homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:39 am
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Openers in the 1AR
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 2:48 am 

Home Schooled: Yes
With five minutes to respond to 13 minutes of Negative speech time, are openers in the 1AR counterproductive?

I know some of my rushing through the 1AR came from having too much content that I just had to cover. But does eliminating openers help or harm the 1AR?

Barndt/Barndt | TACT, R10 | 2012-13
Barndt/Barndt | TACT, R10 | 2013-14
Barndt/Barndt | TACT, R10 | 2014-15
Barndt/Blacklock | Arete, R10 | 2015-16
Barndt/Cuddeback | 2016-17

JohnMarkPorter1 wrote:
I'm inclined to think like Andrew does.

Post subject: Re: Openers in the 1AR
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 3:23 am 

It's all about having a solid and persuasive speech. The question you have to ask yourself then becomes: does an opening quotation help me give a better speech?

I would assume that the best option would be to use an introductory quotation which ties into your first point or directly refutes the opponents theme for the round. Either way it should be short and snappy (2 lines?) so as to not waste time.

I have given the 2A for years, so this isn't fresh :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:15 pm 

At least this is true: "I have only 5 minutes to address 13 minutes of argumentation, so [I'm going to go fast/don't have an opener]" is the absolute worst opener on the planet.

It's the same debate format that literally millions of 1ARs have used for decades. You can cope. No excuses.

With that said, you SHOULD have an opener because you have enough strategic clarity to have identified the CRUX of the round by that point and can slowly, if not enjoyably, outweigh. My most successful teams (like McPeak/Shipsey, when they won nationals in 2010) learned to give 1ARs on the simple 2-3 voters that were planned from the very 1AC.

Despite many small truths of neg, that certain big truths are still true and the weighing mechanism points towards a certain goal or criterion, use the big truths to show the judge how its still the right decision. Switch from answering every DA directly to addressing negative arguments in the context of your big points, like: "America First" and "Lives Saved".

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:30 pm 

Home Schooled: No
One of the few things I like about BP/World's Style is the idea of the team line. Each of the four teams in a BP round comes up with a line, a single sentence that summarizes their position on the topic. A good way to think of the opening for the 1AR is the team line; if you condense why you're ahead on the merits, or why you're ahead strategically, into a single sentence, and you open with that, then that's something the 2AR can put to powerful use. Sometimes the person who gives the 1AR is good at coming up with it, since that's the partner who likely is good at putting the most substance possible into the fewest words, and sometimes the 2A has more of a knack for it, and can write it, neatly, in large letters, while the 1AR is prepping other things. But it's good to have a team line.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 4:31 am 
Get off my lawn, young'ins!

I once started a 1AR by staring at the judge for a second and then saying: "M'kay. Let's go." :P

The key point, as others have said, is for your opener to be concise and useful. If it's not concise, make it concise. If it's not useful, get something useful, or just forego the opener altogether and dive right in. Don't just read a quote for the sake of reading a quote; say something clear and simple that summarizes the Affirmative position.

An underemphasized point: long roadmaps in the 1AR are poison. One sentence is all you should need - any more, and you're just wasting time giving information you'll be giving again later. You probably don't even need to explain your major clumps and dumps - those will all come up later.

COG 2016 generics-only sourcebook - NCFCA/Stoa (thread)
Factsmith research software - v1.5 currently available (thread)
Loose Nukes debate blog - stuff to read with your eyes.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:00 am 

I thought I had a great opener, but it was the time right after the opener was where I had problems.

I would start my speech by reading a quote from this article.
Former U.N. Ambassador John Bolton is calling for the United States to end funding for the anti-poverty U.N. Development Program, which he described as nothing more than a "wealth transfer operation" used to prop up governments.

Then I'd say how we had someone credible who knew the UN and he wants our plan. Then give a "short" roadmap and say, "In this First Affirmative Rebuttal, I'm going to go over the last two Negative speeches and show why you should still vote Affirmative."

After all this was done, I'd used about 30 seconds (and I was going really fast), which I thought was too much. What is too much?

As I said before, I had way too much content on my flow that I wanted to get to, mostly because I refused to drop anything that I had a response to. I gotta control that.

Barndt/Barndt | TACT, R10 | 2012-13
Barndt/Barndt | TACT, R10 | 2013-14
Barndt/Barndt | TACT, R10 | 2014-15
Barndt/Blacklock | Arete, R10 | 2015-16
Barndt/Cuddeback | 2016-17

JohnMarkPorter1 wrote:
I'm inclined to think like Andrew does.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:54 am 

Unrelated note: I don't think anybody at the UN takes Bolton seriously. He was so conservative and unwilling to negotiate or compromise that one ambassador remarked that "John Bolton was very much a unifying force. He managed to unify everyone against him." :P

On-topic: The appropriate size of an opener, IMO, will depend on what your philosophy is for the 1AR, and what arguments have been run in the particular round. If the negative team doesn't have many points and/or you are good at clumping and dumping to the point that you can condense everything to a few voters, then you can afford to spend more time on an opener. If neg ran a lot of arguments and/or you refute things line-by-line, you can't afford to spend much (if any) time on an opener. I'm pretty inexperienced at the 1AR, but I generally make that determination in the round, after I've considered my responses to the negative block. Usually all I do is a 10-second roadmap (i.e. "I'm going to cover inherency, then solvency, and lastly DAs") because I have a tendency to go line-by-line too much. But if I'm confident that I can cover all the arguments in 4 minutes, I spend more time on an opener and/or closer.

2010-11 | Freshman | Bardsley/King | IX | 13th at Regionals
2011-12 | Sophomore | Dovel/King | IX | Q'd to Nationals
2012-13 | Junior | Dovel/King | IX | 17th at Nationals
2013-14 | Senior | Dovel/King | IX | 5th at Nationals

Baylor University class of 2018