homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:11 am
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:33 pm 
Cut off all contact. NOW.

Home Schooled: Yes
Dear Apol'ers,

I've always seen other people doing Apol with boxes for their cards. If you look at the rules, it doesn't ban other means of organization... would a binder with folders be illegal? I'm guessing yes, but I thought that I'd put a feeler out there and see what ya'll think.

On the note of organization though, how do you organize your cards in your box? I've been doing by category, but some people organize alphabetically, some organize by which cards can be cross-applied, etc. What works best for you?

Thanks, ever so much!

-Chrissy

I Support The Right To Arm Bears.
Okay, fine, we won't eat Pizza in Paris.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:37 pm 
titles are too mainstream.

coralcrocs wrote:
I've always seen other people doing Apol with boxes for their cards. If you look at the rules, it doesn't ban other means of organization... would a binder with folders be illegal? I'm guessing yes, but I thought that I'd put a feeler out there and see what ya'll think.

that's something you'd have to ask your state rep i think.

coralcrocs wrote:
how do you organize your cards in your box?

by category.

coralcrocs wrote:
What works best for you?

something other than organizing by category, probably.

David Roth wrote:
you make my life hell.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:25 pm 
Get off my lawn, young'ins!

(For reference: I won the 2011 Houston National Open in apologetics. Somehow. :? )

From what I heard in Texas, the official policy when I was competing was boxes-only. I believe the rules then stated that the only things you were allowed to use during prep were (specifically) a box of 4x6 cards and a Bible. The NCFCA rules currently state:
Quote:
During prep time speakers may use only Bibles and previously prepared 4x6 cards from their file box(s), and may write notes on additional 4x6 cards. No outside sources may be brought into the room other than a Bible, previously prepared 4x6 cards, and blank 4x6 cards.
The wording has been modified somewhat, but it still seems to imply that a file box is the official means of transporting your cards. It's probably the best one, anyway, so you might as well be safe and use a box.

I went the "hard" route and actually had a separate set of file cards with an outline and verses for each topic (usually 3-6 cards per topic.) I organized my box by the order in the official topics document, with dividers for the five categories and then subdividers for the three question types. Each set of cards was held together with a paperclip.

This meant the procedure after drawing my topic was: first, determine the category. (This isn't too hard if you have a good feel for the categories.) Flip to that section. Second, determine the question type. (This is easy - each of the three types of question is phrased differently, so you just look for whether it says "explain the meaning and significance of", etc.) Flip to that subsection. Then flip through the card sets until you find the one you're looking for and pull it out. With a little practice this all takes less than ten seconds.

There were a couple of "special" things I did:

1 - I made an index card on which I marked how much I liked each of my card sets. I'd review this before each round to refresh my memory so I could draw a good topic.
2 - Each card set was marked in the upper-right-hand corner with an organization code, to help me refile it quickly. For example, Category 1 General Question 3 would be 1:GQ3. (Credit for this idea goes to the Stand Firm apologetics club in Nebraska, BTW.) This was invaluable if my box accidentally fell over, etc.

This system worked great when I had all (or almost all) of the cards, although it wouldn't help much if you're splicing a lot from generics. Anyway, it worked for me.

COG 2016 generics-only sourcebook - NCFCA/Stoa (thread)
Factsmith research software - v1.5 currently available (thread)
Loose Nukes debate blog - stuff to read with your eyes.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:46 pm 
THE Cookie Monster!

MSD wrote:
This meant the procedure after drawing my topic was: first, determine the category. (This isn't too hard if you have a good feel for the categories.) Flip to that section. Second, determine the question type. (This is easy - each of the three types of question is phrased differently, so you just look for whether it says "explain the meaning and significance of", etc.) Flip to that subsection. Then flip through the card sets until you find the one you're looking for and pull it out. With a little practice this all takes less than ten seconds.
I'm sure this works well for some, but I personally have a table of contents at the front of my box. I usually can figure out the category pretty quickly (I just sometimes have trouble if it's three or four), and the question type is always easy enough. I use the TOC to help me figure out where in that section the cards will be. Then again, I don't paperclip mine, and it would be easier to flip that way.

