homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Tue May 30, 2017 1:52 pm
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 229 posts ]  Go to page Previous 17 8 9 10 11 12 Next
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:59 am 
melancholy milkshakes. no straws.

Home Schooled: Yes
Things have changed since I last posted here.

History:

I am a seventeen year-old highschool senior with big plans, big dreams, and very little money. I am the third of four children, and have enjoyed several years of NCFCA competition and the awesome friends that come with it. That's most of my history. I don't know what's going to happen next.

Theological Philosophy:

I'm not entirely sure what I 'm called, but I suppose I'm primarily Calvinist, meaning Free Will is out, Predestination is in, and Charles Finney was pretty much a heretic. Man is decadent, inclined towards sinfulness, and for the most part stupid.

Political Philosophy:

I am a cynic in pretty much everything. I used to be straight-up conservative, but after reading and thinking for myself, I've become somewhat of a Libertarian, meaning that I believe doing drugs is dangerous and homosexuality is immoral, but believing that the government has the right to become involved in the private lives of its citizens is something different, and I can't help but err in favor of personal liberties, so long as you're hurting yourself, not the other guy.

I believe the United States is hopelessly gone, fast down the road to Orwell's visions of totalitarianism. I just want to make movies.

Goal in Life:

To live and to live well, with a wife and family, money, friends, and a successful career in filmmaking.

Two roads diverged in a wood and I -
I took the one less traveled
And that has made all the difference

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:38 am 
titles are too mainstream.

lookingforangels wrote:
I believe the United States is hopelessly gone, fast down the road to Orwell's visions of totalitarianism. I just want to make movies.

this is one of the weirdest sentences i have ever read.

David Roth wrote:
you make my life hell.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:11 pm 

Dawn wrote:
lookingforangels wrote:

It's just like it sounds. My passion is filmmaking, and I don't see the day when the federal government shuts down Hollywood. Glen Beck is taking care of the rest.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:56 am 

lookingforangels wrote:
Dawn wrote:
lookingforangels wrote:

It's just like it sounds. My passion is filmmaking, and I don't see the day when the federal government shuts down Hollywood. Glen Beck is taking care of the rest.

i'm not entirely sure what you're trying to say.

totalitarian states usually do not allow for free expression of ideas.

David Roth wrote:
you make my life hell.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:09 am 

Dawn wrote:
lookingforangels wrote:
Dawn wrote:
lookingforangels wrote:

i'm not entirely sure what you're trying to say.

totalitarian states usually do not allow for free expression of ideas.

So I was exaggerating a bit. But the US is becoming progressively more progressive, and what I'm trying to say is that making a huge difference is beyond me, so I'm going to pursue my dreams and let Glen Beck take care of the government.

Make sense yet?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:31 am 

yes. you are saying "i am going to let other people take care of the government, i just want to make movies." i THOUGHT you were saying "the government is becoming totalitarian, but i don't care. cause i just want to make movies."

anyway. i should probably fill one of these out sometime...

David Roth wrote:
you make my life hell.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:34 am 

Location: frantically trying accomplish college, highschool, work, teaching debate, and TP!!!!!
So, yeah I have been homeschooled my entire life.
Background: live on a farm, have four bros and one sis, hate math, and love to debate just about anything.
Political philosophy: I am a conservative republican....Go Sarah Palin!
Religious Philosophy: Jesus Christ is the Son of God and it is only through His blood that we can be cleansed from our sin. Baptism is a step of obedience not a "good work". I differ from a lot of individuals on here because I believe in a loving God who has granted to every person the ability to choose Him or reject Him. In other words... I believe staunchly in man's free will.
Goals: (currently :)) to be a juvenile defense lawyer or... work with teen gangs in the slums of New York

Last edited by Pepsi on Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:29 pm 

1.Whatever background/history you're willing to share (that's pertinent)
2.Your current religious philosophy
3.Your current political philosophy
4.Your goal in life

1. I grew up bouncing from place to place. I was born in Canada, and spent the better part of the first 8 years of my life in Nairobi, the capital of Kenya, Africa. I've lived in more places than I can count on the fingers of both hands (and, depending on how you count it, the toes of both feet, too). The whole way through, I was homeschooled. My family is and always has been completely Christian, at least since my grandparents' generation. I like to believe that God has made the truth clear to me in a number of areas, which will probably be contested if I keep posting on these forums.

2. My religious philosophy is most clearly stated in the Nicene Creed. If you haven't read it, you need to. The details of my belief are much more complex. If you want to know my thoughts on a particular issue, feel free to PM me.

3. I'd describe myself as a libertarian, I suppose. That general category fits my beliefs closely enough.

4. My goal in life is to be, say, think, and do whatever God wants. It's a lofty one that I rarely live up to, but it's the only one that really makes sense to me.

