homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 5:40 pm
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Extemp Genie!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:50 pm 

Home Schooled: Yes
To all the Extempers:

My former TP partner, Ethan Reeves, has released his extemp software that downloads thousands of articles, formats them, and stores them on your computers’ disk drive for offline viewing and searching. I used an older version of this software last year from qualifiers to Nationals and it’s amazing! With the newest updates, I can guarantee it'll be even better.

Extempers, I recommend you all check it out: http://extempgenie.com/ (It costs only $25!)

All the best!
Liat MeeYun ~

Last edited by New England Sunshine on Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Extemp Genie!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:18 am 

I just downloaded this. 100% recommended. Buy it. I am super impressed.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:29 am 

I used it for my first "real" extemp rounds last week, and it worked wonders. It almost feels like cheating. :P

Barndt/Barndt | TACT, R10 | 2012-13
Barndt/Barndt | TACT, R10 | 2013-14
Barndt/Barndt | TACT, R10 | 2014-15
Barndt/Blacklock | Arete, R10 | 2015-16
Barndt/Cuddeback | 2016-17

JohnMarkPorter1 wrote:
I'm inclined to think like Andrew does.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:31 pm 

ShaynePC wrote:
Seriously, this is so good. Even at least one college forensics team, if not more, have bought this.

'Tis true! I can't remember which teams (I'll look into it and post my findings here!)

If you like the software, please spread the word to fellow Extempers! Wouldn't want them to miss out. :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:38 am 
Hint hint peoples.

This software looks fantastic, and I would like to purchase it. Two quick questions:

- Am I only allowed to access Extemp Genie from computers logged in to my Google account? I would like to give the software to my entire team. If I need to have each person logged in to my account on their laptops, that is a minor inconvenience I'd rather not have to go through if there is another way to do it.

- I got a $10 Google Play gift card from a white elephant Christmas gift exchange party. When I went to purchase Extemp Genie, it was going to bill me $24.99. I did not see an option to apply my gift card to the total. Am I not able to put those funds towards a recurring subscription service?

As the deer pants for the water brooks, so pants my soul for You, O God. -Psalm 42:1

Truth is treason in an empire of lies...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:47 pm 

Here's Extemp Genie's customer support email address: extempgenie@gmail.com

Feel free to continue asking questions in response to this thread. You'll get a more immediate response if you email the above address, tho. :)

Last edited by New England Sunshine on Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:49 pm 

Evan wrote:
This software looks fantastic, and I would like to purchase it. Two quick questions:

- Am I only allowed to access Extemp Genie from computers logged in to my Google account? I would like to give the software to my entire team. If I need to have each person logged in to my account on their laptops, that is a minor inconvenience I'd rather not have to go through if there is another way to do it.

- I got a $10 Google Play gift card from a white elephant Christmas gift exchange party. When I went to purchase Extemp Genie, it was going to bill me $24.99. I did not see an option to apply my gift card to the total. Am I not able to put those funds towards a recurring subscription service?

