homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:06 pm
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:37 am 
Evil Democrat

Home Schooled: Yes
What's that? A military couple got their wedding knocked off a golf course because Obama was playing?

And they had been warned about that possibility ahead of time as are all who plan events there?

And Obama didn't know about it and apologized when he found out?

Yep, time for everyone to get angry. HE'S SUCH A JERK AHHHH

In other, less sarcastic news
Quote:
During his eight-year presidency, Bush did take 879 days of vacation, including 77 trips to his Texas ranch. So far, Obama has taken about 150 days off. But our founders were away even more.

Maybe it's time the right wing should stop criticizing our President for enjoying his planned-ahead time off, unless of course, you're willing to be fair in your judgement of his predecessors.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:19 am 
Hint hint peoples.

And this is why I don't tend to focus on these types of things when examining Obama's presidency. Being the leader of the free world is an excruciatingly difficult job, to say the least, and the president deserves some down time. I don't begrudge Obama for golfing or taking vacation. However, it is worthy of note that (a) Obama has indeed golfed quite extensively and (b) it's not necessarily the number of golf rounds or vacation days he's taken, it's the timing of those trips and golf rounds that conservatives tend to latch on to. No fan of President Bush 43 here, but he does deserve credit for not playing golf during the Iraq war. Obama has gone off golfing at sensitive times before, which even he himself agreed was not a good idea PR-wise.

As the deer pants for the water brooks, so pants my soul for You, O God. -Psalm 42:1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:41 am 
Evil Democrat

ShaynePC wrote:
And we care because?

idk ask everyone in my facebook :P or–better idea–don't follow a post you don't care about.
Quote:
but he does deserve credit for not playing golf during the Iraq war

Iraq war took 7 years of his presidency. He took 879 days of vacation. I know golf≠vacation but you're not about to tell me that he took no vacation during the Iraq war.
Quote:
Obama has gone off golfing at sensitive times before, which even he himself agreed was not a good idea PR-wise.
Sure, but that usually happens because vacations/tee-times are pre-planned. President has no control over world events ;)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:56 am 
Hint hint peoples.

Hyper Static Union wrote:
Quote:
but he does deserve credit for not playing golf during the Iraq war

Iraq war took 7 years of his presidency. He took 879 days of vacation. I know golf≠vacation but you're not about to tell me that he took no vacation during the Iraq war.

That is correct. But refer to my prior analysis - this is really a moot point.

Quote:
Obama has gone off golfing at sensitive times before, which even he himself agreed was not a good idea PR-wise.
Sure, but that usually happens because vacations/tee-times are pre-planned. President has no control over world events ;)

Right, but I think the article I linked to gives proper context to the situation. While tee times are pre-set, you can certainly cancel or postpone your golf trip in lieu of an American citizen being decapitated. No question President Obama's rushed press conference was a bungled, ill-conceived plan, and the president actually owned up to it. So since you're such a big fan of his and presumably agree with almost everything he says, I'm sure you would agree with your idol, no? (That last sentence is highly sarcastic and communicates the point that any reasonable person should agree that President Obama's self-admitted blunder was bad. I know you tend to be liberal, but I don't even know if you're a "fan of Obama" liberal or a "non-Obama fan" liberal. ;P)

As the deer pants for the water brooks, so pants my soul for You, O God. -Psalm 42:1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:15 am 

In other, less sarcastic news
Quote:
During his eight-year presidency, Bush did take 879 days of vacation, including 77 trips to his Texas ranch. So far, Obama has taken about 150 days off. But our founders were away even more.

Maybe it's time the right wing should stop criticizing our President for enjoying his planned-ahead time off, unless of course, you're willing to be fair in your judgement of his predecessors.

In order to be fair in your judgement of his predecessors you have to take your own arguments with a grain of salt. Bush had a ranch that was his home and he actually worked from there if you research it a bit (ie. conducted presidential duties). Furthermore, when he went to his ranch (which I think made up the majority of those "days of vacation") he was going to his own home. This would be the same as Obama going to live in his Chicago home on his off days (which you don't really see because he sold that).

Also, this whole thread is pointless. I haven't heard a single "right-winger" say any of the things you mentioned and I believe it could have been an honest mistake.