Bakke/Bakke | TP <3 | 10-11
Bakke/Van Ness | TP <3 | 11-13
Sad Brenna | LD ew | 13-14
PHC Student | wow such college deb8 | 14&beyond

You're not alone.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:27 pm 
Chrissy's Secret Agent

I organize my cards by category then sub-category. :) I have a table of contents in the front of my box, that looked like this:

(note, I haven't updated it yet for the new questions, and I think all the statement analysis beginnings ["evaluate" vs "analyze" and "TO THE statement" vs "to the FOLLOWING statement"] are the same now. :) )

clicky
Definitions:
"Meaning and Significance of ________."

Atonement – Cat 4, Def 2
Biblical canon – Cat 2, Def 4
Deity of Christ – Cat 5, Def 1
Depravity of man – Cat 3, Def 2
Divine inspiration – Cat 2, Def 3
Eternality – Cat 1, Def 7
Grace –Cat 1, Def 15
Higher criticism and lower criticism – Cat 2, Def 5
Holiness, – Cat 1, Def 10
Image of God – Cat 3, Def 1
Immanence – Cat 1, Def 6
Immutability – Cat 1, Def 8
Incarnation – Cat 5, Def 3
Inerrancy - Cat 2, Def 1
Infinite nature of God – Cat 1, Def 9
Jesus’ claim: “the Son of God” – Cat 5, Def 5
Jesus’ claim: “the Son of Man” – Cat 5, Def 4
Justice – Cat 1, Def 12
Justification – Cat 4, Def 1
Lamb of God, Jesus is – Cat 5, Def 9
Mediator, Jesus is – Cat 5, Def 6
Mercy – Cat 1, Def 14
Messiah, Jesus is – Cat 5, Def 7
Omnipotence – Cat 1, Def 3
Omnipresence – Cat 1, Def 4
Omniscience – Cat 1, Def 2
Original sin – Cat 3, Def 3
Propitiation Cat 4, Def 3
Redemption – Cat 4, Def 3
Regeneration – Cat 3, Def 7
Repentance – Cat 3, Def 6
Righteousness –Cat 1, Def 11
Sanctification – Cat 3, Def 5
Sin nature – Cat 3, Def 4
Sovereignty – Cat 1, Def 13
Transcendence – Cat 1, Def 5
Trinity - Cat 1, Def 1.
Verbal, plenary inspiration of Scripture – Cat 2, Def 2
Virgin birth – Cat 5, Def 2
Word of God, Jesus is – Cat 5, Def 8

General Questions:

Category 1
1. In what ways has God revealed Himself to man?
2. If God is real, why can’t people see or touch Him?
3. If God is holy, why did He allow sin in the world?
4. How can God be both merciful and just?
5. How can God be one and yet three (unity versus trinity)?
6. Open theology states that God is constantly changing and growing with His creation. Respond to this Biblically.
7. Open theology states that God is constantly growing and changing with His creation. Respond to this logically and pragmatically.
8. Why is the unchanging nature of God critical to who He is?

Category 2
1. Jesus clearly demonstrated His belief in the authority of Scriptures. Defend this statement with evidence.
2. If the Bible was written by men, how could it also be written by God?
3. How did the church decide what should be included in the canon of Scripture?
4. How can the Bible be trustworthy when it has been translated so many times?
5. What is the foundation for accurate Bible translation?
6. Provide evidence for the historical accuracy of the Bible.

Category 3
1. Do all men have a longing for God?
2. Do all men have a conscience?
3. If God is invisible, (1 Timothy 1:17) how can man be made in the image of God?
4. If man is inherently sinful, why do most men lead relatively good lives?
5. What is the purpose of man?
6. What is the destiny of man?
7. Why would a loving God create hell?
8. What is the essential duty of man?
9. What is meant by the "fall of man"?

Category 4
1. How can a man know God?
2. Can a man become right with God by keeping the Ten Commandments?
3. Isn't it narrow minded to believe there is only one way to heaven?
4. Why does man need salvation?

Category 5
1. Why is the resurrection essential to the Christian faith?
2. If God is infinite, how could He limit Himself in the person of Christ?
3. How could Jesus be both God and man?
4. Why did Jesus have to die to provide salvation for men?
5. What evidence is there for the historical existence of Jesus?
6. What evidence is there for the resurrection of Jesus?
7. Did Jesus attain deity by His sacrificial death or was He God from the beginning?

