homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:13 pm
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Infosuasions
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:45 am 

Home Schooled: Yes
So, I judged informative speaking at a tournament recently, and I noticed that half of the speeches were not informative, they were persuasive. This really bugged me since I do college PA and I was wondering if this is something that everyone is doing, or if it is just happening in Region 5?

Post subject: Re: Infosuasions
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:58 pm 

Well... it says in the rules of the event that it should "inform" or inspire. Mine's more inspirational, trying to get people to imitate heroic qualities in others. I find that these do better than others because the more inspirational ones tell people what to do with the information.

I agree, there's a line between the categories. But... someone who has a point to all the information they're stating will probably be met with more favor than someone who just lists facts. (Not that that's what you're doing, of course) :)

$0.02

Reagan Bass/Justin Moffatt '12-'16

Retired.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:31 am 

ShaynePC wrote:
This has bothered me since I started. Also, it's reverse situation, in that most persuasives ought to be in the informative category.

When I judge speech, I avoid platforms as much as possible for this very reason. I hate writing "wrong category" on literally every ballot. The year I watched expos at nats (it was still expos then) every single speech except for like 2 (out of 24) were persuasives with props. And the props weren't even necessary.

Google it, we're the second link that pops up. We're pretty proud of that.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:35 am 

Quote:
This has bothered me since I started. Also, it's reverse situation, in that most persuasives ought to be in the informative category.

Yeah, I've noticed that. Even the one's who are persuades have basically no solutions. It is really annoying. I am desperately trying to get the kids in my club to actually do PA right. :P

JustM.e wrote:
Well... it says in the rules of the event that it should "inform" or inspire. Mine's more inspirational, trying to get people to imitate heroic qualities in others. I find that these do better than others because the more inspirational ones tell people what to do with the information.

I agree, there's a line between the categories. But... someone who has a point to all the information they're stating will probably be met with more favor than someone who just lists facts. (Not that that's what you're doing, of course) :)

$0.02

Yeah, I read the thing about inspire. Which is stupid and I don't know why you would put it in the rules. Regardless, an informative should not have a call to action. If it does, it is a persuasive. Also, people need to learn how to outline. Seriously!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:03 pm 

A speech designed to change one's perspective can very permissibly be in informative.

A speech designed to call people to action should probably only be in persuasive.

edelblutmusic <my music you listen to with your ears

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:51 pm 

mechanical pencil wrote:
A speech designed to change one's perspective can very permissibly be in informative.

A speech designed to call people to action should probably only be in persuasive.

I think that is a valid distinction.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:09 pm 

Settota wrote:
Yeah, I read the thing about inspire. Which is stupid and I don't know why you would put it in the rules. Regardless, an informative should not have a call to action. If it does, it is a persuasive. Also, people need to learn how to outline. Seriously!!!!
Perhaps that would make it like a persuasive in some ways. However, if the information you are sharing in your informative doesn't have some sort of point, then why should the judges care about it? A speech about some obscure species of animal can be interesting. I would think, however, that the judges would rather hear a speech that is about something that actually matters and has a purpose. For example, my informative is on peanut allergies. I talk about what peanut allergies are, what people think peanut allergies are, and how to help people with peanut allergies (how to recognize when someone is having an allergic reaction, how to administer an EpiPen, etc.). I am not just telling people about peanut allergies (and really severe allergies in general) because I find it interesting, but so that, after each tournament, at least nine judges could potentially save the life of a person with a severe allergy. Although it does have some persuasive qualities to it (as I am trying to convince people to take sever allergies more seriously), it really is just an informative speech with a specific purpose. I do not think that means it should be a persuasive. My speech is still an informative, even if I am trying to change my judges' ideas of peanut allergies.
mechanical pencil wrote:

Yes, but the line between the two can be slightly blurred at times.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:17 am 
melancholy milkshakes. no straws.

The informative category is kinda ridiculous, and I hope it goes away. Very very far away. It's basically a more strict version of OO and more generic version of Bio, both of which were more interesting. If I wanted to hear a collection of facts, I'd binge on Wikipedia articles. That never happens.

I judged it earlier this year. Dull. :roll:

Two roads diverged in a wood and I -
I took the one less traveled
And that has made all the difference

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:48 pm 

Home Schooled: No
Then you're seeing it done poorly. There's nothing dull about informative speaking properly done.