homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 6:59 am
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: thesis statement
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:02 pm 

Home Schooled: Yes
I was wondering what people did for thesis statements in apologetics. I usually give an overview of the speech and then go straight into the speech. However, I get tons of ballot comments saying I need a thesis statement. So what exactly should a thesis for apol look like?

Post subject: Re: thesis statement
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:07 pm 

If you do, or have seen an extemp speech, you will notice that everyone answers their question before going into their speech (it is a requirement). Thesis statements are basically the same thing. You present your topic, then you quickly tell the judge in one to two sentences what the resolution of your speech will be. In other words you want to tell them what you want them to get out of this speech.

Miu/Tahtinen|Rainmakers|2012-2013

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:55 am 

Usually I'll give my intro, and then state the topic I am speaking on and go into my thesis statement before giving an overview of my speech. The thesis statement is basically the answer to the question or the significance of the answer. Your thesis statement should come up in different forms at different times and be the main message or point of the speech.

For example:

For the card, Define and Defend the Righteousness of God, I would state my thesis by saying: "God's righteousness creates a wall between the Lord and sinners that can only be broken down through Christ"

After I state my thesis, I go into the road map of what I'm going to speak on. Also, I use several transitional phrases such as "What I hope I clearly convey to you in this speech is..." or "I hope the message you take home from this speech today is..." to go into my thesis. And always make sure to mention it in the speech several times and word it differently each time.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:00 am 
Hint hint peoples.

The thesis statement is an absolutely critical aspect of any well-structured speech. The thesis should be one stand-alone sentence which tells the audience your main line of logic, your argument, what you are going to talk about, etc - it cannot rely on any previous sentences. Think of it this way: you are on an elevator with a person who is interested in your perspective, but you only have 15 seconds to convince him of your position, since the elevator will be at the top and both of you will have to leave. So, the thesis statement is kind of like your "elevator speech."

For Apologetics in particular, having a good thesis reinforces your structure and tells the judge where you are going, but not in the exact same way as a "roadmap," where you give your two or three point outline before you dive in to your speech. I particularly agree with what Maggie said earlier:

MaggieSonshine wrote:
The thesis statement is basically the answer to the question or the significance of the answer. Your thesis statement should come up in different forms at different times and be the main message or point of the speech.

For example:

For the card, Define and Defend the Righteousness of God, I would state my thesis by saying: "God's righteousness creates a wall between the Lord and sinners that can only be broken down through Christ"

Alluding to the thesis throughout your speech is important. If you say something in your thesis, it better be discussed in your speech. Likewise, if you say something in your speech, it better be incorporated into your thesis. Otherwise, there is a disconnect between the thesis and your speech. Writing coherent theses is challenging at first, but once you get the hang of it writing a thesis will become second nature to you and will be very helpful in many areas of life, not just in Stoa competition. :) Hope that helps, Rachael! :)

As the deer pants for the water brooks, so pants my soul for You, O God. -Psalm 42:1

Truth is treason in an empire of lies...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:27 am 

Thank you for your responses. I do know what a thesis is and its importance quite well, but coming up with an actual thesis that sums up my whole speech in four minutes is my problem. Whenever I do have a thesis, I don't want to give away my speech so I end up with a kind of generalized statement, and the judges don't recognize it's my thesis. So then is the only solution having to give away your speech in the thesis?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:45 am 

It should look much like a thesis for an essay: explain what your conclusion is and why in a nutshell. However, unlike essays, it must be extremely short and understandable. So, as with C4SA1 (NCFCA):

"This is not true. It is based on the idea that there is no absolute truth: but that is a flawed principle. Understanding that, what you believe affects your understanding of issues in the world and, consequently, whether the actions you take have any beneficial consequence. And as far as eternity is concerned, who or what you place your faith in determines whether you will end up in heaven or in hell- something that most certainly matters!"

Or something like that. :P

Join Speech and Debate USA
[Avatar photo credit]