homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:17 am
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Verbal Citations
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:03 am 

Home Schooled: Yes
I love how I can ask loads of questions w/o seeming weird here! : D

I was wondering when (verbal) citations are necessary. I was reading over ncfca's rules, and the exception to citing is when it is common knowledge. My question is: Do I need to verbally cite someone for the name of an era, time period, or death of someone very well known,(for my case, I'm giving context of the time and find it awkward to write/say "Acording to so-and-so, Queen Victoria died in 1901." Or give credit to someone who didn't coin the term for a era, but the era isn't common knowledge, especially to Americans) or rather, what constitutes common knowledge, vs. original ideas/info.

Halpppp!

Post subject: Re: Verbal Citations
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:42 am 

Home Schooled: Yes
Location: I'm not lost! I'm locationally challenged. -John M. Ford
I don't know about NCFCA rules, but as a general practice I'd stick to verbally citing a source only when it gives you credibility you wouldn't have otherwise, or when you're taking ideas from a specific person (giving them credit for the idea). So if a you make some sort of judgement or offer an opinion, a quotation or a citation referencing someone who's not a high schooler can give credence to what a judge might otherwise question. If there's a particularly startling fact (i.e. Reagan tripled the budget deficit) then I'd definitely cite it, however. It's all about giving yourself a sufficient level of credibility and ensuring you don't plagarize.

I'd say basic facts that you can verify with a quick wikipedia search falls into the realm of "common knowledge" even if few people could write it down on a test.