homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:28 pm
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:46 pm 

Home Schooled: Yes
I'm writing my topicality presses for this season and I can't find anything in our (albeit small) library of theory books that lists reasons to prefer for use in a topicality press. I know we learned about it in one of our club meetings but I can't find my notes for that meeting either (arrgh). Anybody have a list?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:24 am 
Doesn't have a title.

Maybe you could post examples of interpretations and we could discuss them and come up with reasons to prefer them.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:33 am 

Okay...

1) Affirmative should debate Laws dealing with Federal Elections
2) Affirmative should debate Federal Laws dealing with Elections

...those two, for a start.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:49 am 
Get off my lawn, young'ins!

Masked Midnight wrote:
Halogen wrote:
"Without a resolution, affirmative can make arbitrary arguments but the only arguments useful to negative are those that contradict affirmative's arguments. To limit negative, but not affirmative, is imbalanced. If you vote negative on topicality, then the only arguments useful to affirmative are those that negative has a reason beforehand to prepare to contradict. To limit affirmative and negative by the same resolution is balanced. Balance is better than imbalance because debate is, by purpose, an opportunity to compete via educated counterarguments on both sides."
Here's a solid RTP T that Jordan posted earlier. :)
That's an impact to topicality in general, not a reason to prefer a specific interpretation over other interpretations. Which are you looking for, Jonathan?

Most RTPs are really just variations of "Interpretation X allows XYZ ridiculous thing, so prefer Interpretation Y, which doesn't." For example, Russia year, I wrote a t-press that used the brightline of "Russia Must Exist": "if Russia were to vanish from the face of the globe, and you could still implement the plan, then it's not policy towards Russia." The main RTP was that, in the absence of this interpretation, all sorts of crazy things were acceptable. You could nuke China with the intent of influencing Russia's foreign policy, and that was arguably topical. Since that's absurd, the argument went, we should prefer the Russia-must-exist interpretation/brightline.

A converse example might be the guys Environment year arguing that only reforms to NEPA (the National Environmental Policy Act) were topical; we attacked this on similar grounds (it created absurdities), only the absurdity it created was that obviously-environmental things like pollution regulations weren't topical.

You can also have other self-contained RTPs, like "grammatical accuracy". The grammar of the resolution has been discussed in other threads, if you're interested in that. COG has in-depth grammar defenses of both interpretations you listed.

(Also: Hi! I know you! :) )

COG 2016 generics-only sourcebook - NCFCA/Stoa (thread)
Factsmith research software - v1.5 currently available (thread)
Loose Nukes debate blog - stuff to read with your eyes.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:03 pm 

mountain dude wrote:
Okay...

1) Affirmative should debate Laws dealing with Federal Elections
2) Affirmative should debate Federal Laws dealing with Elections

...those two, for a start.
I think that there are arguments either way, But I side with #2. However, no mater what it is, you should be prepared to defend your case against both definitions unless you have a very strong argument for why it is one instead of the other. Or just pick a case that fits under both so it doesn't matter which one it is (like I did :) )