homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:56 am
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Policy vs System
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:57 pm 

Home Schooled: Yes
I'm not completely sure if this is where I should ask this, so sorry in advance if I'm wrong.

I was wondering if it mattered that the NCFCA res says "system" instead of "policy". In previous years, we've always had to pass some law in order to make an official policy change, but it seems like you wouldn't necessarily have to do that this year. For instance, what if you stopped enforcement of marijuana laws without any legislation? That would be a reform to the criminal justice system, but our policy would still be that "drugs are bad!", and our laws would reflect that. Idk, just a thought. What do you guys think?

Barton/Byrd- 2012/2013

Braydon Byrd R7

Post subject: Re: Policy vs System
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:44 pm 

bigbyrdbrain wrote:
what if you stopped enforcement of marijuana laws without any legislation? That would be a reform to the criminal justice system

...this is interesting. You could try it; look up some definitions for "system"; also look up "network" and "bureaucracy".

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:13 pm 
Get off my lawn, young'ins!

This is legit, IMHO - internal bureaucratic changes are fair game. (Arguably, this isn't unique to this resolution - for example, the Executive branch does plenty of things that could be considered the USFG's policies, but can be changed without Congressional intervention.)

There's lots of advocacy for ending drug enforcent without legalization, BTW.

COG 2016 generics-only sourcebook - NCFCA/Stoa (thread)
Factsmith research software - v1.5 currently available (thread)
Loose Nukes debate blog - stuff to read with your eyes.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:34 pm 

This is interesting.

This year, I've seen some T-presses (in the NCFCA UN resolution) that rely on the fact that the Aff. is changing a UN policy rather than the UN system. There's actually a case to reverse UN Rights of the Child (I'm not all that familiar with the case; I just saw it on the caselist and went WHAA?!) and I'd run that the Aff. was reforming a UN resolution (i.e policy) instead of the UN system.

I saw a Neg. team use this against Atwood/Wortham yesterday but my brain is not cooperating in helping me remember exactly HOW the Neg. ran this...although they won partially on this argument.

2013-2014 | Rose/Schvaneveldt | UADC | R8

Hammy wrote:
Like bacon on that sandwich, you can change me from its mediocre self into a vibrant living sandwich of ecstasy.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:14 am 

This press was somewhat simpler under last year's resolution, since "system" was explicitly stated.

This year, the press goes something like this:

Reforming the UN itself requires that we alter something about the organization as defined by [insert favorite source here]. If the resolution is that my car should be significantly reformed (or abolished), then upgrading the engine or converting my diesel truck into a hybrid :shock: would both uphold that resolution. But changing where my car is going wouldn't significantly reform the car.

In the same way, it would significantly reform the UN to implement weighted voting within the General Assembly. Reforming the Convention on the Rights of a Child alters a treaty that has already gone through the UN. A past action (which, btw, would have to be re-ratified by the nations in order to become law). So not only are we dealing with a policy of the UN which does not substantially affect its operations, we are dealing with something that's not even under its enforceable jurisdiction.

I think it would be more appropriate to say "policy v. organization' or 'policy v. operational reform'. The UN system includes various organizations which are affiliated with, but not under the direct authority of, the UN.

Join Speech and Debate USA
[Avatar photo credit]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:32 am 
Kenya debate as good as me?

@Emily -- Who ran that on Atwood/Wortham and survived?

SDG.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:51 pm 
Hint hint peoples.

IMHO, that seems to be a legit form of a topicality press for both last year's rez and this year's rez. Depending on how the press is run, "policy v. system T" (sounds like a court case) would probably be weighed heavier in the minds of judges than than the average significance T-press.

As the deer pants for the water brooks, so pants my soul for You, O God. -Psalm 42:1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:25 pm 

@Gold Water's Ghost: It was primarily Joseph Bulsa/Daniel Grubbs, although just in a Club round. There were other contributors to the round, as it was a drill in which our coach was randomly taking people from our Club and sticking them in the round. :)

2013-2014 | Rose/Schvaneveldt | UADC | R8

Hammy wrote:
Like bacon on that sandwich, you can change me from its mediocre self into a vibrant living sandwich of ecstasy.