Oh well. College student at Liberty University now. Not debating. But still hanging around.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:21 pm 
Kenya debate as good as me?

ImagoDei wrote:
spent the better part of the first 8 years of my life in Nairobi, the capital of Kenya, Africa.

Dude, seriously? That's awesome! I live in Nairobi :D What years were you here?

SDG.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:48 am 

Location: On an island called the yemassee in the sea of nowhere!
Hey guys.

1.) My name is Justin Holmes I'm 16 and I was born and raised southern SC. I currently live with my parents and 7 siblings in the middle of the woods in a one horse town called yemassee. This is my first year of competitive debate although I had over a hundred hours of debate teaching last year.

2.). If you were to combine Pastor Carl Broggie (my preacher), Systematic Theology (a book), and The Summit (a conference). You would get my theology. Basicly, love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength. Love your neighbor as yourself. And the Bible is the ultimate authority.

3.) An open minded Conservative. (I'm not big on politics)

4.)I plan to get a degree in communication or Literature. By God's grace I hope to get accepted t patrick henry college when I graduate from highschool in 2013.

Justin Holmes/Zachary Holmes

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:43 pm 

Gold Water's Ghost wrote:
ImagoDei wrote:
spent the better part of the first 8 years of my life in Nairobi, the capital of Kenya, Africa.

Ummm... lemme think. Would've been 1996ish through 2002ish. We were still in Kenya when 9/11 happened. My parents felt that more than I did - to me it was something happening far away, but for them it was home being attacked. And then the shutdown of international travel to and from America...

But you seriously live in Africa? That's pretty cool.

Oh well. College student at Liberty University now. Not debating. But still hanging around.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:58 pm 

ImagoDei wrote:
ImagoDei wrote:

Ummm... lemme think. Would've been 1996ish through 2002ish. We were still in Kenya when 9/11 happened. My parents felt that more than I did - to me it was something happening far away, but for them it was home being attacked. And then the shutdown of international travel to and from America...

Huh, that's interesting. Were you there for the Embassy bombing too? Or were you on vacation or something? The travel ban would have not been fun.

Yeah, Dad's in the embassy, it's really interesting here. It would be cool to know how it's changed over the years. Did you go to Rosslyn Academy, or West Nairobi School or something, or where you homeschooled then?

SDG.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:38 pm 

ImagoDei wrote:
ImagoDei wrote:

Huh, that's interesting. Were you there for the Embassy bombing too? Or were you on vacation or something? The travel ban would have not been fun.

Yeah, Dad's in the embassy, it's really interesting here. It would be cool to know how it's changed over the years. Did you go to Rosslyn Academy, or West Nairobi School or something, or where you homeschooled then?

Sorry it took me a while to get back to you on this. I forgot about our discussion.

Yeah, I was there when the embassy was bombed. I was too young to remember it really, I just recall the house shaking from the shockwave (very vaguely). My parents really felt the effects of the bombing (and the 9/11 travel ban) a lot more strongly than I did.

Me and my older brother were homeschooled for our entire time in Africa. I'm not sure why our parents chose not to send us to Rosslyn or some other school. And yeah, it would be interesting to go back and see how things are there - if you can still buy a two-pound bag of candy for $0.50 or not, if you could still let your kids wander down crowded streets and buy from stores, if you could still smell mandazis and chai on the breeze...

I know for sure you'd still hear the Islamic call to worship every day.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:20 am 

ImagoDei wrote:
ImagoDei wrote:
ImagoDei wrote:

Sorry it took me a while to get back to you on this. I forgot about our discussion.

Yeah, I was there when the embassy was bombed. I was too young to remember it really, I just recall the house shaking from the shockwave (very vaguely). My parents really felt the effects of the bombing (and the 9/11 travel ban) a lot more strongly than I did.

Me and my older brother were homeschooled for our entire time in Africa. I'm not sure why our parents chose not to send us to Rosslyn or some other school. And yeah, it would be interesting to go back and see how things are there - if you can still buy a two-pound bag of candy for $0.50 or not, if you could still let your kids wander down crowded streets and buy from stores, if you could still smell mandazis and chai on the breeze...

I know for sure you'd still hear the Islamic call to worship every day.

Haha, that's okay.

Wow. The shock wave moved your house? You must have been pretty close to it then.

Candy's actually really expensive here now (So's chocolate :( ) And wandering down crowded streets is definitely a no-no. They call it Nairobbery now :P Was crime better when you were here? And I LOVE mandazis! And the Kenyans still love chai. And the Indian food is still incredible.

