homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:59 am
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: IE Rules
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:34 pm 

Home Schooled: Yes
The IE 2015-2016 rules are up on the NCFCA website.
Looks like some interesting changes.

2014-2015 | Barnes/Spence
2015-2016 | Amedick/Barnes (2.0)
2016-2017 | Amedick/Barnes
2017-2018 | Amedick/Barnes

Post subject: Re: IE Rules
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:39 pm 

Extemp prep time is now 20 minutes instead of 30 minutes. 0.o

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:59 pm 

marinadelayne wrote:
Extemp prep time is now 20 minutes instead of 30 minutes. 0.o

Nice catch. I didn't see that.

Also... does anyone else feel a strange sense of foreboding that we're in for a year of pain with Biblical Interp? :/

Reagan Bass/Justin Moffatt '12-'16

Retired.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:02 am 

Apologetics and Impromptu have been changed slightly. Now the speaker only draws one slip of paper and it has two topics on it.

Landers/Peel / 2013 / UN
Landers/Peel / 2014 / Election Law
Landers/Shoemaker / 2015 / Middle East
Landers/Shoemaker / 2016 / Federal Court System
Howard/Landers / 2017 / China

"People say nothing is impossible. However, I do nothing every day." ~Winnie the Pooh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:06 am 

TheGreatScott wrote:
Apologetics and Impromptu have been changed slightly. Now the speaker only draws one slip of paper and it has two topics on it.
Whoa, I didn't notice that! Not sure how I feel about it....

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:14 am 

JustM.e wrote:

Also... does anyone else feel a strange sense of foreboding that we're in for a year of pain with Biblical Interp? :/

I'm going to judge this for lolz.

Actually it probably won't even break to finals so yeah.

Hammy wrote:
Also, Cashley died in a hole. I don't know why you keep trusting him. I mean sure he's super good at mafia and knows exactly what he's doing, but I feel like maybe some game you would just not trust him. :P Props to you Cashley, always making my games exciting.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:28 am 

The new rules are now available. Thoughts?

So far what I've noticed of particular note is:
  1. 20 minute prep time for extemp
  2. Holding a 3x5 during extemp speech is required
  3. Note cards must be turned in after extemp speech
  4. Electronics no longer prohibited in IO (though still no audiovisuals)
  5. Minimum three sources in Bio

Currently geeking out about econ and math at the University of Wisconsin-Madison

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:34 am 

MeAndMyBriefcase wrote:
2. Holding a 3x5 during extemp speech is required
3. Note cards must be turned in after extemp speech
Whoa.....I hadn't noticed those. That's really interesting. That second one's going to take some getting used to for sure.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:57 am 

JustM.e wrote:

They don't call it an Interp they call it a presentation. :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:31 am 

Reaction

Beaver/Rigby | 2015-2016

Check out this video!

And this one!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:50 am 

Masked Midnight wrote:
Quote:
Holding a 3x5 during extemp speech is required
Note cards must be turned in after extemp speech

Both of these are egregious changes. If a student wants to develop a speech and deliver it without a card, he/she should be able to. Unless the tournament plans on verifying every card, it won't stop "source cheating" any more than the status quo.

Wow.

^^Seconding

and to think I was thinking about coming back for only extemp. I might have to actually do TP now...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:12 am 
Hint hint peoples.

SavyAvy wrote:

Before I clicked the link, I said to myself "it has to be the ubiquitous "Dear God No" scene from the Office." Nailed it. :D

Each of the changes are a bombshell in and of themselves. So the fact that they're all being dropped on NCFCA like a ton of bricks isn't helping matters. From my perspective, it looks like y'all are genuinely surprised and that nobody got a say on this. It seems that NCFCA is dictating all this from Mount Olympus again. Did you even get to vote on it or get any foreknowledge that this was coming?

And I'm not even touching on the (de)merits of these changes. The sky isn't falling (yet), but in my humble opinion, the changes are for the worse, and not the better.

Now before Hammy comes giving his talking points to me again about respecting authority and all that, just know that I honestly don't want to tear down NCFCA. I wish the league all the best. I want to openly discuss these policies without unnecessarily attacking the NCFCA board/leadership. But it's hard for me to take them seriously when they keep doing stuff like this...

