homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:16 am
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:59 pm 

Home Schooled: Yes
One more thing. Don't forget to pray before the round. While it isn't going to improve your speaking, it will get you into the right attitude. Last year, my partner and I went 3-3 at two qualifiers, so we never broke. Later, I realized that our attitude was almost completely wrong. We had forgotten the real reason why we were debating. This year at the Alabama Open, we prayed before every round with the other team, and we broke, but that wasn't the best part. We got knocked out in double octas and we found that we didn't care all that much. :) You'd be surprised what a quick thirty second prayer before the round can do to help the attitude.

So if you are praying before every round, good for you! :) If you don't, then I would urge you to consider starting. :) Today, you always hear about some people in the NCFCA who are really mean speakers, they didn't have these problems four or five years ago. Back in India and Environment year, everyone prayed before each round, and there weren't as many problems with mean speakers back then. (at least that I can remember) :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:38 pm 
The Great White Sharc

Quote:
Also, about judging philosophies: Give each judge at least one argument they'd love. Alumni judge who likes impact? Give him a good impact, and lots of eye contact while saying "his" argument. Parent judge who wants you to "debate politely and ethically"? Point out their out of context evidence and smile a lot while looking at that judge. Community judge who has no clue but is a computer guy?

Make a computer analogy while giving him eye contact.

Actually, it's better to not spread yourself thin, but go for a unified strategy that at least 2 of the judges would like. You only need 2 to win, so up your chances of getting both of those ballots instead of having a small chance of getting all 3. I did this one round where there were 2 alum and one parent. We went straight impacts and spoke quickly. We ended up getting the sweep, but the parent recognized that we were clearly catering to the majority. (I found her afterward and explained. She understood)

I currently help coach at TACT in Region X.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:32 pm 

Hammy wrote:
Today, you always hear about some people in the NCFCA who are really mean speakers, they didn't have these problems four or five years ago. Back in India and Environment year, everyone prayed before each round, and there weren't as many problems with mean speakers back then. (at least that I can remember) :)

Not true, at least in my experience. I debated those years and there were definitely people who were considered "mean" [read: more aggressive than the observer liked to see]. And pre-round prayer was most certainly not universal.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:28 am 

Flash of light wrote:
Hammy wrote:
Today, you always hear about some people in the NCFCA who are really mean speakers, they didn't have these problems four or five years ago. Back in India and Environment year, everyone prayed before each round, and there weren't as many problems with mean speakers back then. (at least that I can remember) :)

Not true, at least in my experience. I debated those years and there were definitely people who were considered "mean" [read: more aggressive than the observer liked to see]. And pre-round prayer was most certainly not universal.

Must have been Region 8 then. :D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:37 am 

Hammy wrote:
Don't forget to pray before the round.

This, all the way. What my coach and my club hammered into my head over the last two years is, we are not here to glorify ourselves or to win competition. We are here to glorify God and pursue excellence... and oddly enough, in my experience, pursuing the latter two often results in better competition. Possibly because I don't come off as full of myself when I'm debating that way. :P

We once had a judge in outrounds who was a youth pastor. After we stepped back in from praying and asked for judging philosophies, he asked, "Aren't we going to pray first?" Though the mom judge explained that that was what we had stepped out to do, he took the opportunity to pray with us anyway. I can't tell you how special that was-- how it set the tone for the whole round, above and beyond the prayer the competitors had shared beforehand. :)
//coolstory

Join Speech and Debate USA
[Avatar photo credit]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:39 pm 

Location: If the little thingy say I'm online, then I am probably on my computer; if not, who knows? :-)
Hey, Istra!

When it comes down do it, really the only technical difference between a prelim and an outround is more judges, more audience members, and sometimes a bigger room. The rest of the round functions the same.

Because of that, the biggest change you have to make is to take control of the room with your presence. I know this sounds trivial, but having watched, judged, and debated tons of outrounds, I am convinced it is key. Interestingly enough, taking control of the room does not mean being more aggressive or determined to win. Instead, it means projecting more vocally, using humor and wit, using bigger hand motions, and smiling when appropriate. A joke or witty comeback in CX can immediately establish that you are completely comfortable debating in the round and that everyone should pay attention to you.

Example: NCFCA national policy final in 2011. There were four guys in finals, and the round was pretty dry. The negative team was arguing some good arguments, but was very serious in their approach. The aff team had a little more energy from the beginning, but still, no one had really taken control of the room. Then the 1N got up to CX the 2A and intensely asked him what these certain Russian scientists were using their personal pay for, and the 2A threw back this great response that was something along the lines of "That would be up to them...I suppose they could buy some of those little Russian dolls if they wanted." It was no big deal, but everyone in the auditorium laughed, and immediately we all felt more engaged with the aff team then we did with the neg. Aff won the round, largely on argumentation, but also clearly on their ability to gain control of the room.

Kara and I had something similar happen in our national policy final in 2012. When one of the aff speakers CXed Kara after her 1N, she gave a very funny response (albeit, somewhat unintentionally...) that caused the whole auditorium to laugh. You could feel that the control of the room had shifted toward us.

I have never seen you speak, but I am going to guess that maybe you are not the most assertive speaker? Being a girl, I can understand that being assertive in a round can be difficult, especially vocally. However, especially if you are getting comments about not smiling, taking control of the room is probably where you need to start. The lectern is your friend. Make it your happy zone! Pretend you are William Wilberforce or something... :)

SMILING works in every round. Happy smiles, regretful smiles, sympathetic smiles, jubilant smiles: all of them work great.

By the way, you can practice all this in prelims--never hurts.

Rebecca

Buy Ethos Sourcebook. Unmatched quality, ethics, and quantity. http://www.ethosdebate.com/

Go to an Ethos Camp this summer--one of the best investments for your debate career.

Praise the Lord, O my soul!