homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:25 am
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:10 pm 

Home Schooled: Yes
Anyone else following recent events in Ukraine?
As of right now the government is brutally cracking down on the peaceful protesters on Independence Square.
De facto dictator Victor Yanukovich is ignoring calls from international diplomats. The opposition leader Vitali Klitschko is calling on foreign allies to support the Ukrainian people against Yanukovich's diabolical regime. I would go further into detail, but I assume you extempers have been following things all right.;)
I want to know, how do you think America and Europe should respond?
Personally, I think massive sanctions on Ukraine is the most immediately effective way to curb the violence. It would weaken Ukraine's already teetering economy and hopefully get make a point to Yanukovich.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:49 pm 

So, sanctions don't work. They hurt the economy, maybe, but gives the President of Ukraine someone to blame for the hard times. It also reduces our influence and trade. Since stronger free trade between nations reduces the chance of said nations going to war, sanctions tend to be a bad idea. America should stay out of it completely; making a statement regarding it should be the most intervention it provides. The European Union should do the same, except provide fairly significant diplomatic assistance.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:59 am 
Kenya debate as good as me?

Hi! Writing from the Ukrainian capitol - Kyiv. The streets ran with blood, but it seems the revolutionaries have one. As to what the US should have done...we should have put on targeted person sanctions and frozen the assets of the major oligarchs and government figures in Ukraine.

birthdayfan wrote:
So, sanctions don't work.

That's a big claim.

birthdayfan wrote:
They hurt the economy, maybe, but gives the President of Ukraine someone to blame for the hard times.

Not personal sanctions. Personal sanctions just affect the elite of the country, and thereby make oligarchs less supportive of the corrupt regime. It massively increases the chances of defection.

birthdayfan wrote:
It also reduces our influence and trade.

Lol, do you think Ukraine is more or less likely to be friendly and trade with the United States now that Yanukovych is out of office? :P

birthdayfan wrote:
Since stronger free trade between nations reduces the chance of said nations going to war, sanctions tend to be a bad idea.

Okay. This is the 21st Century. What do REALLY think the chances of are the United States invading Ukraine? And Ukraine can't get to the United States.

birthdayfan wrote:
America should stay out of it completely; making a statement regarding it should be the most intervention it provides.

When the United States had to make this decision, protesters were literally bleeding on the streets. The riot police were openly using live firearms and slaughtering their own people. The United States claims to stand for justice and human rights - we can't neglect the use of all coercive measures (which is what you do if you refuse to use sanctions, unless you want military intervention) if we want to effectively stand for that position.

birthdayfan wrote:
The European Union should do the same, except provide fairly significant diplomatic assistance.

Though crass, I thought Victoria Nuland had some excellent thoughts on the European Union's response to the Euromaidan situation.

SDG.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:54 pm 

John III wrote:
Hi! Writing from the Ukrainian capitol - Kyiv. The streets ran with blood, but it seems the revolutionaries have one. As to what the US should have done...we should have put on targeted person sanctions and frozen the assets of the major oligarchs and government figures in Ukraine.

birthdayfan wrote:
They hurt the economy, maybe, but gives the President of Ukraine someone to blame for the hard times.

Not personal sanctions. Personal sanctions just affect the elite of the country, and thereby make oligarchs less supportive of the corrupt regime. It massively increases the chances of defection.

Wow, someone from Kyiv! An excellent analysis John III, I had never even heard of targeted sanctions before. (Pardon my ignorance, I've always been more of a domestic policy junkie) Could you point me to an example of personal sanctions working on such a big level?

birthdayfan wrote:
America should stay out of it completely; making a statement regarding it should be the most intervention it provides.

When a government's police force is out in the streets slaughtering its own people just to protect the power of a megalomaniac dictator, economic intervention on the part of the US is warranted, agreed? ;) And you say that our abstaining from the crisis makes a statement, right? I wholeheartedly agree!!! I think the statement says something along the lines of, "Despite claiming to protect freedom and justice for all, the United State's is proud to announce that we will begin condoning the actions of mass-murdering dictators!". Is that really the kind of statement you want America to be making?