homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:32 pm
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:23 pm 
THE Cookie Monster!

Home Schooled: Yes
I'm a senior and I've done interps every year for the past six years, but always just for fun because I'm not good at them. I have a really hard time letting down my emotional wall, so I struggle in emotional speeches...which doesn't work out too well since I always give pretty emotional speeches. :P

Anyway. I have some really great pieces this year, and I'd like to actually be competitive with them. So, interp masters, what are your tips? How do you excel at interping?

Bakke/Bakke | TP <3 | 10-11
Bakke/Van Ness | TP <3 | 11-13
Sad Brenna | LD ew | 13-14
PHC Student | wow such college deb8 | 14&beyond

You're not alone.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:28 pm 
melancholy milkshakes. no straws.

Home Schooled: Yes
I may not be a master but interps have been a passion of mine for years. :D

revgirl wrote:
I'm a senior and I've done interps every year for the past six years, but always just for fun because I'm not good at them. I have a really hard time letting down my emotional wall, so I struggle in emotional speeches...which doesn't work out too well since I always give pretty emotional speeches. :P

lol I always had an easier time with the emotional ones. I did a few funny ones in my time but the majority of my pieces were dramatic and sad. :( So here's what I did...

Cutting: I'm not sure if you've finished the cutting process yet, but whenever I'd cut a piece of literature I'd always try to visualize it by playing out the performance in my head. It helped me latch onto some of the emotions involved and might help you break down your emotional wall. The cutting process is also the best place to start thinking about voices and accents. Read your lines aloud.

Understand what's going on: What's also helpful is to really, really think about it. Emotional moments in stories are always there for a purpose. The reason they're emotional is because of the actions, words, effects, and consequences that surround them. Actions alone are meaningless without the meaning behind them. So if there's a really painful or emotional scene in one of your interps, the best way to do it justice is to come to a realization of just what that emotional scene means as a whole; how it affect your character, or how it came to be in the first place, etc.

For example, I did Night by Elie Wiesel as a DI a few years back (cliche I know), and the main character's father died near the climax of my interp. Naturally, the main character cries at this scene. But the reason I was able to deliver that honest emotion time and time again is because I understood that the death of Wiesel's father in many ways also represents the death of Wiesel's faith in God...a very sad thing.

Think about it the right way: I always treated interps very seriously (except for duos lol), which actually really helped me deliver honest performances of tough pieces. If you think of yourself as an actor, then your job is not only to interpret your characters but to become them. Make them all unique, make them all interesting, but most of all UNDERSTAND them. If you understand why your characters do the things that they do, you'll find it easier to deliver them with honesty and conviction.

Back to my Night DI: The main character (Wiesel) had been struggling with his faith for a long time, and his father was the last light in a doubt'filled world. My understanding of this helped me understand his pain all the more when his father dies near the end. He's basically losing everything he ever loved and left with a hole in his heart. That's a powerful emotion.

And that's what helped me with the dramatic pieces. If you want any advice specific to your pieces, feel free to hit me up on the PM. Like I said I absolutely love everything about interps :D

Two roads diverged in a wood and I -
I took the one less traveled
And that has made all the difference