homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:18 am
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:28 pm 

Home Schooled: Yes
Hi!

I'm looking for help with my ADS. It's my first speech, and I've never seen one in NCFCA so I'm not really sure how it should look/sound. Is anyone out there doing one as well? What kinds of topics are people doing?

Thanks!
-Jazzy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:20 am 

Hey! :D

I've done ADS at one practice tourney so far. My topic is family. :) Several people from my club are doing different topics as well (heroes, Pakour). I also have a friend who is doing one critiquing music.

The best way I can phrase the purpose of the category so far is "Persuade people on something relatively serious, in a humorous manner."

Buuuuuuut it's worth noting that the best part about this topic right now is that it's unwritten. Sure, you have some brief guidelines (make it humorous, persuade/inform) but the way you go about doing it is largely up to you. ;) So don't stress too much about what an ADS "should" sound like. The judges are going to learn about what to expect in an ADS from your speech! :)

If you have any more questions, I'll try to help you out. I'm learning with you XD haha.

-Justin

Reagan Bass/Justin Moffatt '12-'13
Reagan Bass/Justin Moffatt '13-'14
Reagan Bass/Justin Moffatt '14-'15
Reagan Bass/Justin Moffatt '15-'16

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:04 am 

Thanks! That helps so much! :D I think I'm going to speak on self esteem or something along those lines (a bit clique I suppose, but what the heck, it's my first speech XD ). It's good to know what other people are speaking on. I was hoping to watch ADSs at the FASD practice tourney but we weren't able to. How did it go?

Caswell/Hubbard 2012-2013
Caswell/Hubbard 2013-2014

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:20 am 
Mr. Grumpy

While new to the NCFCA, ADS has been around in college forensics leagues for a while. There are plenty of videos of ADSs on Youtube. You might be best looking there for some ideas. [Warning: Vulgarilty is considered the norm for that event in college forensics. So if that bothers you, you may not want to watch them.]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgZbFkfHg8Y

Coach: ResolvedFL - Sigma Society
USF - Class of '19 - Applied Mathematics

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:44 pm 

Little Miss Jazzy wrote:
Thanks! That helps so much! :D I think I'm going to speak on self esteem or something along those lines (a bit clique I suppose, but what the heck, it's my first speech XD ). It's good to know what other people are speaking on. I was hoping to watch ADSs at the FASD practice tourney but we weren't able to. How did it go?

Haha no! That's great. I think that's fantastic. :) I can definitely see a good ADS with that topic. Were you at the FASD tourney and weren't able to watch? Or you weren't able to go? It went well :) there were only five of us XD the first round I got all 2nds I think, and the second round I got two 1sts and a 2nd. :) I figured I should be pleased. But I'm fairly new to speech so idk. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:01 pm 

JustM.e wrote:
Haha no! That's great. I think that's fantastic. :) I can definitely see a good ADS with that topic. Were you at the FASD tourney and weren't able to watch? Or you weren't able to go? It went well :) there were only five of us XD the first round I got all 2nds I think, and the second round I got two 1sts and a 2nd. :) I figured I should be pleased. But I'm fairly new to speech so idk. :)

I *was* at the tournament, just not the speech part :D I don't think we met though. I'm the Hubbard in Caswell/Hubbard (maybe I should do one o' them fancy debatey sigs the rest of ya'll have XD). The girl with massive curly hair ;)
First and second places are fantabulous! I assume you weren't on script? I talked on one of my friends who judged speech that day and she was so frustrated that good speeches had scripts and at the rank penalty. So sad :(

While new to the NCFCA, ADS has been around in college forensics leagues for a while. There are plenty of videos of ADSs on Youtube. You might be best looking there for some ideas. [Warning: Vulgarilty is considered the norm for that event in college forensics. So if that bothers you, you may not want to watch them.]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgZbFkfHg8Y

Thanks! This is great :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:08 pm 

