homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:53 pm
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:10 pm 

Home Schooled: No
So I'm to the point where I think this is actually a really good exercise, putting your reasons into words and taking them in-depth, coming up with concrete examples and seeing how various digressions play out. This is all good scut-work for the debates that may actually happen down the road.

The primary reason I'm still not swayed is that I've seen the track record of the issue as hashed out by equally smart, equally determined debaters on both sides, and plan-focus always seems to win. I've known very smart debaters, judges and coaches who found resolution-focus more persuasive, but they've always been a tiny minority. When it was strategic for my debaters to execute a strategy that depended on resolution-focus, it was helpful to know that set of arguments through several layers of rejoinder. But when we had the choice, we never chose that side of the controversy, because its track record just wasn't very good.

That's not meant to persuade anybody; it's just meant to caution you. It's based on my observation, not my reasoning.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:23 pm 
Ok, maybe not the ONLY homeschooler.

Home Schooled: Yes
Yeah that is pretty accurate-- too bad though. I think it's because topical CPs have come to be accepted by most debaters, who in turn teach their students that they're acceptable. As a result, much of the judging pool (as well as the majority of debaters) have plancentrist presuppositions. And one debate round isn't enough for an aff to sufficiently overcome all of the presuppositions of a plancentrist (or rezcentrist, for that matter). So it's really difficult to win when arguing from a rezcentrist perspective unless the majority of judges are rezcentrists (which isn't common).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:45 pm 

Home Schooled: Yes
Location: I can't think of anything witty right now...so...RIX
thehomeschooler wrote:
So it's really difficult to win when arguing from a rezcentrist perspective unless the majority of judges are rezcentrists (which isn't common).

Except in...the NCFCA parent pool. :D

08-09 | Thomas/Young | Broke to Regionals
09-10 | Brake/Thomas | Broke to Nats
10-11 | Black/Thomas | Won Regionals, 7th at Nats
11-12 | Comfort/Thomas | Won 2 Qualifiers, Won Regionals
12-13 | LD Debater | 3rd overall in RIX, 7th at Nats