homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:15 pm
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:11 pm 

Home Schooled: Yes
I'm just wondering if someone can help me understand what's going on in Apolegetics. I jsut don't understand anything about the questions or anything. I looked at all this stuff(Apol Questions, Apol Rules, and the Student Ballot), and I just don't understand it. It's my first year in STOA(Paradigm), and I decided I wanted to do Apol, but I just don't understand it. I understand it's limited prep, and the very basics of limited prep, but that's all. Can someone help me?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:45 pm 

Hey SuperK1!

Welcome to HSD and the world of Speech and Debate! :)

Apologetics is generally understood as the defense of your faith, or the explanation of reasons for your faith. Since STOA is a homeschool league based on Christian worldviews (similar to NCFCA), Apologetics is a limited prep event where you will be asked questions about your faith, or confronted with a statement, and will give a speech in response.

Does that help at all? Do you have more questions? I'm sorry if I misunderstood what you were asking. :) I'd love to help as best I can.

Reagan Bass/Justin Moffatt '12-'16

Retired.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:48 pm 

Thanks!

It's not that you misunderstood my question, that's just all I understand about Apol is what I'm saying, and I'm wondering about everything else. :P

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:51 pm 

When you say everything else... what do you mean?

Are you asking how you'd prepare for the event? Are you asking what happens when you're in the competition room? Do you have specific questions about how certain things work?

Retired.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:58 pm 

Well, at the Paradigm group they said that there were 106 questions or something like that in Apol, and I looked at this, and I just don't understand anything about categories, or anything like that. That's the type of thing I'm talking about. Like, where would I find the questions on there, how would I go about preparing my cards, what is everything else on that document, and the other documents in my first post.

Thansk for taking the time to help me by the way! :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:25 pm 

In STOA Apologetics, there are 6 categories. Each of these categories has 3 different types of questions.

At a tournament, you will compete in 3 Apologetics rounds. Each round will have questions from 1 category. You will draw at random (probably through slips of paper) and receive several options for which question you want to answer. For example, you may receive 3 options from category 3. "What does the resurrection of the body mean? Why does this matter?", "Did a loving God create Hell?", and "Why am I here?"

NOTE: While in a round at a normal qualifying tournament, you will receive questions from the same CATEGORY. That does not mean they'll all be the same KIND of question. You may get 3 definition questions. Or maybe 2 general questions and 1 statement analysis question. But they'll all be from the same category.

For preparing cards, there are many different theories on how to bet prepare for Apologetics. I usually just take one card at a time, and take as much time as I need. For me, Apologetics is about learning what I believe and why, not winning tournaments. I actually am opposed to using Apologetics as a competition. :P But that's another story. Regardless, I'd encourage you to dig as deep as you can, focusing more on learning than anything. Take your time. Very few competitors ever have cards for all 106 questions.

Another popular method for preparation is preparing general cards. Some competitors will make cards with verses or verse references dealing with certain topics. Usually, this is a technique used by more advanced speakers who are more comfortable making impromptu speeches.

I'm not sure what you mean by "what is everything else on that document," because it seems to mostly just be the questions. The elements/principles part is about how they want you to conduct yourself (Honoring God, always being prepared, being gentle...)

As for the other two documents...

The rules are simply the rules of the event. Every event has them. It will have a lot of similarities with other events' rules. Are there any rules that you don't understand or don't understand why they're there?

As for the student ballot, that's the ballot that the judges will use to provide you with feedback. As you can see, there are boxes for them to check/x to signify if you did certain things (demonstrating why the topic matters, having a clear conclusion, having cards) as well as a place at the bottom where it will inform you of your place in the room according to that judge (1st place, 2nd place, 3rd place etc.) Below the placing, there's a blank space for feedback, so you can learn how to improve for the next tournament.

Hope that helps. :)

Retired.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:55 pm 

Thanks! I understand noooowwww!!!! I haven't seen any rules that I don't understand yet, but I'll tell you if I do. Thanks for the info! :D