Little Miss Jazzy wrote:
I *was* at the tournament, just not the speech part :D I don't think we met though. I'm the Hubbard in Caswell/Hubbard (maybe I should do one o' them fancy debatey sigs the rest of ya'll have XD). The girl with massive curly hair ;)
First and second places are fantabulous! I assume you weren't on script? I talked on one of my friends who judged speech that day and she was so frustrated that good speeches had scripts and at the rank penalty. So sad :(

Ohhhh! Gotcha :) Haha. Cool! No, I didn't meet you or your partner. Sad :/ I'm the Moffatt in Bass Moffatt :) (in case you couldn't read my sig... which you probably did... but whatever, I like introductions) Haha curly hair! Awesome! XD
Lol they are? Well that's good :) Although, that was only out of 5 ;) And nope I wasn't... but that second part of your post makes me feel kind of bad about that XD apparently, the good speeches had scripts. hmph. (I'm kidding ;) )
Are y'all coming to the Battle of Fredericksburg?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:25 pm 

JustM.e wrote:
Lol they are? Well that's good :) Although, that was only out of 5 ;) And nope I wasn't... but that second part of your post makes me feel kind of bad about that XD apparently, the good speeches had scripts. hmph. (I'm kidding ;) )
Are y'all coming to the Battle of Fredericksburg?

Well you can't get much higher than 1st or 2nd no matter how big the group is! And I think she judged persuasives and interps or something. Not sure she even saw your speech so there! :P

Yes, I'll be there! I'm really excited for the first "real" tournament :D We did well at the practice but I'm anxious to try against more experienced debaters (this is technically my second year but last year we only did one tournament, so we're still novices. But like, not really. But we certainly aren't "experienced" either so we're NCFCA middle school phase or something).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:20 pm 
Mr. Grumpy

ShaynePC wrote:
Battle of Fredricksburg? Seriously, that's the name of the tournament?

I'm not sure if that slightly ridiculous or incredibly epic.

Region IX has given their tournaments names like that for years.

Coach: ResolvedFL - Sigma Society
USF - Class of '19 - Applied Mathematics

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:08 am 

Little Miss Jazzy wrote:
Well you can't get much higher than 1st or 2nd no matter how big the group is! And I think she judged persuasives and interps or something. Not sure she even saw your speech so there! :P

Yes, I'll be there! I'm really excited for the first "real" tournament :D We did well at the practice but I'm anxious to try against more experienced debaters (this is technically my second year but last year we only did one tournament, so we're still novices. But like, not really. But we certainly aren't "experienced" either so we're NCFCA middle school phase or something).

Haha I guess. And lol XD well I do have a PS, but I'm not really worried about it ;) thanks, though haha.

Same! Awesome! :D and gotcha. XD I love the comparison. It's kinda perfect. Haha. :) Which tourney did y'all do last year?

Crazy-Clubin'-People wrote:

Yep. And it's incredibly epic, obviously. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:17 am 

JustM.e wrote:
Which tourney did y'all do last year?

We did the Fairfax Finale at the one Christian private school. I joined my club (STILL) about a month and a half before the tournament and we kind of decided to go at the last minute (or it definitely felt like it!) It was a ton of fun and I got to meet a few of the really experienced debaters. We also learned how to properly pick a case XD (that time we literally drew straws O.O It worked pretty well; we went 3/3) and how to flow during a round. I'm sooooo excited for the Battle of Fredricksburg

Crazy-Clubin'-People wrote:

Who wouldn't?! It's fantastic XD

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:37 am 

Little Miss Jazzy wrote:
We did the Fairfax Finale at the one Christian private school. I joined my club (STILL) about a month and a half before the tournament and we kind of decided to go at the last minute (or it definitely felt like it!) It was a ton of fun and I got to meet a few of the really experienced debaters. We also learned how to properly pick a case XD (that time we literally drew straws O.O It worked pretty well; we went 3/3) and how to flow during a round. I'm sooooo excited for the Battle of Fredricksburg

Ohhhh figures. We didn't go to that one. Haha. :P Well that's awesome! Sounds like y'all have some natural talent :) Haha. (Really? Drawing Straws? That... sounds risky. Haha. Glad it worked out, though) And I still don't know how to flow myself ;) XD kidding... mostly.
Me too! :D It's gonna be awesome.