homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:11 am
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Sketch
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:15 pm 

Home Schooled: No
So I thought I'd drop this here. I put a rare all-text post in the vlog, laying out an argument I intend to develop in a conference paper or journal article over the next year or two. I think at least some folks who compete in apologetics might find it thought-provoking. Comment if you like, and if your insight shakes up my thinking in a really productive way, I'll put you in the acknowledgments when and if it sees print.

Post subject: Re: Sketch
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:14 pm 

Since this "thread" started in the spirit of "I'm dropping this here," and only loosely fits the event, I'm dropping a second bit here. It might give you a grin, make you roll your eyes, or even wind up being the attention-getter for a speech.

Now THAT'S apologetic!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:13 pm 

A third thing I'll drop here, hoping I haven't worn out the moderators' patience, because it's a loose fit with the subject matter of this forum, and because someone may have one or more good reads to point me towards.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 5:44 pm 
Lifesavers: it takes one to know one.

Home Schooled: Yes
Location: Somewhere between my guitar, debate crate, and fishing gear
DrSraderNCU wrote:
So I thought I'd drop this here. I put a rare all-text post in the vlog, laying out an argument I intend to develop in a conference paper or journal article over the next year or two. I think at least some folks who compete in apologetics might find it thought-provoking. Comment if you like, and if your insight shakes up my thinking in a really productive way, I'll put you in the acknowledgments when and if it sees print.

This is absolutely fantastic! Apologetics in a postmodern world is inevitably doomed to fail if it is viewed as a primary component of our Christian witness. It has the most value for the individual insofar as it enables them to think rigorously and shapes them as an person. It is also important in providing an account for why our faith is warranted. However, I've become convinced that the strongest Christian apologetic in a postmodern world is unquestionably relational. Since our time could be characterized by a fundamental incredulity towards metanarratives, there is only a marginal gain to be had in trying to assert them in an intellectual climate where they are a foreign concept. Instead, of trying to demonstrate with certainty our mutually exclusive Christian metanarrative, we should simply invite others to join our narrative/community. Understanding of the full philosophical/theological significance of that comes later. Christians must stop striving to reason people into the kingdom, and instead fulfill the fundamental Christian calling to love of God and love of neighbor. This is an entirely relational calling. Only when this is realized will Christianity have displayed itself as a narrative worth joining....

Footnote: to give credit where credit is due: the above content has been heavily shaped by Paul, Augustine, Aquinas, Anselm, Pascal, Chesterton, and Lewis. The ideas really aren't my own.

Speak softly and carry a big stick~Teddy Roosevelt

Proud NCFCA Alum