homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:07 am
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

Any input will be appreciated!
Original Interp 57%  57%  [ 4 ]
Informative 43%  43%  [ 3 ]
Total votes: 7
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:46 am 

Home Schooled: Yes
So I have a speech I want to write on my (actual) time as an Underground Gourd Blackmarket Kingpin (no stealisies!), and I can't decide if it should be an Informative or an Original Interpretation for NCFCA.

Last edited by jmwalms on Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:02 am 

In the speech I wanted to go over a little bit of the background surrounding the whole business, and go over three or so marketing/psychology lessons that I learned from the whole experience. Here is a little background from one of my old fliers if your interested.

*****MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT CONCERNING THE UNDERGROUND GOURD BLACK MARKET*****
As many of you probably already know, over the few weeks on Wednesday afternoons YEAH Academy has been home to one of the largest (and most lucrative) underground gourd black markets in the Midwest. With the help of all of our incredibly wise, affluent, and cultured customers the underground gourd black market has performed far above the low expectations people set for it. I would be lying if I told you that I didn’t take great pride in the success of the underground gourd black market… But I would also be lying just as much if I were to take all of the credit for our success. Yes, I may have sold all of our 18 gourds in the span of approximately an hour and 15 minutes, and I may have also never needed more than a half hour to sell my entire inventory… But you were the one's that gave me your money. So go on ahead and give yourself a good old pat on the back, you deserve it (well unless your one of the few people that hasn’t bought a gourd yet… If so, you should probably put a rain-check on that back pat, until you get around to ordering that gourd). Now that you have done that, I won’t leave you in any more suspense about that important announcement. We have got some bad news and we have got some good news.
First the bad news,
All good things must come to an end…. And that includes gourds (Duncan.). The underground gourd black market is going to be (mostly) closing down operations by Wednesday November 11th.
But here is the good news,
We’re going out with a bang. One last “Gourd-gantuan Gourd Sale”! After long and careful deliberating we the underground gourd black market, have decided not to raise our prices. Your welcome. Instead we have decided to do away with our “buy two gourds and get a free gourd newsletter!” promotion, and replace it with our new and exciting “buy a gourd and get a free gourd newsletter!” promotion. Were still going to be selling gourds on a first come, first sell basis for a dollar a gourd. You can Private Message me before the 10 AM deadline November 11th for advanced ordering options, and from there we can plan on how (if at all possible) I can get a hold of your money and you can get a hold of the gourd of your dreams.
Thank you for your time,
Have a gourd day!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:28 pm 
Hint hint peoples.

Honestly I think you'd have a lot more fun interping this. Your snippet you gave us sounds like it was crafted for an OI. Now, if you want to be a little more reflective on your experience, or have your speech be a more deliberate critique of governmental policies (which is what I assume you are attempting to skewer), then you should make it an Informative. But from what you shared, it sounds like it could be a quite unique OI, and you could present your three points/lessons on marketing and psychology as part of your piece.

As the deer pants for the water brooks, so pants my soul for You, O God. -Psalm 42:1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:43 am 

That's the advice I have gotten from everyone I have asked so far... But after looking at the OI ballot I just don't really see how my speech is gonna fit the template. I don't have any characters. The whole things gonna be a little tongue and cheek and I am going to (ever so slightly) exaggerate my inner narcissism (like here is a rough-draft of my opening),

"My mama once told me that in everything you do, there's always gonna be someone's that’s better than you.
((pause))
And while that might be a very wise statement, it’s not true for everyone. Their will always be one person in every field that is actually better than everyone else. Like for example, when it comes to being a world conqueror there is no better than Alexander the Great, and when it comes to making popcorn there is no one better than Orville Rickenbacker, and when it comes to being an underground black market gourd kingpin there's no one better than…
((Pause))
Well me."

but other that I don't think it's gonna be fictional enough to be an IO. The three lessons I am probably gonna go over are
1. Kanye West Effect(/overconfidence can be self fulfilling).
2. You have to add the intangible value to the product if you want to sell it(/A signature from your uncle vs. a signature from Taylor Swift).
3. Experiences are in the long run more valuable than materialistic goods(/What are you gonna remember a year from now, your 3,786th Mt. Dew or that time you bought a Gourd from me?).
I know that the whole things is probably going to be a little too comical and disingenuous for most Info judges... But I just can't see it as an IO.
Keep in mind that I have done a speech before, so I am totally open and looking for any suggestions.