homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:48 am
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Casual or Professional?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:31 am
Posts: 8
Home Schooled: Yes
I'm doing apologetics in the NCFCA. I was just wondering how I should interact with my judges. Should I say "you should do this," or should I say "Christians should do this." Am I speaking directly to the judges, or is it a speech that does not ever address the judges specifically?


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 1:22 am
Posts: 196
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: Like I would tell you
A Hawk wrote:
I'm doing apologetics in the NCFCA. I was just wondering how I should interact with my judges. Should I say "you should do this," or should I say "Christians should do this." Am I speaking directly to the judges, or is it a speech that does not ever address the judges specifically?


I may be misunderstanding you, but this is what I am thinking.

I say it depends a lot on the topic, and how you do it. For example, I say "we" instead of "you" because I am not perfect. It makes you more down to earth.
For the most part, I personally prefer to not be all preachy. It has its advantages, but it also has some disadvantages that can be averted if you don't be all preachy. :P
Also, don't get confused between impacting to the judges and being preachy.

You are speaking to the judges. The key in speaking is connecting with the judges. Speak "to" them instead of "at" them.

_________________
-The Jeester


Last edited by jonathan070394j on Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:47 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:31 am
Posts: 8
Home Schooled: Yes
Okay. Thanks. Could you elaborate on the difference between being preaching and impacting the judges? I'm new to apologetics this year.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:30 pm 
Offline
titles are too mainstream.
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:59 pm
Posts: 4579
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: Wisconsin
Wait. I'm confused. Why would your apologetics speech be a call to action for Christians?

_________________
Somehow Your blood makes You blind
To our divide
I am all Yours

David Roth wrote:
you make my life hell.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 1:22 am
Posts: 196
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: Like I would tell you
A Hawk wrote:
Okay. Thanks. Could you elaborate on the difference between being preaching and impacting the judges? I'm new to apologetics this year.


Impacting:
"It matters because if the Bible were a lie, we would be living a false faith"


Preachy (some of these are kind of extreme, but basically you are talking at them.):

"You are a sinner needing God's grace"
"You must believe this"
"The idea of salvation by works is simply wrong"

_________________
-The Jeester


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:31 am
Posts: 8
Home Schooled: Yes
jonathan070394j wrote:
A Hawk wrote:
Okay. Thanks. Could you elaborate on the difference between being preaching and impacting the judges? I'm new to apologetics this year.


Impacting:
"It matters because if the Bible were a lie, we would be living a false faith"


Preachy (some of these are kind of extreme, but basically you are talking at them.):

"You are a sinner needing God's grace"
"You must believe this"
"The idea of salvation by works is simply wrong"

Great. Thanks! Now I understand. I think I was being a little bit more on the preachy side. I'll fix that.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 1:22 am
Posts: 196
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: Like I would tell you
Quote:
Great. Thanks! Now I understand. I think I was being a little bit more on the preachy side. I'll fix that.


oh also, I just want to clarify this. I think in my first post on here I said "your wrong". Besides being bad grammar it was big typo. I was writing something and then I deleted only part of it. lol XD

_________________
-The Jeester


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:31 am
Posts: 8
Home Schooled: Yes
Dawn wrote:
Wait. I'm confused. Why would your apologetics speech be a call to action for Christians?

If you had the word "justification," you can tell the judges that they should be telling others that Jesus is the only way by which we can receive justification.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:53 pm 
Offline
titles are too mainstream.
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:59 pm
Posts: 4579
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: Wisconsin
A Hawk wrote:
Dawn wrote:
Wait. I'm confused. Why would your apologetics speech be a call to action for Christians?

If you had the word "justification," you can tell the judges that they should be telling others that Jesus is the only way by which we can receive justification.


...okay. i would disagree with that approach because i think you should give your speech as if the audience is not sympathetic to your beliefs (even though they most likely are).

_________________
Somehow Your blood makes You blind
To our divide
I am all Yours

David Roth wrote:
you make my life hell.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:22 pm
Posts: 1389
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: Austin, TX
Latest blog post here kinda helps answer how to do this.... http://www.ethosapologetics.com/

_________________
Upside Down Debate. The book that teaches you the deeper why of debate, from the ground up.


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC+01:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited