homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:29 pm
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 229 posts ]  Go to page Previous 16 7 8 9 1012 Next
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:40 pm 

Home Schooled: Yes
1. I'm Troy (TJ) Davis. I am 18, in college for Info Tech, and am a team leader at my local Carl's Jr. I was homeschooled 6-12th grade. I live by myself in Phoenix, Arizona.

2. Christian Deist (though to be honest I'm not really sure what I could be labeled correctly as; maybe nothing). Sorry to shock you, but yes I am an apostate to Christians general trinity worshipping system. I fell away after long, deep thinking, and research. This website is pretty accurate.
http://www.christiandeistfellowship.com/

3. Libertarian anarchist (whether right or left I haven't quite figured out)

4. To be a brother to my fellow mankind through living the Golden Rule.

"Your lives are but a caricature of a cartoon drawn by a kid who is stupid!"
~Fawful - Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:15 pm 

1. I am a young, greenhorn debater in north west NC but mainly in a rural area.

2. Well I have been a born and raised christian all my life but I occasionaly find God's commands perplexing when it comes to political issues.

3. I really got into politics when Obama got elected. I've been a Reagan conservative, which I describe as throw the bad guys in jail & protect me from foriegn invaders.

4. Well I have about 8yrs to think about it ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:42 pm 
Brenna's Daughter

1.Whatever background/history you're willing to share (that's pertinent)

I am Emily. *nods* I'm 16 [in one month.] Technically a sophomore in High school [but we're homeschoolers. Grades are never perfectly accurate :P] I enjoy doing things on every end of the spectrum. From nerdy things [like debate, duh. And science and math and programming.] to artistic things. [like writing and music and photography.]
I'm not easily offended at all. I love sarcasm, in its place. And I've been home schooled my entire life and live to break the stereotype ;)

2.Your current religious philosophy

Saved by Gods grace. Chosen before I was born by my savior to serve Him. Loved by Him and wanting and striving to live a life that shows my love for Him. He is everything I need, my only solid standing place and without him I have nothing.

3.Your current political philosophy

hmph. If i absolutely HAD to choose a political party, it would probably be libertarian [a conservative one]. I don't believe the government should legislate morality. [ex. Whether or not homosexuality is legal or not.] But that's a loaded question. *nods*

4.Your goal in life

Isaiah 61:1 says
Quote:
The Spirit of the Lord is upon me. He has called me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom to the captives, and release those who are bound from their darkness.

That verse is my life goal. I want to serve people. Love people. Reach people. Everyone has a story and everyone needs to know that they are loved. Not only by people but by their creator. We are never alone. I want my life to reflect the fact that I believe that. I want people to say that I loved others till my final breath...

Rescue is possible. Stop the bleeding.
To Write Love On Her Arms.

http://twloha.com

My writing blog = http://purifiedthroughflames.wordpress.com
My photography blog = http://definehope.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:43 am 

1.Whatever background/history you're willing to share (that's pertinent) My name is Cassidy Howard, I have lived in the US all my life, I have lived in three different states...

2.Your current religious philosophy I am a Christian, I think I am Assemblys of God, but the whole denominational things just really doesn't matter to me lol

3.Your current political philosophy I am a republican

4.Your goal in life I want to be in the medical field, I would be a doctor but because of parents I am going to settle for a nurse.....

That's all!!!

~Cassidy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:48 am 

Quote:
I would be a doctor but because of parents I am going to settle for a nurse.....

May I ask what you mean by this?

My guitar channel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:12 am 
Hot Ta-Molly

DuckGirl96 wrote:
4.Your goal in life I want to be in the medical field, I would be a doctor but because of parents I am going to settle for a nurse.....

That's all!!!

~Cassidy
I want to be in the medical field too! Positions I've considered: Pediatrician, Anesthesiologist, OB/GYN, RN, ER Physician, NP, GP, or MFT. But I have no clue right now. What sort of doctor would you want to be?

"Isn't it bewildering…that everything is so beautiful, despite all the horrors that exist?" -Sophie Scholl

Life Posterz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:54 am 

Well my dad works at a hospital and he knows a ton of docs and I have always been facsinated by them, and my patents do not want me to be a doctor at all!!!! And if I had it my way I would be an emergency room doctor, or a cardiologist, but most doctors are stressed, so I think a er doc would be the best!!! :-)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:19 pm 
Doesn't have a title.

DuckGirl96 wrote:
my patents do not want me to be a doctor at all!!!!
It looked like you wrote "patients". :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:43 pm 

Sorry lol

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:45 am 
Easiest Person to Kill with a Witty Comeback

1. I'm awesome! No actually, I'm really a nerd. :ugeek:
2. I'm a Calvinistic Christian. If you've ever read the Westminster Confession of Faith, that's what I believe.
3. I basically believe what Reagan believed and what the founding father's believe. I'm socially conservative and economically liberal. As far as foreign policy goes, I'm not sure. I love our armed forces, but I'm kinda isolationistic. I think people have the responsibility to help others around the world, but I don't think our government has that responsibility.
4. I want to be remembered. I'm interested in serving in the military, possibly starting a business, and later in life going into politics. Vote Stacy 2032!! :D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:37 am 
Old Man with a Beard

Justin Stacy wrote:
2. I'm a Calvinistic Christian. If you've ever read the Westminster Confession of Faith, that's what I believe.

Including the part about the Pope being the antichrist?

We are not your enemies.
We would give you vast and strange domains
Where flowering mystery waits for him would pluck it."

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:30 pm 

Green Tea wrote:
Justin Stacy wrote:

Including the part about the Pope being the antichrist?

No, actually I follow the 1789 revision by the Presby church of america (PCA) which deleted that and one other point.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 12:51 am 

I'm bored! Hence the posting in random threads. And I might as well get this over with anyway...

Josh Tey. 7.7.95. STOA. I'm in Southern California AND we do have lots of snow. ;)
Christian, to find out what I believe, read the Bible.
Republitarian
4.Your goal in life
No clue!

Let There Be Parli.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 2:49 am 

well, I guess my username's a bit long... my name is Makenna Riley. (Riley will work)

I guess it is pertinent for debaters to know that I had to actually look up what pertinent meant. I am the middle child of five, so seeing both sides of an argument is rather important. I have done two years of LD debate so far, obviously starting in the Idealism v. Pragmatism year, skipped, then rejoined for the Legitimacy of governments this year. Definitions are extraordinarily important to me, I like to ground my arguments in some point of agreement.

"Becoming a christian doesn't mean you stop sinning, it just takes all the fun out of it." ~ my Dad.
Basically, God is in control, I'm a sinner, Jesus saved me. Grace is a gift which shouldn't be used as a 'get out of jail free card' even though I'm prone to use it like that.

The Government(in order to be legitimate ;) ) should focus on it's purpose(governing IT'S people) and leave the extra "programs" to charities and other organizations with those respective purposes, it should respect it's standard(also meaning it should not redefine or twist it's standard), and yes, it should respect the voice of it's people during formation. This form of government is practically impossible yet should be a good end goal. Voting wise= Republican.

4.Your goal in life
My goal in life is to know Christ. To reflect Him in everything that I do. What I'll be doing, I really don't know anymore. A few of my hopes are violinist, jewelery designer, photographer, and eventually a homeschooling mom. We'll see what the Lord does. :D

best analogy ever= Axing doors open. (08-09)

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 3:25 am 

Background/History
My name is Matt, I live in PA. I have 5 siblings (three sisters and two brothers). I live on farm way out in the middle of nowhere. I love science (especially biology). I am probably the biggest speech and debate geek in our club (which isn't necessarily saying much). I (quite often) overuse parenthesis.

Religious Philosophy
Look in the bible. I believe that the best way win people over to Christ isn't by debating your beliefs with them ( :o ). Instead we should develop relationships and live out loud. We should be practising (and advising) rather than preaching down at people.

Political Philosophy
Probably more toward small government Economically.

I will be more likely to vote for the politician who can show (with his record) that he votes on the basis of Christian Principles and NOT the base of lobbyists or even popular support.

Goal in Life
I am allowing God to direct my every step. My greatest desire is to be an imitator of Christ.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 6:21 pm 

Since I'm kinda getting back on HSD after being gone for a year, I guess I should post here:

1. Pertinent Background/history
My name is Ben Hoisington. Once a sheltered homeschooler, now I'm a 20-year old sophomore at Liberty University doing Electrical Engineering. I competed for 4 years in NCFCA speech, learning very little (expos/open/impromptu/extemp) and 2 years in debate learning MUCH more. Cody H (my partner) and I ran H1Bs India year, and Offshore drilling environment year, going to regionals both times. I'm finally going to do debate this fall at LU.

As for everything else, I live with my Mom, Dad, and 5 younger siblings. I'm a certified EMT. I was a drill sergeant at my CAP squadron, as well as a search and rescue ground team member. I know jujitsu. I was in both AFROTC and AROTC. I worked at Chick-Fil-A. I like the outdoors. I like to run. I like video games. I love science. Math is a necessary evil for engineers. CCMish music (Article One, Downhere, Leeland, Casting Crowns) is my fav genre, as well as similar sounding secularish artists (Coldplay, Owl City, Angels and Airwaves, Lifehouse). Movie soundtracks are good too, as well as some modern classical. Screamo sounds evil, and there are both biblical and practical reasons not to listen to it. ;)

2. Current Religious Philosophy
I'm a Presbyterian and a dedicated 5-Point Calvinist, amillenialist, 6-day creationist, and adamant non-Pacifist. I am a warrior for Christ, and I will debate with you all day on any of those four topics.

3. Current Political Philosophy
I've found that I support Ron Paul in basically everything (Libertarian/Republican). 2012 here we come!!!!

Things I am 100% sure of: 1. Constitution is wayyyyy underrated (and doesn't live/breathe/change). 2. Private sector beats the government in almost everything - government spending is counter-productive, and does NOT create jobs (read Economics in One Lesson). 3. Free trade is good, tariffs are bad (Read some Griswold at CATO). 4. More open immigration would be good (read our H1B case). 5. Most environmentalism is a hoax, doing more harm than good (opening more offshore drilling would actually IMPROVE the environment, my case is on HSD somewhere). 6. Most social issues should be given over to the states via the 10th (<-- my pic). 7. Drug policy should be consistent with alcohol policy (by the way prohibition kinda failed). 8. I'm Pro-life (begins at conception), government has the responsibility to defend this right.

Things I am not 100% sure of: 9. Cutting aid is good. 10. Interventionism has probably gone too far, but isolationism is also bad (#notsure).

4. Goal in life
At the moment, it's to earn a Ph.D. in Biomedical Engineering, get more involved in EMS, maybe Coast Guard one day, but I dunno if I could make it work with school. I also want to be a dad, becoming a politician or a church elder one day. But in the end, I'm just happy I've got God directing my steps!

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you...Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your soul, and the other for your freedom." ~ Grant Rosensteel, United States Air Force

Last edited by Perjamin on Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 1:15 am 

Background/History
My name is Carolyn and I have lived in the same house in VA my entire life. I'm 14 years old and finishing up my third year of debate. I am the second child of four and have been homeschooled my entire life. I have danced for eleven years and will play any sport you ask me to (as long as its not soccer :))

Religious Beliefs
I'm an Anglican so I basically believe the Nicene Creed. I am anti-abortion and pro-freewill. I believe that everyone deserves to be respected regardless of how much their religious beliefs contradict my own and that finer points of Christianity don't matter as long as you believe the basics: the Holy Trinity, we are all sinners, Christ became incarnate and sacrificed Himself on the cross to save all of us for all time, and Christ is the only way to Heaven.

Political Views
I am an anti-abortion liberal in ideas, but a conservative in execution (if that makes sense). I believe that the liberal's view of government including foreign aid, welfare etc. is necessary, but they don't execute it right and they need a tighter hand when it comes to how they manage the budget.

Life Goal
I'm only 14, so I have no idea yet, but I love studying literature and modern history, as well as teaching dance.

"I could have been a famous singer, if I had someone else's voice." ~ Road to Joy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:46 am 

Location: What does it matter? "Where I go, you cannot follow."
History:

Well, my name is Zach Horn, I'm 16, and I was born and raised in Michigan. I'm the first generation male in the Horn family not to have been born in New Zeeland for a long time. I am heavily English, as well as having substantial Aztec roots. I've always been homeschooled, and I love it. I've played a bunch of various sports. My favs are kayaking, skiing, mountain biking, I could go on for awhile.

Religious Beliefs

Emphatically Christian. I'm a Baptist, though I'm neither uneducated nor fundamentalist. ;) Christ will always be at the center of my life. 'nuff said.

Political Views:

Conservative. I've yet to meet a liberal stance I've liked. :)

Life Goal:

To run the race well for Christ. I want to become a missionary, raise a family, be a role model to my children. I want to leave a legacy of godliness that will impact future family generations.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:19 pm 

I'm going to upgrade this since my original post wasn't very specific.

History:

My name is Justin Stacy (shocking, I know). I'm sixteen and ending my junior year of high school. I am the oldest of nine children. My dad graduated from the US Military Academy at West Point.
I consider myself an intellectual. I like to read, learn, and especially to debate.
I'm not particularly athletic, but I have been able to go on several Boy Scout High Adventure trips including a 90 mile backpacking trip and a 50 mile canoeing trip.

Religious Beliefs:

My parents became Christians when I was young. The first church they attended was a Baptist church, so my parents became extremely conservative Baptists. Then my dad attended a Baptist seminary and became a Calvinist (weird, huh?). Now we attend a PCA church, which subscribes to an edition of the Westminster Confession of Faith. The main belief that keeps me from being fully Presbyterian is infant baptism, which I'm not sure about.

Political Views:

Socially, I hold very conservative values. I support free market economics. I am opposed to government aid programs, welfare, and most subsidies. I'm not sure where I stand on interventionism vs. isolationism. In some areas, I believe the US should just leave people alone. But in other areas, because of global economics and nuclear weapons, I think the US needs to be involved in other countries.
In dealing with enemies, I am strongly opposed to appeasement and believe that diplomacy will only work if you are ready and willing to use force as well.

Life Goal:

For college, I am trying to decide between one of the military academies or a Christian college.
In the rest of my life, I intend to work hard, possibly start a business, and enter politics later in life. I have also considered being a preacher.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:59 pm 
Cut off all contact. NOW.

History:

I am the third child and third daughter in a family of six. I grew up the first 9 1/2 years of my life in the wide open spaces of a lovely state called North Dakota. I moved to Indiana in 2004 and love it here. I come from a strongly Norwegian background but, shockingly (sarcastic) do not like lutefisk. (look it up if you don't know what it is.) ;) I read way too much and play a little piano.

Theological Philosophy:

I was raised in a 5-point calvinistic Evangelical Free church. Since moving, I now attend a 5-point calvinistic Southern Baptist church. I believe in a 6 day creation, the total depravity of man, the once-for-all death of my savior, God's election of his people, and in the return of Christ in his divine timing.

Political Philosophy:

I consider myself a conservative on most issues. On moral issues: anything that agrees with scripture and is glorifying to God. On economical issues: I really don't know where I stand. I do believe that we need to stop hiking the debt ceiling up and start paying back our debts and decreasing government spending and control.

Goal in Life:

Ultimately to glorify Christ in all I say and do. Whether that is being a stay-at-home mom, a missionary to Haiti or anything else, is up to God. :)

I Support The Right To Arm Bears.
Okay, fine, we won't eat Pizza in Paris.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 229 posts ]  Go to page Previous 16 7 8 9 1012 Next