe there is a hell and that those who have not been called by Jesus Christ will go there when they die. I believe the Bible is the word of God written by men under divine influence,
I believe homosexuality,drugs (besides caffiene), premarital sex and abortion are wrong... yup that about covers the basics

3. I'm a republican.

4. My goal in life is to... well honor God, influence the scientific community, raise a family, learn as much a possible and have some fun.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:29 am 

Location: frantically trying accomplish college, highschool, work, teaching debate, and TP!!!!!
Oh I know you! Your that guy from region 6 that with the slicked back dirty blond hair who has a sister named Rachel and is really fun to tease.
lol, jk!
glad that you're finally on here :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:35 am 
Forerunner

pb&j wrote:
Hi I'm Jack

1. I've grown up in a conservative Christian home, have been homeschooled all my life but kindergarten am currently in highschool and am one of those weird people who spend alot of time taking care of his fish tanks and studying science... mostly biology /marine biology.

2. I'm a Bible believing congregationalist. I believe in the living triune God, I believe the only way to be saved is through God's son Jesus Christ and that He was born of a virgin being conceived by the Holy Spirit that He lived died conquered death and rose again from the dead.
I believe in the doctrine of predestination. I believe God has a hand in all things past present and future and that he spoke and it was. I believe there is a hell and that those who have not been called by Jesus Christ will go there when they die. I believe the Bible is the word of God written by men under divine influence,
I believe homosexuality,drugs (besides caffiene), premarital sex and abortion are wrong... yup that about covers the basics

3. I'm a republican.

4. My goal in life is to... well honor God, influence the scientific community, raise a family, learn as much a possible and have some fun.

Hey Jack....I think I met you.....did you do a DUO with your sister? :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:39 am 
Cut off all contact. NOW.

pb&j wrote:
Hi I'm Jack

3. I'm a republican.

JACK BECHTEL!!!! WELCOME!!

I Support The Right To Arm Bears.
Okay, fine, we won't eat Pizza in Paris.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:55 am 

1.Whatever background/history you're willing to share (that's pertinent)

I've been homeschooled for the past...8 years, this will be my 3rd year with NCFCA. I play violin, love public speaking (I guess that's kind of a given on here :P), Latin, school...I'm a total nerd. EDIT: I've grown up in a Catholic charismatic community my whole life that's been a huge part of...everything. :)

2.Your current religious philosophy

I'm a Roman Catholic, and I absolutely love my faith. It's so rich, sacramental, full of tradition...I love it. Apologetics is one of my passions. And I love theology. It just fascinates me, sort of. I want to get a theology degree.

3.Your current political philosophy

I want to see a culture of life in America...I'm a Conservative...uhm, the government is too big, too involved, is _SO_ inefficient, etc. It can't do things very well.

4.Your goal in life

Hmm. I've got kind of a lot. :) Well, a lot of dreams. xD

What's my goal? Ultimately, to get to Heaven. [Haha, that's the usual response you get from Catholics, but I've never heard that from a Protestant.]

I want so badly to share truth with others.

TheManInASuit wrote:
What do you believe about purgatory? And under your beliefs, how does someone get to Jesus' right side, or Heaven?

Purgatory is where individuals go after death to be cleansed from either a) punishment from sin (just because it's forgiven doesn't mean you get no punishment! David still got punishment although God forgave him) and/or b) sin you have when you die, since no sin can enter heaven.

How do you get to Heaven? Generally, you're baptized, in the Catholic Church, and persevere in a state of grace (a mortal sin causes you to lose your state of grace...see a more thorough explanation + a list here: http://www.saintaquinas.com/mortal_sin.html) until death. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:14 pm 

ReligionLover wrote:
What's my goal? Ultimately, to get to Heaven. [Haha, that's the usual response you get from Catholics, but I've never heard that from a Protestant.]

There's a reason for that, at least among Reformed people. Our ultimate goal isn't actually to get to Heaven, that's a gift that God gives us despite ourselves, not as a result of anything we do ourselves. The chief end or goal of man should be to glorify God, not to achieve purity and Heaven by our own effort.

SDG.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:25 pm 

Gold Water's Ghost wrote:
ReligionLover wrote:

There's a reason for that, at least among Reformed people. Our ultimate goal isn't actually to get to Heaven, that's a gift that God gives us despite ourselves, not as a result of anything we do ourselves. The chief end or goal of man should be to glorify God, not to achieve purity and Heaven by our own effort.

If you do _nothing_ for salvation, then you didn't even have to respond to God's call?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:19 pm 
Evil Democrat

ReligionLover wrote:
ReligionLover wrote:

If you do _nothing_ for salvation, then you didn't even have to respond to God's call?

That was the largest straw man logical fallacy I have ever seen.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:32 pm 

ReligionLover wrote:
ReligionLover wrote:

That depends on what you mean by respond to God's call. As a Presbyterian, I believe it to be only by the grace of God that I CAN respond at all. Without that, I'm dead in my sin.

SDG.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:25 am 

Hyper Static Union wrote:

??

Ok, so you still need to respond? I'm just afraid you're making it "I do nothing and am completely un-involved in the salvation process."

And, yes, you need God's grace, but you still need to respond.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:40 pm 
McNixmunk

ReligionLover wrote:
Hyper Static Union wrote:

??

http://bit.ly/w1sBaE

: P

"Fiction is the lie through which we tell the truth" - Albert Camus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:02 pm 

ReligionLover wrote:
ReligionLover wrote:

The GIFT isn't a result of anything we do, but the RECEPTION of the gift is the result of something we do.
Yes, salvation is a gift, but we need to "open it" by responding with our life.

I'm still confused here....mind explaining? :P

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:12 pm 

ReligionLover wrote:
ReligionLover wrote:
The GIFT isn't a result of anything we do, but the RECEPTION of the gift is the result of something we do.
Yes, salvation is a gift, but we need to "open it" by responding with our life.

I'm still confused here....mind explaining? :P

Sure. I believe in a sovereign God. Nothing is beyond his ultimate sovereignty, not death, not life, not demons, not pain, not joy, not even the Devil himself. And certainly not salvation. God has chosen before time began who will be saved. Nobody can choose to come to God. He must make us alive through the power of the Holy Spirit. Just as a dead man cannot choose to live, we who are dead in sin cannot choose eternal life. Now the actual action of putting your faith in Christ Jesus is what "seals the deal" if you will, but even that's not really me. All glory for that, all honor for that goes to God alone, because he made it possible AND inevitable.

God is not a sad old man knocking at the door, hoping someone will believe in Him. He is a powerful and almighty God, and his purposes can never be thwarted, and his sovereignty knows no bounds.

(Btw, if you're still not sure quite what I believe, google Calvinism, that's essentially my viewpoint ;) )

SDG.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:32 pm 

Oh, sorry, I meant could someone explain why it was a straw man fallacy. :P And, yeah, I'm pretty familiar with the Calvinist position. :)

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 229 posts ]  Go to page Previous 18 9 10 11 12 Next