homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:24 pm
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Good Apol Sources
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:17 pm 

Home Schooled: Yes
I have a few sources that I really like for apologetics, and thought I'd share. :)

Online:
http://www.thepoachedegg.net
*AMAZING quotes, videos and blog posts. <3

Published:
Know What You Believe - Paul Little
*covers practically ALL the basic apologetics questions. It actually answered most of my basic questions when I first became a Christian.
Know Why You Believe - Paul Little
*it's the sequel to the book I mentioned above. SO GOOD. <3
Mere Christianity- CS Lewis
*I have no words. :P This book IS AMAZING. It's written in a really conversational style and it answers some of the most basic and even some of the DEEPEST questions EVER. I know most of us have read this, but still. Your apol career needs this book.

Random thing that nobody is expecting:
Lecrae. I seriously quote this guy in rounds. Judges love it. You have to explain who he is and go into his background a little bit of course (and please...take out the "bro" and "man" and other rap slang that are prevalent in his lyrics :P), but it's worth it. ;)
SAMPLE: “If what’s true for you is true for you and what’s true for me is what’s true for me, what if my truth says yours’ is a lie? Is it still true?” –Lecrae

These are my fave apol sources. What are some of yours?

2013-2014 | Rose/Schvaneveldt | UADC | R8

Hammy wrote:
Like bacon on that sandwich, you can change me from its mediocre self into a vibrant living sandwich of ecstasy.

Post subject: Re: Good Apol Sources
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:21 am 

Oh my. There are so many sources, it's really hard to narrow down my favorites. But let's see here...

I don't have many online favorites. I'll google a question and read articles and watch youtube videos. They aren't credible sources, so I wouldn't quote them in speeches, but just googling the questions can bring up tons of different views on the subjects. :)

But, I have several favorite published sources, and I'll only post a few.

1. Basic Theology by Charles Ryrie
-Everyone always quotes Systematic Theology by Wayne Grudem, and while it's a great source for understanding topics, it's SO overused. This one is a great resource for quotes. It's much shorter than Grudem's book, and more concise. I quote him for almost every attribute of God. It's the best.

2. The Questions Christians Hope No One Will Ask by Mark Mittelberg
-This guy's son competed in Apol. in stoa, and I'm pretty sure he competed in NCFCA. Either way, he answers several of our lquestions as if he was giving an apologetics speech through his book. It's so helpful, and really interesting. I read through it in a day because I couldn't stop reading. <3

3. Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
-I'll echo Emily on this one. It's an awesome book. I love it so much. But then again, I love everything he writes. :D

You are officially awesome for quoting Lecrae, btw. Because well, he's awesome. -seen him in concert and got to meet him- I have definitely quoted him, too. And giving his story is really impactful. I think giving C.S. Lewis' background is good for quoting him, too. Everyone knows who he is, but not everyone knows that he was a professing atheist for a while. And he's got some good quotes about his backgroud there, too.

Post subject: Re: Good Apol Sources
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:08 am 

The Reason for God by Timothy Keller
I love this book so much… it (or other books by Timothy Keller) makes it into most of my apol speeches. It's especially good for the general questions & statement analysis. It directly addresses questions like "Why would a loving God create Hell?", the exclusivity of Christianity, and why bad things happen to good people. There's a lot of material that's useful for other questions too, and I just really like Keller's style of writing and referring to other material. He also addresses common questions in a very contemporary (but still orthodox) way.

The Universe Next Door by James Sire
This book surveys the major worldviews, starting with theism (specifically Christianity) and working through deism, naturalism, nihilism, existentialism, eastern religion, and New Age. It does a great job explaining the basics of each worldview and analyzing their implications.

Frances Schaeffer Trilogy (made of The God Who Is There, He Is There and He Is Not Silent, and Escape From Reason
Also really good for understanding & analyzing other world views and seeing how they tie in to philosophy, literature, and art. It shows how Christianity is the only logical worldview, and where other belief systems break down. These might be best if you know a little bit about philosophy beforehand, or if you've read How Should We Then Live already.

Lee Strobel's The Case for Christ and The Case for the Real Jesus were helpful for category 2 and 5. They present good information in an accessible way, and if nothing else, give you other authors to look into.

And ditto C.S. Lewis, of course. :P The Great Divorce and "The Weight of Glory" have helped me in apol too.