homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:13 am
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:14 pm 
titles are too mainstream.

Home Schooled: Yes
Explain the meaning and significance of verbal, plenary inspiration of Scripture.
Explain the meaning and significance of divine inspiration.

what is the difference between these two topics? it seems to me that you could use the same outline for both of them...

i'm totally nit-picking here, but i'm curious as to why one of these topics wasn't deleted or revised when they redid the topics.

David Roth wrote:
you make my life hell.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:20 pm 

Dawn wrote:
Explain the meaning and significance of verbal, plenary inspiration of Scripture.
Explain the meaning and significance of divine inspiration.

what is the difference between these two topics? it seems to me that you could use the same outline for both of them...

i'm totally nit-picking here, but i'm curious as to why one of these topics wasn't deleted or revised when they redid the topics.
Hmmm... well, "verbal, plenary" means the voice of God spoke, and what is in the bible is his "absolute" word. You can argue for divine inspiration without believing that God directly communicated with the authors of the Bible and without believing that what's in the Bible is God's absolute word. So yeah, they are very similar, but I think one is more in depth than the other... just my take.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:33 pm 

It seems like the two topics are closely related, but they deal with slightly different aspects of the issue. My card on divine inspiration talks more generally about God's inspiration of the Bible, while my card on verbal, plenary inspiration talks more specifically about how every word of the Bible is inspired (plenary) and that the specific words as well as the ideas are inspired (verbal). In my speech on divine inspiration I also have a point about some evidence for inspiration.

I guess that by including both topics, you get to cover them and their different aspects more fully, kind of like having four different topics all dealing with different names for salvation.

OppositeWay wrote:
You can argue for divine inspiration without believing that God directly communicated with the authors of the Bible and without believing that what's in the Bible is God's absolute word.

That's interesting... I hadn't thought about that before.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:28 pm 
titles are too mainstream.

OppositeWay wrote:
Hmmm... well, "verbal, plenary" means the voice of God spoke, and what is in the bible is his "absolute" word. You can argue for divine inspiration without believing that God directly communicated with the authors of the Bible and without believing that what's in the Bible is God's absolute word.

are you saying there is a difference in the method of communication? like, verbal plenary is God dictating Scripture whereas someone who doesn't believe that would say God just implanted the ideas into people's minds?

SoCoNative wrote:
I guess that by including both topics, you get to cover them and their different aspects more fully, kind of like having four different topics all dealing with different names for salvation.

i guess that makes sense.

David Roth wrote:
you make my life hell.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:01 pm 

Dawn wrote:
are you saying there is a difference in the method of communication? like, verbal plenary is God dictating Scripture whereas someone who doesn't believe that would say God just implanted the ideas into people's minds
Yeah... it's kind of the difference between being inspired to write after seeing a beautiful flower and having the flower control what you wrote.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:01 pm 

It seems to me that verbal, plenary inspiration is a subset of divine inspiration. Thus, I'd agree that it has a bit more depth as well as that it is possible to believe in divine inspiration with believing in verbal, plenary inspiration.

When it comes to Apologetics, you don't even have to have separate cards. Because they are so very similar, you could include material on both in a single card and simply emphasize whichever topic you draw.