homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:13 pm
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Re: IE Rules
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:49 pm 

Home Schooled: Yes
Hammy wrote:
I just heard back from the IE Committee. They confirmed that the 3x5 card is required in the speech.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:58 am 

mountain dude wrote:
bigsister23 wrote:
You cannot control other people. You can only control how you respond. There would be nothing wrong with you deciding to switch to Stoa if that would be a better fit for you.

I didn't realize it in high school, but as an adult I learned that sometimes it is better to just let things go and focus my energies elsewhere. Matthew 10:14 says "And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet." Obsessing over it when someone has wronged me does not make them change. It just makes me miserable.

Please know that I say this with kindness. I think it is great that you have consulted with godly adults in your life.

No, I understand. Most of the reason I still want to do debate is because all of my friends are there so for me NCFCA is a better option, but as the organization stands I'd do Stoa if I were starting again without friends in the league. I do think it's worthwhile to tell other people about the problems that I've seen with the organization and defend my beliefs about them, and that's mainly why I'm doing this.

Just curious... have you ever competed in a Stoa tournament? I know you have problems with NCFCA, but that doesn't mean that Stoa is automatically a better option. I've done tournaments in both leagues (primarily NCFCA, though) and I prefer NCFCA. But I haven't had the same experiences you've had in your region, either.

Reagan Bass/Justin Moffatt '12-'16

Retired.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:33 am 

No, I haven't. I would just rather not support NCFCA as an organization after what they've done to myself, my family, and my friends. I prefer Stoa simply because they're less focused on the rules, and the allow much more flexibility. I wanted to switch to Stoa but I was one of only a couple people in my club who did, and there aren't any Stoa people in Nebraska.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:42 am 
Hint hint peoples.

mountain dude wrote:
No, I haven't. I would just rather not support NCFCA as an organization after what they've done to myself, my family, and my friends. I prefer Stoa simply because they're less focused on the rules, and the allow much more flexibility. I wanted to switch to Stoa but I was one of only a couple people in my club who did, and there aren't any Stoa people in Nebraska.

Stoa has a presence in Iowa, Missouri, and Colorado, if you were willing to drive to their tournaments. And you could join an online club, like Virtual VALOR, and/or receive coaching from myself ;) (#ShamelessPlug)

Clarification: I'm not saying leave NCFCA. NCFCA has a much stronger presence in your part of the country, and it probably makes the most sense logistically for you to stay in that league. I'm simply providing this information so that you know there are options if you'd rather join Stoa. :)

As the deer pants for the water brooks, so pants my soul for You, O God. -Psalm 42:1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:45 am 

Evan wrote:
mountain dude wrote:

Stoa has a presence in Iowa, Missouri, and Colorado, if you were willing to drive to their tournaments. And you could join an online club, like Virtual VALOR, and/or receive coaching from myself ;) (#ShamelessPlug)

Clarification: I'm not saying leave NCFCA. NCFCA has a much stronger presence in your part of the country, and it probably makes the most sense logistically for you to stay in that league. I'm simply providing this information so that you know there are options if you'd rather join Stoa. :)

My partner wants to do NCFCA and all my friends are in it. I'm thoroughly convinced Stoa's a better league, but I like all my NCFCA friends. :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:06 pm 

Location: I'm not lost! I'm locationally challenged. -John M. Ford
Quote:
The speaker must turn in his card and draw slip at the end of his speech to the Extemp staff in the Extemp Prep room.

One problem I haven't seen anyone mention yet: if you've got five events you don't have time to go to seven rooms (five - one for each speech, and then to the extemp room twice). I've seen extemp rooms in completely different buildings - the rule expects you to walk all the way back, drop off your card, and then go to your next room.

Also, the rule makes no provision (as far as I've heard) for the return of the card? Because that would royally suck to lose your past extemp cards - regiving old speeches is one of the best ways that you can practice for extemp.

It's pretty clear whoever wrote the rules never competed. I used my card for one reason - and one reason only: to remember quotations. If I didn't have any direct quotations, I didn't use it.

I do like the change to 20 minutes and two topics, though. I'd typically aim to have time to run through the speech twice before leaving the prep room - I can't imagine how easy prep is with electronic extemp now.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:45 pm 

Sharkfin wrote:
One problem I haven't seen anyone mention yet: if you've got five events you don't have time to go to seven rooms (five - one for each speech, and then to the extemp room twice). I've seen extemp rooms in completely different buildings - the rule expects you to walk all the way back, drop off your card, and then go to your next room.

That's not a problem for two reasons. 1. Cell Phones, 2. Laptops. Virtually everyone is already coming back to the extemp room to pick up one or the other. It's really no problem.

Sharkfin wrote:
Also, the rule makes no provision (as far as I've heard) for the return of the card? Because that would royally suck to lose your past extemp cards - regiving old speeches is one of the best ways that you can practice for extemp.

I'd imagine that you'd be able to retrieve your card after the round is over. I can't imagine why not unless the prep room staff just decides to throw them away.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:57 pm 

Location: I'm not lost! I'm locationally challenged. -John M. Ford
Hammy wrote:
Sharkfin wrote:

That's not a problem for two reasons. 1. Cell Phones, 2. Laptops. Virtually everyone is already coming back to the extemp room to pick up one or the other. It's really no problem.

It seems like this creates a mandate, though - what if you have to get to another room?

Course, back in my day (and get off my lawn!), only a minority of the people even had phones.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:17 pm 

I'm fine with the rule change to getting a card with two topics. That actually brings the NCFCA into the norm of other leagues. Now that I think about it, I'm fairly certain that's how every other league does it (except Stoa). See? I can praise the NCFCA when their changes make sense.

I'm 100% against all the other rules. I've never competed in extemp, granted (I've always considered it an inferior form of parli), but Natalie was one of the top extempers in the nation for several years. She assures me that 20 minutes is not enough time to prep, even with computers. That makes sense, given the time it takes to formulate your opinion, retrieve articles, write down whatever you want, practice the speech, and get to your room. That's especially true at large/national tournaments. Also, for clubs that share one computer in common like my home club, you could be waiting to get the computer.

Both parts about the notecard are just ridiculous.

Google it, we're the second link that pops up. We're pretty proud of that.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:42 pm 

LocutusofBorg wrote:
Also, for clubs that share one computer in common like my home club, you could be waiting to get the computer.

Just a note, that isn't allowed under NCFCA rules. Every student must have their own computer.

LocutusofBorg wrote:
She assures me that 20 minutes is not enough time to prep, even with computers.

It will add a new challenge to the event. I've always had a tough time finishing my card in 30 minutes but I'm looking forward to the new challenge of 20 minutes.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:20 am 

Hammy wrote:
LocutusofBorg wrote:
Also, for clubs that share one computer in common like my home club, you could be waiting to get the computer.

Just a note, that isn't allowed under NCFCA rules. Every student must have their own computer.=

It used to be. We got clearance from leadership.

Google it, we're the second link that pops up. We're pretty proud of that.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:48 am 

Has anyone noticed that you can touch the flour during Biblical Presentation? There is no prohibition.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:11 am 

LocutusofBorg wrote:
Hammy wrote:
LocutusofBorg wrote:

Just a note, that isn't allowed under NCFCA rules. Every student must have their own computer.=

It used to be. We got clearance from leadership.

Wait, what now?

AragornForKing wrote:
Has anyone noticed that you can touch the flour during Biblical Presentation? There is no prohibition.

Gotta act out Elijah and the woman who couldn't run out of flour.