HomeSchoolDebate
http://homeschooldebate.com/phpBB3/

Extemp Genie!
http://homeschooldebate.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=14783
Page 2 of 3

Author:  New England Sunshine [ Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:51 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Extemp Genie!

Ginger Josh wrote:
I agree about the sources. I almost never used Fox or CSM. Bloomberg, Washington Post, and WSJ especially were often very helpful. Overall, this looks wonderful.


Settota wrote:
Personally, I would like to see more international and economic sources. Off the top of my head, I would like it if Al Jazeera, Merco Press, Japan Times, Moscow Times, Jerusalem Post, Bloomberg, WSJ, Washington Post, and Forbes were added.


Reg10n just finished a tournament, but I'm sure that Ethan will respond to you all very soon! I just wanted to mention that it will probably be difficult to obtain articles from the WSJ because--from what I understand--one must have a personal account to access all articles/full articles.

Author:  EthanReeves [ Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:20 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Extemp Genie!

All of those sources sound great.
I have some server work to do so I can't get to them right now but I will eventually. And definitely by next competition season. '

Author:  Voice of Reason [ Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:24 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Extemp Genie!

Suggestion: I don't know if you have an active list of which sources you use but it would be nice to see that on the website (I realize you have a picture with 10 sources but if you are updating your site it would be nice (plus, the picture is a bit hard to make out)).

It looks like a great idea and I'd be very interested in buying.

Is the resource available permanently once you purchase it? Or does it only last the debate year? (Ie. if I'm a freshman (which I'm not) could I spend $25 and have it my sophomore, Junior, and Senior years for that one-time price or would I have to spend $25 every year?) Either way it would be a bargain.

Author:  The Pumaman [ Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:29 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Extemp Genie!

JohnMarkPorter1 wrote:
Suggestion: I don't know if you have an active list of which sources you use but it would be nice to see that on the website (I realize you have a picture with 10 sources but if you are updating your site it would be nice (plus, the picture is a bit hard to make out)).

It looks like a great idea and I'd be very interested in buying.

Is the resource available permanently once you purchase it? Or does it only last the debate year? (Ie. if I'm a freshman (which I'm not) could I spend $25 and have it my sophomore, Junior, and Senior years for that one-time price or would I have to spend $25 every year?) Either way it would be a bargain.

From what I gathered of the process, you buy Extemp Genie only once, but you pay $25 for it every year. So if you were to buy it on the 15th (tomorrow), you'd pay $25 right then and there, and then pay $25 on Jan. 15, 2016, and so on until you tell Google to stop. Make sense?

Author:  Voice of Reason [ Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:37 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Extemp Genie!

That answers my Question! Thanks!

Author:  y-man23 [ Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:33 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Extemp Genie!

Used this at my last tournament. Can I say how nice it was to use articles from the day before in every extemp speech I gave. Yeah, it was pretty sweet.

Author:  marinadelayne [ Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:16 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Extemp Genie!

y-man23 wrote:
Used this at my last tournament. Can I say how nice it was to use articles from the day before in every extemp speech I gave. Yeah, it was pretty sweet.
Same here. It worked beautifully. I had plenty of articles on every topic and had at least four or five sources for each speech. I've already recommended the software to several people and will continue to do so throughout the rest of the season. Fantastic work, Ethan.

Author:  New England Sunshine [ Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:21 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Extemp Genie!

marinadelayne wrote:
y-man23 wrote:
Used this at my last tournament. Can I say how nice it was to use articles from the day before in every extemp speech I gave. Yeah, it was pretty sweet.
Same here. It worked beautifully. I had plenty of articles on every topic and had at least four or five sources for each speech. I've already recommended the software to several people and will continue to do so throughout the rest of the season. Fantastic work, Ethan.


I'm glad that y'all have enjoyed using Extemp Genie!

If you feel like it, a review on Google would be much appreciated. :)

Author:  EthanReeves [ Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:13 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Extemp Genie!

Thanks for all of the feedback folks. As my (former) partner said, reviews on the Chrome Store would be great. So would sharing Extemp Genie with your friends and fellow competitors.

You can all expect a few new sources to be added over the next month or so.

Author:  Cyberknight [ Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:28 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Extemp Genie!

I know lots of people have brought up sources you should add :P , but just wanna add my 2 cents worth:

Council on Foreign Relations
Brookings Institute
Heritage Foundation
Cato Institute

I love thinktanks, they give such a good range of ideas.

Author:  Evan [ Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:27 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Extemp Genie!

So my Extemp Genie software no longer gives to option to back up only new articles for some reason.

Image

Anyone else having this problem? Everything else still works fine, but the lack of the new articles button has been an issue for probably about a week or two now for me. It's no biggie, as I can simply hit the "last week" button, but still it would be nice to have the "only sync new articles" button back, as using the last week option takes longer.

Author:  EthanReeves [ Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:04 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Extemp Genie!

I'm glad Extemp Genie is working out well for you.

The "Sync All New" button has been removed in the new version 1.5.4. It confused some new users and was rather buggy.
I would recommend syncing the past month on a standard date every month and the past week immediately before tournaments. But how that's all managed is completely up to you.

Author:  Evan [ Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:09 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Extemp Genie!

EthanReeves wrote:
The "Sync All New" button has been removed in the new version 1.5.4. It confused some new users and was rather buggy. I would recommend syncing the past month on a standard date every month and the past week immediately before tournaments. But how that's all managed is completely up to you.


Ohhhh, okay. That makes sense. Thank you for your prompt reply and advice!

Author:  EthanReeves [ Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:34 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Extemp Genie!

No problem. I'm here to help.

Author:  _idontknow_ [ Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:46 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Extemp Genie!

Aww dang it I l like the "sync all new" option. Oh well. What other updates are there going to be in the near future?

Author:  EthanReeves [ Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:58 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Extemp Genie!

New sources. That's whats coming next.

Author:  Forerunner [ Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:27 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Extemp Genie!

EthanReeves wrote:
New sources. That's whats coming next.


Sweet. Looking forward.

I'm going to use extemp genie for the first time at a tourney next week.

Author:  Settota [ Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:49 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Extemp Genie!

My team has been trying it out and so far I really like it. But I was wondering if there was anyway to use it on a tablet?

Author:  EthanReeves [ Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:04 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Extemp Genie!

Settota wrote:
My team has been trying it out and so far I really like it. But I was wondering if there was anyway to use it on a tablet?


At this point no. Right now Extemp Genie can only run on the standard full version of Google Chrome.

Android and IOS apps may be available by next season.

Author:  Effervescent [ Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:12 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Extemp Genie!

I used Extemp Genie at my last tournament and it was great. I can't wait for new sources.

Page 2 of 3 All times are UTC+01:00
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited
https://www.phpbb.com/