Yes. It's amazing that literally everyone they choose to do that is tone deaf :roll:

SDG.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:25 pm 

Okay, my name is Andy, I'm 14 and live in California. I have 7 siblings, am homeschooled, and I don't like broccoli. I love music, especially Owl City, and Hans Zimmer.

I believe that Jesus, being the Son of God, came to earth taking the form of a man, and after living a perfect life was crucified on the cross as substitutionary atonement for our sins. I attend an Evangelical Christian church (which used to be Brethren) that believes that the bible is God-breathed and everything in it is true and should be taking as fact. We believe in young earth, pre-tribulation rapture, and, a lot of us, predestination. I consider myself conservative and believe that abortion and homosexuality are wrong, according to moral standards, but most importantly, according to the bible.

For the election this year, I would generally support Rick Santorum, as he has a better voting record than Romney, and is a truer conservative. I have a deep lack of respect for President Obama; due to his policies, his beliefs, what he supports, and I also support the birther issue, that he does not have a proper or legitimate birth certificate. I keep up on the news (being the extemper that I am) and believe that the constitution must be upheld, that we need a smaller government, that America is in a very bad state right now, that Obama should be impeached, and that we need to do whatever possible to avoid ending up like Greece =)

My goal right now is to prepare to spread God's word, and to spread it.
I think that my long term goal is to get married, have a family that I can teach and mentor for the Glory of God; I think as a career, I want to be either a lawyer, a news-host type person, or, well... I guess we'll see.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:43 am 

TheManInASuit wrote:
Hans Zimmer.

:D

am i allowed to ask what your favorite score is?

David Roth wrote:
you make my life hell.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:16 am 

Dawn wrote:
am i allowed to ask what your favorite score is?
Can't speak for he who wears the suit, but mine is 1-0 because those are always the most intense soccer games. :D

And on that note... hi everyone! My name's Nathan Sweetman.

Background: I come from a strong Christian family, I compete in speech and debate (this is my last year), and I live 45 minutes from DC (so booyah!). I'm currently in the midst of a mild identity crisis because item #8-9ish on my list of things that form my identity is in complete flux, namely, where I'm going to school. It's been causing me to come to grips with a lot of my priorities, so I've been doing lots of thinking, which brings me to the second important part of my background. I love thinking... reasoning... ignoring reason... and all that jazz. In other words, I'm a very philosophical person. So watch out. ;)

Religion: My identity is founded firmly on Jesus Christ. I strive to be a follower of Christ with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength. I attend a Southern Baptist church that sees God's word as the final authority on all matters. I agree with *most* Southern Baptist doctrines (the only one I can think of that I disagree with is that you have to go through believer's baptism to partake in the Lord's Supper). It's pretty easy to find the southern baptist faith and message. Look it up and read it, it's probably worth your time.

Politics: Heh. I'm a bit of a loner. I refuse to truly label myself. I refuse to call myself a Republican (although this is likely how I will register) because I disagree with most Republican's foreign policy views. I can't label myself a Democrat because I strongly disagree with their interpretation of the constitution as well as most of their social views. I'm not a libertarian (that pesky FP again. Oh... and libertarians are wrong about other stuff). I also hate pretty much all "groups" because of the fiercely partisan nature of pretty much our entire political system. One of my goals in life is to completely change the way politics work in this country. Yeah. Should be interesting.

Goals: oops! Got ahead of myself. I want to be a lawyer specializing in human rights cases. I want to publish a book of poetry I'm working on (the book includes a poem that--to my knowledge--is literally unparalleled in poetic history... in other words, it's weird... and [to me] awesome). I also (as I mentioned) want to engage the political arena in a way totally different than pretty much anyone before now has engaged it (still working out the details... but it should be interesting).

So yeah. That's me. Any questions?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:30 am 

OppositeWay wrote:
I want to publish a book of poetry I'm working on (the book includes a poem that--to my knowledge--is literally unparalleled in poetic history... in other words, it's weird... and [to me] awesome).

i would read that book.

David Roth wrote:
you make my life hell.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:33 am 
Doesn't have a title.

OppositeWay wrote:
Can't speak for he who wears the suit, but mine is 1-0 because those are always the most intense soccer games. :D
OppositeWay wrote:
Goals: oops! Got ahead of myself. ...
Yeeeeeeeeeeah.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:01 pm 
McNixmunk

OppositeWay wrote:
I'm not a libertarian (that pesky FP again. Oh... and libertarians are wrong about other stuff)

I usually think of myself as something of a libertarian-conservative mix, so I'm curious as to what you don't like about libertarians (and conservatives).

;)

"Fiction is the lie through which we tell the truth" - Albert Camus

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 229 posts ]  Go to page Previous 17 8 9 10 11 12 Next