As the deer pants for the water brooks, so pants my soul for You, O God. -Psalm 42:1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:25 am 

Evan wrote:
SavyAvy wrote:

Before I clicked the link, I said to myself "it has to be the ubiquitous "Dear God No" scene from the Office." Nailed it. :D

Each of the changes are a bombshell in and of themselves. So the fact that they're all being dropped on NCFCA like a ton of bricks isn't helping matters. From my perspective, it looks like y'all are genuinely surprised and that nobody got a say on this. It seems that NCFCA is dictating all this from Mount Olympus again. Did you even get to vote on it or get any foreknowledge that this was coming?

And I'm not even touching on the (de)merits of these changes. The sky isn't falling (yet), but in my humble opinion, the changes are for the worse, and not the better.

Now before Hammy comes giving his talking points to me again about respecting authority and all that, just know that I honestly don't want to tear down NCFCA. I wish the league all the best. I want to openly discuss these policies without unnecessarily attacking the NCFCA board/leadership. But it's hard for me to take them seriously when they keep doing stuff like this...

Supposedly, Mrs. Hudson found out that people were resting in extemp prep because they had extra time, so she sent out a survey asking if people had extra time left in extemp prep. I never was asked to take part in the survey. I know some who were a part of it and some who weren't. The problem is that most people have extra time after writing their cards in prep, but that doesn't mean they're finished preparing the speech. I practice my speech, think about ways to further the analysis, come up with a clever hook, etc. in my extra time. And I know some people who work on their card till the last minute. This rule is going to be devastating to the depth of speeches given in extemp. It encourages superficial fluff now. I hate competing against that, and this new rule will inevitably make that worse.

Sorry for typos or whatever. I am mobile.

Beaver/Rigby | 2015-2016

Check out this video!

And this one!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:49 am 
Is now cool

Extemp prep has always been too long. Now that you have electronic extemp and can control f your articles and immediately get your own individual copies, prep should take even less time. It's a good decision for the league, and will help extemp be easier to manage/judge, and will help competitors with larger numbers of events. Good call by the leadership.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:57 pm 

Evan wrote:

Heh, all I'm going to do is disagree, nothing disrespectful here. :D But yeah, like Savannah said, a survey did go out about Extemp and I would guess that the change was a result of that survey. I for one complained that Extemp was too easy and should be made a bit more difficult.

+X wrote:
Extemp prep has always been too long. Now that you have electronic extemp and can control f your articles and immediately get your own individual copies, prep should take even less time.

Quite honestly, I've always used my full 30 minutes because I think slowly when developing ideas. I am very glad though because this will force me to develop my mind in a way that will allow me to think faster.

TheGreatScott wrote:

Yes!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:20 pm 

The more time I've had to think about it, the less terrible the rule changes are. My main issue with the rule is that we're going to have more fluffy speeches and I don't trust judges to be able to differentiate between the deep speeches and shallow ones. So, that's my problem. But maybe in a few years judges will figure it out and competitors will be discouraged when giving superficial speeches. We'll just have to see.

Also, I wish the survey had been sent out to everyone in the league so that everyone could weigh in. Oh well.

Beaver/Rigby | 2015-2016

Check out this video!

And this one!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:31 pm 

SavyAvy wrote:
I don't trust judges to be able to differentiate between the deep speeches and shallow ones.

What do you think NCFCA is? :D

SavyAvy wrote:
Also, I wish the survey had been sent out to everyone in the league so that everyone could weigh in. Oh well.

Have you not competed in extemp?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:36 pm 

SavyAvy wrote:

I don't think it should have been sent to everyone. Because not everyone has competed in extemp.
I haven't competed in extemp, so why should I get to say what is better?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:45 pm 

Jonah.a.barnes wrote:
SavyAvy wrote:

I don't think it should have been sent to everyone. Because not everyone has competed in extemp.
It should still have been sent to every family. Just because someone didn't compete in extemp one year doesn't mean that they haven't competed before or that they aren't planning on competing in the future. And I don't see why people who haven't competed in extemp previously ought to be excluded anyways. If NCFCA is going to actually conduct a survey to decide whether or not to implement a rule change, then they should give everyone an equal opportunity to respond.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:47 pm 

marinadelayne wrote:
Jonah.a.barnes wrote:
SavyAvy wrote:

It should still have been sent to every family. Just because someone didn't compete in extemp one year doesn't mean that they haven't competed before or that they aren't planning on competing in the future. And I don't see why people who haven't competed in extemp previously ought to be excluded anyways. If NCFCA is going to actually conduct a survey to decide whether or not to implement a rule change, then they should give everyone an equal opportunity to respond.

The survey asked questions that were specifically about our experience in extemp. It would have been silly to send it to people who didn't compete in extemp.