President Obama gets rebuffed because of what IT APPEARS he is valuing golf over (e.g. after condemning ISIS).

Furthermore, the founders didn't live in the capital city year round (most owned far more accommodating estates at the time and the central government wasn't always in session).

This is a straw-man defense that lacks substance.

2011-12 l Porter/Thomason, Light/Porter
2012-13 l Bailey/Porter
2013-14 l Bailey/Porter
2014-15 l Folkert/Porter

2015-16 I Childs/Porter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:57 am 
Cupcake

You literally just copied Daniel, OP. :P

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:37 am 
Evil Democrat

Quote:
question President Obama's rushed press conference was a bungled, ill-conceived plan, and the president actually owned up to it.

I was talking about the majority of circumstances
Quote:
So since you're such a big fan of his and presumably agree with almost everything he says, I'm sure you would agree with your idol, no? (That last sentence is highly sarcastic and communicates the point that any reasonable person should agree that President Obama's self-admitted blunder was bad. I know you tend to be liberal, but I don't even know if you're a "fan of Obama" liberal or a "non-Obama fan" liberal. ;P)

For the record, I'm a fan of what Obama said he would do in the 2008 election and as a GENERAL rule of thumb I've liked what Republicans hate about him, but loathe most of his decisions (foreign policy mainly: drones, NDAA-related grievances, internet protections, etc.)
Quote:
In order to be fair in your judgement of his predecessors you have to take your own arguments with a grain of salt. Bush had a ranch that was his home and he actually worked from there if you research it a bit (ie. conducted presidential duties).

Implying Obama doesn't work at home.
Quote:
Also, this whole thread is pointless. I haven't heard a single "right-winger" say any of the things you mentioned and I believe it could have been an honest mistake.

oh since YOU haven't heard of it that automatically means it's not true. Got it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:02 pm 

Quote:
In order to be fair in your judgement of his predecessors you have to take your own arguments with a grain of salt. Bush had a ranch that was his home and he actually worked from there if you research it a bit (ie. conducted presidential duties).

Implying Obama doesn't work at home.

Actually, I'm implying that this whole discussion is hog-wash. I also see that you disregarded my point that Obama doesn't have a home to go to.

HSU wrote:
Quote:

oh since YOU haven't heard of it that automatically means it's not true. Got it.

Once again, you disregarded my point. No one uses "the president should work 24/7" as a justification. Our justification for our argument is what he prioritizes golf over.

2012-13 l Bailey/Porter
2013-14 l Bailey/Porter
2014-15 l Folkert/Porter

2015-16 I Childs/Porter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:29 pm 
Evil Democrat

JohnMarkPorter1 wrote:
Actually, I'm implying that this whole discussion is hog-wash.
The fact that you press the matter so strongly implies otherwise.
Quote:
I also see that you disregarded my point that Obama doesn't have a home to go to.
Sorry, I met vacation.

Quote:
HSU wrote:
Quote:

Once again, you disregarded my point. No one uses "the president should work 24/7" as a justification. Our justification for our argument is what he prioritizes golf over.

Prioritize is a very strong word. As pointed out earlier, usually these events/his vacation days are pre planned and (with SOME exceptions) the President has no control over what happens during his "days off" (he works on vacation days they aren't really true-days-off).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:10 pm 
Hermione's smart friend

JohnMarkPorter1 wrote:

Members of Congress, maybe? http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/12 ... -just-vow/

"Because we're grown-ups now, and it's our turn to decide what that means."
<3

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:02 pm 

Mindbender wrote:

Actually, the title of the article validates my point:
"Obama saying 'Aloha,' then taking trip is wrong response to N. Korea cyber attacks, Rogers says"
Conservatives aren't criticizing Obama for what he is doing, they are criticizing him for the way he is doing it and, as I said before, what he is prioritizing it over. And, I see that HSU doesn't like my use of prioritize, but I can't think of a different word for it at the moment (It isn't quite the term "prioritize" but he puts more emphasis on it then others appreciate).

2012-13 l Bailey/Porter
2013-14 l Bailey/Porter
2014-15 l Folkert/Porter

2015-16 I Childs/Porter