homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:27 pm
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Category 6
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:01 am 
Hint hint peoples.

Home Schooled: Yes
I've heard from a fairly credible source and rumors from the grapevine that Stoa might be planning on introducing a category 6 next year to Apologetics about Comparative Religions (comparing Christianity to the major tenets of several world religions).

Are these reports true? What do you think about the idea of introducing this new cateogry (in general and the comp. religions idea itself)? This thread can also be a discussion place for exchanging ideas if a category 6 is added or the Stoa Apologetics topics are indeed changed in one way or another.

As the deer pants for the water brooks, so pants my soul for You, O God. -Psalm 42:1

Post subject: Re: Category 6
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:03 pm 
Hint hint peoples.

Well, it's official: THE NEW TOPICS HAVE BEEN RELEASED

What do you guys think? From a quick glance-over, I personally like these new updated questions quite a bit.

As the deer pants for the water brooks, so pants my soul for You, O God. -Psalm 42:1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:19 pm 
Is now cool

I dislike General Question 1, and I feel like General Question 2 belongs in Category 4. But other than that these questions are awesome. I'd love to see an apol round with these topics.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:03 pm 

The questions focus really heavily on Islam, while other religions only have one or two questions each. I like the idea of the category, but the topics could be more evenly balanced with other religions.

Two observations:

I don't know that a whole separate topic for comparisons is really necessary. A lot of these questions could easily be addressed under statement analysis or general questions in other categories. For example, "compare and contrast Muhammad and Christ as messengers of God" and "compare and contrast the Biblical portrait of Jesus with the Islamic portrait of Jesus" fit under Category 5 and "compare and contrast the Hindu view of the nature of man with the Christian view of the nature of man" fits with Category 3. Even without questions specifically addressing comparisons with other religions, I usually compared an opposing view with Christianity in every speech… adding an entirely separate category seems a bit unnecessary.

One thing that I appreciate about Stoa & NCFCA's apol questions is that they focus on basic topics that are foundational to the Christian faith. There isn't going to be too much disagreement between Christians on most of them (notice the qualifiers, haha). Some of these questions seem to be straying into areas that are a little more open to interpretation. "How is Christian stewardship distinct from the environmentalist movement?" and "Is transcendental meditation a viable activity for Christians?" both struck me as being a little more controversial than your typical apol question.