Statement Analysis:

Analyze and respond TO THE statement,
"No man ever believes that the Bible means what it says; he is always convinced that it says what he means.” George Barnard Shaw – Cat 2, Stat 1

“God is merely an impersonal force in the universe. He is untouchable and unapproachable.” - Cat 1, Stat 6

“Gods are fragile things. They may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense.” Chapman Cohen – Cat 1, Stat 3

“God set the universe in motion but He has no interest in it.” - Cat 1, Stat 7

“If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent Him.” Voltaire – Cat 1, Stat 4

“If God understands my humanity and sin nature better than I do, why does He still hold me accountable for what I cannot help doing?” – Cat 1, Stat 8

“The Bible is no different than any other holy book.” – Cat 2, Stat 2

“The Bible is simply the work of a great conspiracy, where people sought to create a religion of their own.” – Cat 2, Stat 3

“The Old Testament God is a God of hate while the New Testament God is a God of love.” – Cat 1, Stat 2

“The Old Testament is merely a set of myths made up by the Jewish people to establish a national identity and give themselves a feeling of superiority.” - Cat 2, Stat 4

“The existence of God and of a future life is everywhere recognized in Africa.” David Livingstone – Cat 1, Stat 1

“What we believe about God is the most important thing about us.” A.W. Tozer – Cat 1, Stat 5

EVALUATE and respond to statement,
“All men were born with ten fingers and toes but no one was born with the knowledge of God.” Voltaire – Cat 3, Stat 1

“Heaven is only a state of mind.” – Cat 3, Stat 3

“He’s only human.” (as a justification for sin and the need for leniency). – Cat 3, Stat 4

“When man dies, he simply ceases to exist. There is no immortality or eternal life.” – Cat 3, Stat 5

“…whatever a man sows, that shall he also reap.” Galatians 6:7 – Cat 3, Stat 2

Analyze and respond to the FOLLOWING statement,
“Christianity is the opiate of the masses.” Karl Marx – Cat 4, Stat 6

“Every charitable act is a stepping stone to heaven.” Henry Ward Beecher – Cat 4, Stat 3

“I commune best with God when I am out in nature. I don’t need organized religion or a list of do’s and don’ts.” - Cat 4, Stat 4

“I know that all of the good vibes he sent out will return to carry him off to a better place.” Comment made after to death of Bob Hope. – Cat 4, Stat 5

“It doesn’t matter what you believe as long as you are sincere.” – Cat 4, Stat 1

“Jesus said, ‘I am the way, the truth and the life. No man comes to the Father except though me.’” – Cat 4, Stat 7

“Jesus was a good man and a good teacher but certainly not the Son of God.” – Cat 5, Stat 2

“Jesus’ life and death are merely examples to us that we should all live sacrificial lives.” - Cat 5, Stat 1

“There are many roads to God.” - Cat 4, Stat 2

It works wonderfully for me! :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:54 am 
The Philosophy Juggler

I don't use a box anymore. It helps me to rely on my own knowledge and memory (and for reference, I took 3rd at the past Texas Open.) Plus, I had 3x5 cards, and those are not allowed anymore.

But when I did have a box, I organized it by category. Each category was colour-coded. For example, Category one was on green cards, category two on yellow, etc. That way, once I figured out what category it was, I could easily access it. And, if my cards got out of order, it would be easy to put them back into order.

Kohiotoko wrote:
Do rap lyrics trump Ph.D papers in terms of credibility? I'm inclined to say yes.
Kohiotoko wrote:
CAPS LOCK IS NOT CRUISE CONTROL FOR AWESOME YOU GUYS.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:30 am 
titles are too mainstream.

Affirmativedebater wrote:
I don't use a box anymore. It helps me to rely on my own knowledge and memory (and for reference, I took 3rd at the past Texas Open.)

wow. that's awesome. i wish i could do this. i remember watching people give apol speeches off card my novice year and hoping that i eventually got to that point.

David Roth wrote:
you make my life hell.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:34 am 
Doesn't have a title.

I almost went cardless, but I preferred to have a greater abundance of quotable text than I could memorize.