homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:57 am
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:21 am 
Kenya debate as good as me?

Home Schooled: Yes
Listen to a political speech, and nine chances out of ten it has something to do with the economy. Our society and government have a myopic focus on dollar signs and stock dividends. And this shouldn't really surprise us - every society does. Since the dawn of time the drive for survival, and the desire to accumulate ever greater amounts of stuff has propelled humanity "forward." But what is forward? Are people happier now? Are people more virtuous?

Is there virtue to be found in wealth? Was it not the wealth of Rome that eroded the civic virtue that had made her great? And that topic of greatness is difficult as well. Is greatness, military or cultural might and reach, something valuable in and of itself? It seems that it may be better to have a virtuous, happy, and content citizenry than a rich and strong people. Christianity adds another interesting dimension to this - and I'm going to assume a belief that the Scripture is the Word of God as I make this point - if you reject that belief we can talk about it on the thread - but why is wealth good? Wealth is at most portrayed as a mixed blessing in the New Testament. Is God more pleased by the United States than Zimbabwe because we're rich and they're poor?

The obvious answer is that a ruler should do what is best for his people. But I don't know why it's best to have more than to have less. Isn't spiritual health the most important thing? Isn't virtue what we seek? If our goal in life is to "glorify God and enjoy Him forever" as is commonly accepted in Christian circles, how is that served by our wealth. Shouldn't we be displaying the supreme satisfaction found in Christ apart from all this stuff?

So when Republicans or Democrats or anybody says that their plans promote economic growth, why should I care? Why should that be a good thing instead of neutral?

SDG.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:04 pm 
Kenya debate as good as me?

Home Schooled: Yes
Well I would agree with you Razi, but I think you're missing my point a bit. I'm asking why I as a Christian should pursue as a personal goal of mine (through my vote) maximizing the wealth of our nation.

SDG.