homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:48 pm
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Power Matching
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:44 pm 

Home Schooled: No
Power Matching questions and concerns arise at least once or twice a year. This link restores access to the report on an analytical analysis of the effectiveness of power matching.

http://www.danielengel.com/information/powermatch/

Mr. Engel

Post subject: Re: Power Matching
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:20 pm 

Home Schooled: Yes
Thank you much! I'd been looking for that.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:19 am 

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:43 am 

Thank you for that information :0

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:27 pm 
She really is very sweet.

That is quite amazing, I knew what power matching was, but I had never had it laid out like that.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:10 pm 

Thanks for putting this back up it is really great to see statistical data to support the bias I have always had towards powermatching. Just a couple questions:

- With the advent of computer programs that powermatch in seconds (maybe a minute if you have to do any amount of manual manipulating) is there really any logistical or practical burden to powermatching

- Should anyone powermatch 3 rounds given that there would not be an even distribution of aff and neg in powermatched rounds

- When thinking about powermatching is there any merit in thinking about what is going on at the bottom of the bracket. In other words teams getting in matches where they are evenly matched and have a chance of winning as well as reducing the number of 0-6 teams to only a couple (maybe one or none)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:48 am 

I don't know the mathematical answers to those questions, but I just helped run a tournament last weekend (the NFL tournament UA runs every spring semester), and the practical answers are kind of fresh in my mind.

Quote:
- With the advent of computer programs that powermatch in seconds (maybe a minute if you have to do any amount of manual manipulating) is there really any logistical or practical burden to powermatching

Yes. It's not even numerical or anything--it's the simple fact that without power matching, you can literally have every round preset before the tournament even starts. If you're power matching, you have to have every ballot back before you can enter the data into the computer. So there's a logistical burden there.

Quote:
- Should anyone powermatch 3 rounds given that there would not be an even distribution of aff and neg in powermatched rounds

You can. If you have an odd number of prelims, you probably should (give everyone a random aff and neg). It's really more a normative question than anything else, I'd think.

Quote:
When thinking about powermatching is there any merit in thinking about what is going on at the bottom of the bracket. In other words teams getting in matches where they are evenly matched and have a chance of winning as well as reducing the number of 0-6 teams to only a couple (maybe one or none)

This is a normative question, not a mathematical question. As such, it's really up to you. This is why I don't like large schools, in that they tend to screw up the bracket by forcing pull-up rounds (3-1 vs. 4-0, for example) and things like that. But ideally, the same process at the top of the bracket should work at the bottom of the bracket, preventing both ridiculously easy wins and ridiculously harsh matches. This gives teams with decent talent but relatively little experience the best, most reasonable chance, IMO. It also means that you don't thoroughly discourage novices who take up the challenge of entering in the varsity division (always a good choice, IMO again).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:33 am 

True from a logistical standpoint you have to wait for ballots back. In the NCFCA though it's never really a big deal since most tourneys have speech rounds in between.

True norm in NCFCA is 6 rounds with even aff and neg so I thought 3 rounds of powermatching might feel a little funny.

Also very true about club protects in NCFCA big clubs make it harder to match and force a wider range of pulls, state .

Again if anyone wants to chat more about powermatching I enjoy chatting about the topic. For those who don't know I ran tab at the 2005 CO Open (I think maybe the only time it was not run by an NCFCA annointed "tab" person and everything went just fine ;) ).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:51 am 
The Great White Sharc

Quote:
True norm in NCFCA is 6 rounds with even aff and neg so I thought 3 rounds of powermatching might feel a little funny.

In california they usually do 4 rounds of powermatching (except for the CLASH tournament which has always been completely random). To resolve the time crunch, they sometimes lag it a round if there's no lunch, or speech in between.

I currently help coach at TACT in Region X.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:34 pm 

Coach Carter wrote:

Hmm... I know the typical rIV tourney is power-matched beginning with round 3 [hi-low in brackets]. I can't remember a time when it wasn't. :-P Somehow, they flip it in tab to keep the even split between aff and neg. so you may go aff three times in a row, but the other rounds will even it out. I think there are a handful of rare ocassions when they're unable to do that, but those are the exception rather than the rule.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:51 am 
She's not a *tame* flower.

Coach Carter wrote:

If you have a small tournament, yes. At the Utah qual with 24 policy teams, and 15 LDers, it took some work to figure everything out. We stayed really late Thursday night waiting for tab to be done getting the postings ready for round 5.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:28 am 

Quote:
At the Utah qual with 24 policy teams, and 15 LDers, it took some work to figure everything out.
There really is no need to do that. I powermatched the national open 100 + teams with a couple of clicks in less than a minute we were 95% done and only had a couple teams to move arounds manually (still on the computer) total time less than five minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:12 am 

Coach Carter: Did you use the open source power-matching software, or did you shell out money to buy one of the special tab program licenses?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:18 pm 

Since it was a national open I got them to fork over the $100 for JoT. I'm not sure how easy it is with the free thing but I would think it would just be a couple clicks as well.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 8:40 pm 

With large National Tournaments taking place I thought there might be a few who were not aware of this study and might find it interesting, so I am posting to kick it up on the list.

Mr. Engel