homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:52 am
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:08 am 

Home Schooled: Yes
Well, I've got my first tournament in two weeks, and I have a grand total of 1 full speech written on cards (M&S of the Trinity). Besides that, I have a lot of cards with Bible verses that apply to specific topics (e.g. a set of cards with verses that apply to the fall of man), but that's really it. I signed up for apologetics so that I would force myself to get caught up on cards over Christmas break, but I ended up getting the flu right after Christmas, so that didn't happen. Annnywaays.....I was wondering what general topic cards y'all found to be most useful. Obviously there is no way I would be able to write 105 speech outlines in two weeks (and still be able to actually give a speech at the tournament XP), so I'm planning on writing as many generic cards that can be applied to different topics as I can. Since I will not be able to have a card for every general topic, I would love to hear what topics y'all have found to be most useful.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:42 am 

Home Schooled: Yes
A solid speech on one of the definitions related to sin (depravity, fall of man, or original sin) will cross apply to a lot of speeches, as well as the other two definitions. Same goes for justification, atonement, propitiation, redemption, and reconciliation; a good speech on one of those will go a long way. The meaning & significance of the deity of Christ is also really helpful.

In general, I'd recommend starting to build your box with definitions. Good speeches on the definitions help a lot when you're trying to put together a speech in round on general questions or statement analysis.
marinadelayne wrote:
I have a lot of cards with Bible verses that apply to specific topics (e.g. a set of cards with verses that apply to the fall of man), but that's really it.

That's a great start, and will help you a lot in rounds. I found it really helpful to have some verses and quotes organized by topic; I made sure I had some for each definition, and then as I found useful quotes and verses, I would add them to my cards. That way when I drew the topic, I had a starting place, even if I didn't have a whole outline prepared.