homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:42 am
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Extemp Questions
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:49 pm 

Home Schooled: Yes
Hello Everyone,

Down here in Region 7, we are noticing a distinct lack in topic diversity. 8/15 of my topics dealt with the GOP primary last tournament. I was wondering if anyone else experienced the same thing?

Also, given the new 5-pronged extemp topic category thingy, I am a little worried that I am not reading about the right topics. If y'all notice any trends in topics, if you could point them out, that would be great.

R7: Foster/Foster ~ 2016
LA TECH: Foster/McReynolds ~ 2017? (Hopefully)

~Nate Foster

Post subject: Re: Extemp Questions
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:41 pm 
Is now cool

What are the new extemp categories and how do they work?

Ncfca.org is impossible to navigate.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:19 am 

Yeah, I feel the same way. We just finished a tournament and the first round almost every single question was about the GOP election. And I've only ever seen 1 culture question.

IIRC the categories are Domestic Politics, Domestic Policies, International, Culture, and Business... but in practice they end up being two rounds of domestic and one round of international. I like the idea of the new categories, they just don't seem to be working that well.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:01 pm 

According to my sources, the "categories" are just general terms for the questions you might encounter. Last year, they did Domestic, International, and Economic in Prelims and then a mixture in outrounds. This year, they do a mixture every round which is why I got an election question every category in prelims and outs. I hope this is simply an experiment and that they don't do this next year.

According to one of Mrs. Teresa's Q&A's there isn't a lot of variety in topics because they are just doing headline skimming to come up with questions. In fact, last tournament I gave a speech on the Apple v. FBI and I received a whole bunch of 5&B's because the two previous speakers had just talked about that. How was I supposed to know? Why is that even a possibility? It kept me from breaking. But, what are you going to do?

~Nate Foster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:31 pm 

Well the first two rounds at San Diego went swimmingly as far as topic diversity went. Then low and behold, three questions all talking about Donald Trump. Enter Nate into the speech room.

"Hi judges, I know you are tired of hearing about Donald Trump, I am too. But unfortunately NCFCA is forcing me to talk about him. If you look on your topic paper you will see that all three of my questions deal directly with Trump. So ... brace yourselves ... and thanks NCFCA."

~Nate Foster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:10 pm 
Is now cool

It's really hard to be able to tell what other people are speaking on. But there's a handful of ways to make sure that you're not giving the same speech as everyone else:

1) When you read the questions, pick the topic that's the hardest. So if your options are Syria, Trump, or bond sales in Brazil, then I would recommend picking bond sales in Brazil. If you're picking something that's less common/harder, chances are lower that the other people in the room will also be speaking on it. It also gives you a chance to learn more since you'll be reading on a topic you don't know a lot about, it'll help you improve as a speaker

2) At least when I was competing, NCFCA drew its extemp topics directly from The Economist. If you can tell that something is an "Economist" question, try to avoid it. Everyone in NCFCA has the Economist.

3) If you have to pick something super popular, start with the assumption that your audience knows what you're talking about. If you're talking about Donald Trump, skip the intro on who he is and what he believes and go straight into meta-analysis about what his election means and what pundits predict his behavior signifies. If you're speaking on Apple, skip the how/what/when and go straight into deeper legal and security implications. Try to take the topic further into "what this means about our society in general" or "what are the larger impacts here." The idea is to entertain and inform the judges while showing off your knowledge of current events. So telling the judges that you know that they're familiar with the topic, and that you're going to be looking beyond the headlines, helps them to feel engaged and impressed.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:11 pm 
Is now cool

I always wished NCFCA would invite me to help write extemp topics but, ah well. :P

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:27 pm 

Picking the hardest question is all well and good. (I talked about Moldova in Semifinals). But when all three topics are exclusively about Trump and the GOP, you kind of don't have a choice. I have done extemp for a while now so I remember when the Economist was a basic template for the questions but now the question writers are doing what Ms. Teresa called "headline skimming" in a Q&A. I don't like that at all. I carry the Economist in my box but I haven't really had a chance to pull it out, because Jeb! Bush isn't really an article worthy fellow.

~Nate Foster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:13 pm 
Is now cool

Ew -_- That's unfortunate.

My favorite extemp coach always pulled his topics from the Wall Street Journal, and pulled the questions from the middles of articles so that you really had to know the events in order to even understand what the question was about. Those were good times. If every question was about the GOP when I was in hs, I wouldn't have even done extemp. And not being allowed to go off card? Lame.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:32 pm 

+X wrote:
And not being allowed to go off card? Lame.

Technically you could go off card, you just have to have a card to turn in. At least, that is what I have heard. You could turn in a 100% blank card, but you just have to turn in the same one you brought into the room. The only rule changes that I am mildly happy about this year is the 20 minute prep time instead of 30 minutes.

~Nate Foster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:26 pm 

Well, another tournament is in the books and I have absolutely nothing to complain about. The topics I received at this tournament were complex, well-worded, and diverse. I was extremely pleased. I didn't have to talk about Donald Drumpf once! I am so grateful for the improvement to the topic selection. Maybe I misunderstood Mrs. Hudson's answer in the earlier Q&A or maybe they received some input from other students. Regardless, Extemp has regained its respect fully, in my opinion.

~Nate Foster

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 7:19 pm 

Home Schooled: No
+X wrote:
I always wished NCFCA would invite me to help write extemp topics but, ah well. :P

Have you volunteered?

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 2:24 am 
Is now cool

I talked to the region 3 people a while back, but the region is so small that they don't really have enough tournaments to need help. If I knew more tournament directors outside of region I'd email to volunteer, but it's feeling like I'm more and more disconnected with the debate world. :) I might get to write some extemp questions when I start coaching some local Stoa clubs, so fingers crossed.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:32 pm 

Home Schooled: No
You would probably need to contact the IE committee at the league level and offer to help there.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:20 am 

I'm thinking about doing extemp this year, and I don't think anyone in my club is doing it, or has done it. Any advice? I've taken a year of TP, so I can think clearly on my feet, but I have little experience doing purly impromptu speaking. How do debate skills transfer over? Are the evidence guidelines the same? I don't know much about this event, I haven't seen many rounds, and none live. Any advice would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:55 pm 

Imagine giving a 1AC without having to waste time on a mandate and boring TP stuff. Oh, and no one can stand up and tell you you're wrong.

That's extemp.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:30 pm 

_idontknow_ wrote:
Imagine giving a 1AC without having to waste time on a mandate and boring TP stuff. Oh, and no one can stand up and tell you you're wrong.

That's extemp.

This is a surprisingly accurate description.

Denney/Denney 2016-2017 Club 19:14
Brandon Denney 2017-2018 Club 19:14