homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 8:46 am
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:32 am 

Home Schooled: Yes
I've been struggling to find a way to make a judge care about this. Not just care as in, they known it's wrong. But really care as in, they are scared of this happening.

A good example is Voter ID. How could I run the disenfranchisement point in such a way that judges legitimately are scared of enacting the plan?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:20 pm 
The Great White Sharc

Give them a narrative about how this actually looks like to a poor person. The average republican judge sees voter ID and thinks about illegal immigrants, but you need to talk about the poor and elderly. Someone who has been poor their whole life doesn't necessarily have a photo ID because they don't have a car. Furthermore, it's really expensive to buy an ID. $100 can be food for a month or two for someone really desperate. If they have to work two jobs, then they don't have the time to even get to the DMV because their hours are really limited.

Paint the narrative instead of speaking only in abstract terms.

I currently help coach at TACT in Region X.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:51 pm 

013 wrote:
Give them a narrative about how this actually looks like to a poor person. The average republican judge sees voter ID and thinks about illegal immigrants, but you need to talk about the poor and elderly. Someone who has been poor their whole life doesn't necessarily have a photo ID because they don't have a car. Furthermore, it's really expensive to buy an ID. $100 can be food for a month or two for someone really desperate. If they have to work two jobs, then they don't have the time to even get to the DMV because their hours are really limited.

Paint the narrative instead of speaking only in abstract terms.

That is a pretty good idea and I will probably do it. However, I also mean how can I impact it to their lives? Or their country? If they don't care too much about that poor person, then it won't really do much in terms of getting them to vote on the point.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:44 pm 
Get off my lawn, young'ins!

That's a complicated question, but it basically boils down to how to evoke empathy. "Imagine you were in this scenario - would you feel this was just?"

COG 2016 generics-only sourcebook - NCFCA/Stoa (thread)
Factsmith research software - v1.4 currently available (thread)
Loose Nukes debate blog - stuff to read with your eyes.