homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:40 pm
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Help!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:19 am 

Home Schooled: Yes
Location: frantically trying accomplish college, highschool, work, teaching debate, and TP!!!!!
So I have this Apol question that I can't quite get my mind around enough to explain :roll: :Analyze and respond to the statement, “All matter, energy, and life are an interconnected unity of which we are an inseparable part.”
Does anyone have any good ideas on explaining this in six minutes?

Post subject: Re: Help!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:04 pm 

Pepsi wrote:
So I have this Apol question that I can't quite get my mind around enough to explain :roll: :Analyze and respond to the statement, “All matter, energy, and life are an interconnected unity of which we are an inseparable part.”
Does anyone have any good ideas on explaining this in six minutes?

If it were me, I'd say "let's analyze this from a physics, Eastern, and Christian perspective. In the end, the statement is pretty accurate but the REASONS that is the case make all the difference."

Physics -- Talk about entropy and how everything is made up of atoms, use an example of the butterfly effect for fun
--> SubConcl: Clearly, life, matter, and energy IS connected and has something to do with the meaning of life. But what? Let's look at Eastern then Christian perspectives.

Eastern -- The ability to connect with the oneness of everything is supreme. Supply examples. Show that this means a life of contemplation and meditation, not of action, as you eliminate yourself to realize oneness with all.

Christian -- The statement is true, but because God knit together the fabric of the universe and at every single moment continues to hold it all together. We cannot separate ourselves from God's mind, no matter how hard we try (Eastern), so it's really about discovering God's purpose for what we are to DO to fit in with this unity. In otherwords, instead of realizing how we are the world, realize how we are a unique instrument and part. That God has purpose is a given, but discovering and doing your part of that purpose are what gives life meaning. So a Christian has a bias towards action, humbly recognizing oneself as just a piece, but still a unique piece, of overall energetic movement.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:30 am 

This statement comes from the World Pantheism Movement. Here's a link I found helpful: http://www.pantheismtoday.com/beliefs/the-belief-statement-credo-of-the-world-pantheist-movement. I would probably talk about what Pantheism is in general, what the World Pantheism Movement is, and what this statement is really saying between the lines.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:50 am 

I was thinking about my previous post some more. I forogot to mention that I would talk about how Pantheism is wrong and what the Bible says. I just count that as a given, but I thought I would clarify that.