Thanks for the questions, Evan! Here's a copy-and-pasted email response from Ethan. :)

~~~~~

Hello,
Thanks for the compliment on the software.

- The software licenses is individual. Meaning each competitor should buy it for themselves under their own accounts and with their own credit cards. Whether you want to refund them with club money or ask them to pay with their own funds is up to you. The best way to think of the license is like a debate sourcebook. Everyone has to pay for it themselves, once a year. In the same way though considering the time and effort saved I think the cost is worth it.

- Unfortunate the Google Play gift card will not work. Google Play is for Android mobile apps, whereas the Google Chrome Store is for Chrome apps and extensions.

Hope that clears everything up,
~ Ethan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:03 pm 
Hint hint peoples.

Thank you for the prompt reply and relating Ethan's message to me, Liat! That clears things up.

As the deer pants for the water brooks, so pants my soul for You, O God. -Psalm 42:1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:24 pm 

Hey Everyone,
I'm Ethan Reeves the developer of Extemp Genie. I finally got my HSD account setup and approved. Thanks for all of the praise on the software. If any of you have questions, comments, bug reports, or feature requests feel free to post them here or shoot me a line at extempgenie@gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:11 am 
Hint hint peoples.

EthanReeves wrote:
Hey Everyone,
I'm Ethan Reeves the developer of Extemp Genie. I finally got my HSD account setup and approved. Thanks for all of the praise on the software. If any of you have questions, comments, bug reports, or feature requests feel free to post them here or shoot me a line at extempgenie@gmail.com

Hi Ethan! Absolutely LOVE Extemp Genie. Quick question: One of my friends is wondering if you are planning on releasing an Android app version of Extemp Genie. Is that in the works?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:01 am 

Android and IOS apps are both on my long term todo list. Since Extemp Genie is written in web technologies it should be relatively painless to port it. Ideally they should come out next summer, but I'm making no promises :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:11 am 

Well this looks like it could be pretty cool! But the old extemper in me is resistant to the change. This must be what it felt like when they switched from physical files to digital ones. I do have one quick question. It looks like it only syncs some news sources and not all of them, so would it be possible to add your own files to the database if you wanted files from a news source that isn't listed (or just wanted to keep filing on your own to be up on the news)?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:39 pm 

At this point you cannot add articles on your own, though I *may* add that feature down the road. But the 10 sources available currently are varied and high quality, so they will definitely give you enough evidence to properly support your speech. In the future I hope to add many more sources. Ideally it would be sort of like a source "buffet." You could choose your own selection from a wide variety of sources.

In the mean time feel free to file some articles on the side, through whatever means you are currently using. Personally I find I can keep up with the news better now. When filing by hand generally its all about getting as many articles as fast as you can. Now that I use Extemp Genie I actually have time not only to read the headlines, but whole articles as well.

Also in my experience it was rare for my old filling box to have any significant amount of articles from more than 10 sources. Though there may have technically been 20 or 30 sources in my box, the vast majority of articles came from a few core ones.

And yes it is a large change. I think of it as going from a list of bookmarks to Google. You don't have as much control, but it's faster, more convenient, and saves you a bunch of time and effort.

On a slightly different note, are there any specific sources you, or anyone else for that matter, would like added to Extemp Genie? I'm always looking for feedback.

Happy Extemping!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:59 pm 
Get off my lawn, young'ins!

EthanReeves wrote:
On a slightly different note, are there any specific sources you, or anyone else for that matter, would like added to Extemp Genie?
Brookings Institution - my all-time favorite extemp source, bar none. A bit unconventional, but they publish great concise expert analyses of current issues from a variety of political viewpoints (mostly centrist).

EthanReeves wrote:
At this point you cannot add articles on your own, though I *may* add that feature down the road.
I imagine the main barrier is that each site formats and organizes their articles differently, requiring customized retrieval logic. Does the current system use RSS feeds at all? If so, it wouldn't be too hard to let users specify a custom RSS feed URL.

COG 2016 generics-only sourcebook - NCFCA/Stoa (thread)
Factsmith research software - v1.4 currently available (thread)
Loose Nukes debate blog - stuff to read with your eyes.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:10 am 

The Brookings Institution looks like a wonderful source. I'll try to add them in the near future.

I believe the previous poster was referencing manually adding specific articles, not entire sources. The first is doable, and will likely be added as a feature in a future season. The second is a bit more complicated. My server back end currently caches my sources' RSS feeds. This allows users to, for instance, download the past 3 months of articles while the websites RSS feeds only contain links to the past day or so of articles. If users were to add their own RSS feeds they would need to sync them as often as the feed has entirely new articles in it. For Fox news this would be every half an hour, for Brookings it looks like it would be about every three days. Also parsing the text of the article from the web page is rather complicated. When I know exactly how each source's article is composed it works great, but with user added sources errors would be likely.

Users might be willing to accept those trade offs. So I might add the custom RSS feature in the future.

With the current release though the main goal was to get it functional and on the market. Though having a wider variety in sources would be nice, the software in its current incarnation will give you enough sources to adequately support for your speech.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:00 am 
Get off my lawn, young'ins!

Ah, I didn't realize you were caching them, makes sense. That's probably a reasonable tradeoff (if you notify the user of the differences, anyway).

COG 2016 generics-only sourcebook - NCFCA/Stoa (thread)
Factsmith research software - v1.4 currently available (thread)
Loose Nukes debate blog - stuff to read with your eyes.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:07 am 
Forerunner

I downloaded this software and am going to do extemp for the first time in my life this year...

The reason being this is my 5th and last year and I always have tried new things each year just to challenge myself... so here goes haha.

A couple questions for people that use this software and are good at extemp:

1. How much syncing is recommended?
Do I need to have as many articles as possible from months ago? Or is extemp generally things in a time period close to the start of the tournament. I only have a tournament where I do extemp in about a month.

Since the rule is that the topics will be on everything in the past 90 days then it would make sense to Sync the Past Two months right?

2. I have no idea what to do with the Source Manager settings.

What are recommended adjustments of source compositions to focus on the better sources? What are the recommended numbers for articles it collects per day? Are the default ones good? Is more volume better? Or not really necessary?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:43 am 

Glad to hear your doing extemp.

1. I would recommend syncing the past 2 months. That should be plenty of articles. After you initialize the database, to keep it up to date, use the "Sync All New" button. That will only sync the articles that are not already in your database. Which will save you a bunch of time.

2. The Source Manager settings are mainly for customization. For instance if you really didn't like Fox News, you could disable it. For now though I would recommend sticking with the defaults. They should serve you well.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:50 am 

Personally, I would like to see more international and economic sources. Off the top of my head, I would like it if Al Jazeera, Merco Press, Japan Times, Moscow Times, Jerusalem Post, Bloomberg, WSJ, Washington Post, and Forbes were added.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:23 pm 

I agree about the sources. I almost never used Fox or CSM. Bloomberg, Washington Post, and WSJ especially were often very helpful. Overall, this looks wonderful.