homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:06 am
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Printing Index Cards
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:39 am 
titles are too mainstream.

Home Schooled: Yes
How do you all do it?

...or do you write them out by hand?

I usually will print out 4X6 blocks of text on regular paper, cut them out and paste them onto index cards. terribly inefficient.

David Roth wrote:
you make my life hell.

Post subject: Re: Printing Index Cards
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:57 am 

hahahaha. that's what I used to do. the printing/cut/pasting, I mean.

That is, until I figured out how to print directly onto the cards. :D

First, see if there is a place where you can put cards in your printer. (not just in the paper tray) Then when printing, set the document to a 4x6 size. ...it's actually super complicated, and it takes me a few tries to get it right. You have to coordinate the landscape of the document, as well as the width/height to be the same, and the way you put it in the printer.

I think you should set it to landscape, width of 6 in, height of 4 in, and put the card in long side. Thatttt might not be right though.

annnd if that wasn't what you wanted to know, sorry you had to read through that... =P

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:17 am 
Doesn't have a title.

Set the page in printer properties to 4" width by 6" height and set the page in page setup to 4" height by 6" width with landscape orientation. Place the cards in the tray portrait-wise, i.e. the card moves through the tray parallel to its 6" side.

If you prefer portrait cards (where each line of text is parallel to the 4" side), then set the page to 4" width by 6" height in printer properties and page setup with portrait orientation.

0.5" margins are ideal because they provide enough space for gripping while leaving enough room for the text on the card.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:48 pm 
Hint hint peoples.

Halogen wrote:
Set the page in printer properties to 4" width by 6" height and set the page in page setup to 4" height by 6" width. Place the cards in the tray portrait-wise, i.e. the card moves through the tray parallel to its 6" side.

If you prefer portrait cards (where each line of text is parallel to the 4" side), then set the page to 4" width by 6" height in printer properties and page setup.

0.5" margins are ideal because they provide enough space for gripping while leaving enough room for the text on the card.

This is how I print cards directly off my computer. It's sooooo much easier than cutting/pasting. :) I have kept a file called "ApologeticsCardTemplate" where I have the document setup described above, start any card I want to write, and when I'm finished with it I "save as" whatever card it is.

Also, just a tip: if you want your speech to be very close to six minutes, for a normal paced speaker you should print out about 3 and 1/4 4X6 cards with size 10 typeface. Typically I put the question at the top of the first card in size 12 and then put my intro, thesis, roadmap, beginning of 1st point, etc. underneath it.

But this all depends on your speaking style and how you want to make your cards work for you. This is just what I like to do. :)

As the deer pants for the water brooks, so pants my soul for You, O God. -Psalm 42:1

Truth is treason in an empire of lies...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:05 pm 

Location: On my bed... Drowning in piles and piles of books and papers :D
ParadigmPWNS wrote:
This is how I print cards directly off my computer. It's sooooo much easier than cutting/pasting. :) I have kept a file called "ApologeticsCardTemplate" where I have the document setup described above, start any card I want to write, and when I'm finished with it I "save as" whatever card it is.

Haha that's exactly what I do :)

:P You are smart.
I think more people should listen to you

lookingforangels wrote:
Yeah, you're gonna die. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:00 am 

Quote:

If you don't know how to make an apologetics template, here are some step by step instructions I made for my club:

Quote:
I don't know how your printer works, but this is how you make a 4x6 template for an apologetics card for Word 2010. I think it is the same thing for Word 2007, but I am not sure. (If this is too hard, I can email you my apologetics card template, and you can save it as your own)

1) Open Word
2) Go to " Page Layout" on the top left corner.
3) Click on "Size"
4) At the very bottom of the list you should see "more paper sizes". Click on that
5) It will open up a new window. Go to "Paper"
6) On the top it will say, "Paper size". Go to the bottom of the list and click on "custom size."
7) Make the width "6" and the height "4"
8) Go to "Margins" on the top left corner.
9) Make the "Top" 0.5 and make "left", "right", and "bottom" 0.25. (personal preference)
10) Save as "Apologetics Template"

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:04 pm 

I've always used Training Minds' pre-formatted Word document for my Apologetics cards. If you haven't bought a Silver Book, then the best option is probably to follow Jonathan or Halogen's advice.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:40 pm 

Hi, can someone tell me how to do this with Openoffice and a printer that all I can reach is the part where the paper comes out(not the buttons)?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:49 pm 
Hint hint peoples.

SuperK1 wrote:
Hi, can someone tell me how to do this with Openoffice and a printer that all I can reach is the part where the paper comes out(not the buttons)?

As for your printer, make sure you have a tray that can print 4x6 cards.

As for Open Office, I found some step-by-step guides on how you can resize the default margins and page size so you can make your own cards. :) https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Docume ... ge_size%3F AND https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Docume ... ge_margins

Hope this helps!

As the deer pants for the water brooks, so pants my soul for You, O God. -Psalm 42:1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:07 pm 

Thanks Evan! :D I made it! I gotta get off now. Bye!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:56 pm 
Guardian of the Black Room

Woah. Thread necromancer! :o

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:28 pm 
Hint hint peoples.

anorton wrote:
Woah. Thread necromancer! :o

Indeed. This thread was started three years and twenty days ago, back when I was still ParadigmPWNS. ;P Generally we discourage necromancing old threads here. However, this thread is very helpful for new students, and SuperK1 is a new student who stumbled across this thread and posted in it to ask a pertinent question. Since it's on-topic and relevant to the OP's intent, it makes sense to allow the new discussion to remain here. There's no statute of limitations on old threads ;) (Guess who's studying for a business law test.)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:00 pm 

Evan wrote:
if you want your speech to be very close to six minutes, for a normal paced speaker you should print out about 3 and 1/4 4X6 cards with size 10 typeface.

Front and back, or just front?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:36 pm 
Hint hint peoples.

SuperK1 wrote:
Evan wrote:
if you want your speech to be very close to six minutes, for a normal paced speaker you should print out about 3 and 1/4 4X6 cards with size 10 typeface.

Front and back, or just front?

At the time I wrote that, I typically printed them out just front. But in my senior year, I started switching to front-and-back. Some people lose track of where they're going when they do front-and-back cards. I remedied this by putting page numbers on the bottom. Really, it depends on what works for you. :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:29 am 

Okay, thanks! I've made a template in OpenOffice, and started a question, but haven't found out about the printer tray yet.