HomeSchoolDebate
http://homeschooldebate.com/phpBB3/

Impacts in the 1NR?
http://homeschooldebate.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=15359
Page 1 of 1

Author:  sons_of_thunder [ Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:35 pm ]
Post subject:  Impacts in the 1NR?

If you introduced the disadvantage in the 2NC, is it okay to present the impact (or extend the disadvantage by adding additional causes, additional impacts, etc.) in the second part of the block, the 1NR? In other words, if you introduced the general argument, can you expand on it?

Author:  this_is_n8_speech [ Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:48 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Impacts in the 1NR?

I would say yes! If you have all of the refuting done then why not extend arguments?

Author:  sons_of_thunder [ Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:00 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Impacts in the 1NR?

Okay, thanks!

Author:  Evan [ Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:10 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Impacts in the 1NR?

As long as you're simply impacting an argument you already presented, I don't see why not. Just be ready for Aff to accuse you of making a new argument - have a defense at the ready. :)

Author:  Johnnyw256 [ Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:57 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Impacts in the 1NR?

I mean, technically there's no official *rule* against presenting new arguments in the rebuttals. Obviously it's bad form and generally rude, but it's not against the rules. And honestly, I think of the negative block as the negative block - if a team chooses to respond to the 2AC in the 2NC and present new arguments in the 1NR, I'm not gonna get upset and call them out for bringing up new arguments. The 1NR is *basically* a constructive because it's part of the negative block.

As for impacts, they're just extensions of an argument. I don't think there's any reason you shouldn't bring up impacts in rebuttals.

Author:  Cyberknight [ Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:40 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Impacts in the 1NR?

Be careful though, this can easily be abused. Don't bring up some really super general link in the 2NC and then bring up a ton of "impacts" to it that basically might as well be DAs themselves. I've faced teams that sorta did that, and it was very irritating. So just be careful. :P

Author:  Hammy [ Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Impacts in the 1NR?

Johnnyw256 wrote:
The 1NR is *basically* a constructive because it's part of the negative block.

With the distinguishing factor that it has no cross examination following.

Author:  sons_of_thunder [ Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:08 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Impacts in the 1NR?

Hammy wrote:
Johnnyw256 wrote:
The 1NR is *basically* a constructive because it's part of the negative block.

With the distinguishing factor that it has no cross examination following.


Very, very good point.

Author:  _TakenUsername_ [ Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:45 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Impacts in the 1NR?

sons_of_thunder wrote:
If you introduced the disadvantage in the 2NC, is it okay to present the impact (or extend the disadvantage by adding additional causes, additional impacts, etc.) in the second part of the block, the 1NR? In other words, if you introduced the general argument, can you expand on it?


I used to do 1NRs that were nothing but impacts of the 2NC. My partner would respond to the 2AC and bring up maybe one or two new arguments in the 2NC (we always favored shell and extend), and I would spend the entire 1NR impacting both his responses and the original arguments.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC+01:00
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited
https://www.phpbb.com/