homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:33 pm
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Two HI Questions
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:06 pm 

Home Schooled: Yes
Yes, it's true, I've already started working on next year. I have three speeches, the important two are a duo and HI.

The first question I have is: My duo and HI are from the same book "God does have a sense of humor" by Rob Ballister. I know the rules do not allow you to have two speeches on the same thing. IE: A duo and Open on Wizard of Oz. But while my speeches are from the same book, they are different stories. This book is made up of small stories, my HI focuses on two, while my Duo handles another three. Is this legal? I have asked many people. All of them have said they didn't know, all except for one, who said I can't. This person I wouldn't really trust the future of my speeches to, he also as reverted his opinion to an 'I don't know' just like everyone else. I plan on asking a bigwig at NCFCA if this cannot be answered here.

The Second I have is: My HI in question could be interpreted at racist. In this particular scenario, is an Asian (like Paul Liu) did it, I believe they could go to Nats with it (it's really funny) but I am not Asian. I never saw it as racist (the character in question is an old Chinese guy who is really weird), it also is a (slightly exaggerated) true story. Not sure if that fact really affects anything.

So I ask two things. Is it alright to have two Interps on the same book, but different parts? And should I be worried about the possible racist themes in my HI?
Should I just get a new HI, which would make all these troubles float away?

P.S. I live in a multi-colored home, so does that somehow give me an immunity regarding race? I have never been racist, at least I hope. Also the judges wouldn't know my background... this is turning more into a mumble than a P.S.

Thanks in advance
- GJ

Post subject: Re: Two HI Questions
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:54 pm 

NCFCA HI Event Rules wrote:
Only a single selection may be used from within a collection of
works. Each book of the Bible is considered a separate source of literature.

I would encourage you to check whether you are really having "separate stories" in your interp. That won't fly: Each interp has to be on only one if your book really has separate stories.

If you are in compliance with that, then you should be ok with using different selection from the same book. Look at what the rules say:

NCFCA Tournament Rules wrote:
A competitor may not enter the same speech in more than one event at the same tournament.

The same speech implies the same selection from a collection of stories. As long as you are doing different selections, and you are in compliance with the first rule I pointed out, then you are fine. Nevertheless, I'd recommend asking the bigwig so that you have an official opinion about it, even though they'll say the same thing I'm telling you.
Background: I've done speech and debate for five years, including HI and Open in the interp category. I'm now a graduating senior.

Now to your second question. If you never saw it as racist, you will not get very many judges who think it is. You will probably get one during the year, but if it's something you didn't notice, very few judges will. Part of it is in how you cut the interp, though.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:56 pm 

The_Vinn wrote:
The first question I have is: My duo and HI are from the same book "God does have a sense of humor" by Rob Ballister. I know the rules do not allow you to have two speeches on the same thing. IE: A duo and Open on Wizard of Oz. But while my speeches are from the same book, they are different stories. This book is made up of small stories, my HI focuses on two, while my Duo handles another three. Is this legal? I have asked many people. All of them have said they didn't know, all except for one, who said I can't. This person I wouldn't really trust the future of my speeches to, he also as reverted his opinion to an 'I don't know' just like everyone else. I plan on asking a bigwig at NCFCA if this cannot be answered here.

(as a person who doesn't really do speeches) I would simply ask the NCFCA committee and send an e-mail. That way you will get a definite response. The fact is, even if everyone on here says that it is okay, you can still be disqualified at a tournament if the Board says so. (ie. the HSD Community doesn't interpret the rules :D ) By getting an e-mailed official response, you can silence any doubts other competitors would have in the future that could get you disqualified from a qualifier.

Racism is up to interpretation. If you are deriding the concept of racism, then that is one thing. To quote G Force's HI "depicting racism is not racist" :). It's all up to interpretation. Also, this is a Humorous Interpretation, then you are simply reciting words that are not your own. I think most parent judges and alumni would understand that and be totally fine, and if you make the right adjustments it should be okay.

2011-12 l Porter/Thomason, Light/Porter
2012-13 l Bailey/Porter
2013-14 l Bailey/Porter
2014-15 l Folkert/Porter

2015-16 I Childs/Porter

Last edited by Voice of Reason on Tue May 06, 2014 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:58 pm 

JohnMarkPorter1 wrote:

(as a person who doesn't really do speeches) I would simply ask the NCFCA committee and send an e-mail. That way you will get a definite response. The fact is, even if everyone on here says that it is okay, you can still be disqualified at a tournament if the Board says so. (ie. the HSD Community doesn't interpret the rules :D ) By getting an e-mailed official response, you can silence any doubts other competitors would have in the future that could get you disqualified from a qualifier.

Bingo.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:47 pm 

The LDer wrote:
JohnMarkPorter1 wrote:

Bingo.

This. All the way. A year ago a Duo was DQ'ed at Regionals for being different parts of an anthology - a perfectly fair rule. But there's one problem: even the Library of Congress said that the book was not an anthology. So don't trust anyone but the NCFCA themselves when it comes to deciding whether something is okay or not. :)

Barndt/Barndt | TACT, R10 | 2012-13
Barndt/Barndt | TACT, R10 | 2013-14
Barndt/Barndt | TACT, R10 | 2014-15
Barndt/Blacklock | Arete, R10 | 2015-16
Barndt/Cuddeback | 2016-17

JohnMarkPorter1 wrote:
I'm inclined to think like Andrew does.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 12:53 am 
Forerunner

The Pumaman wrote:
This. All the way. A year ago a Duo was DQ'ed at Regionals for being different parts of an anthology - a perfectly fair rule. But there's one problem: even the Library of Congress said that the book was not an anthology. So don't trust anyone but the NCFCA themselves when it comes to deciding whether something is okay or not.

Oh this. I remember this. Highly unfortunate. :/

A couple thoughts:

Firstly, I don't think the fact that your not asian makes it racist... just the piece itself and the interpreting of it would be anyway.

Lol and secondly, NCFCA leadership = NCFCA bigwigs? :P

Liberty University

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 12:51 am 

The LDer wrote:
JohnMarkPorter1 wrote:

Bingo.

This, but the NCFCA committee is notorious for not responding--in three years I never once got a response (even when asking very legit, very important questions). If they don't respond, ask your state rep or regional director.

On the racist thing--it should be fine. If this were college speech, yes, it would be considered racist. However, the judge pool of the NCFCA is conservative enough that simply playing someone of a different race is not seen as racially offensive. Just don't make it a caricature.

Google it, we're the second link that pops up. We're pretty proud of that.