homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:12 am
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Verses for Inerrancy
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:30 am 
Offline
The Apologetics Nerd
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:22 pm
Posts: 13
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: Some where eating....
I've recently been writing a few cards on the Bible's inerrancy. One thing I found is that it's hard to come up with verses that actually say "the Bible is inerrant", so I use a bunch of quotes and then a few verses about the Bible's promises that we can trust. Does anyone have suggestions on scripture for cards on the the Bible's inerrancy? Also, I know that scripture is supposed to be the main part of a card, but is it ever ok to have more quotes than verses?

Thanks! :)

_________________
"All you have to do is to decide what to do with the time given to you."
Gandalf


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Verses for Inerrancy
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:37 am 
Offline
Guardian of the Black Room
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:05 am
Posts: 877
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: 127.0.0.1
2 Timothy 3:16-17 wrote:
All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

God is perfect, so God does not make errors. God authored the Bible. Therefore, the Bible has no errors.

What if there was a translation error? (God authored it, people wrote it. How can we know there weren't errors introduced there?)
Matthew 24:35 wrote:
Heaven and earth will pass away, but my [Christ's] words will never pass away.

If his words will never pass away, there will always be at least one translation that is accurate.

//Andrew

(NIV translation used for verses, if it makes any difference to you.)

_________________
"The poet only asks to get his head into the heavens. It is the logician who seeks to get the heavens into his head. And it is his head that splits"
- G.K. Chesterton


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Verses for Inerrancy
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:51 am 
Offline
titles are too mainstream.
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:59 pm
Posts: 4579
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: Wisconsin
Stormcrow wrote:
Also, I know that scripture is supposed to be the main part of a card, but is it ever ok to have more quotes than verses?


...yes.

where did you get this idea that scripture is supposed to be the main part of the card?

for some topics it will be, yes. but for others, you may not even need any scripture.

if you're talking to someone who is questioning the inerrancy of the Scripture, you're not going to just quote Scripture to make your point. You have to bring in outside sources.

_________________
Somehow Your blood makes You blind
To our divide
I am all Yours

David Roth wrote:
you make my life hell.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Verses for Inerrancy
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:57 am 
Offline
The Apologetics Nerd
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:22 pm
Posts: 13
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: Some where eating....
Dawn wrote:
Stormcrow wrote:
Also, I know that scripture is supposed to be the main part of a card, but is it ever ok to have more quotes than verses?


...yes.

where did you get this idea that scripture is supposed to be the main part of the card?

for some topics it will be, yes. but for others, you may not even need any scripture.

if you're talking to someone who is questioning the inerrancy of the Scripture, you're not going to just quote Scripture to make your point. You have to bring in outside sources.


Ahhh.... good point. Thanks! I just thought that you were supposed to use scripture more than other things like quotes.

btw, thanks for the verses, anorton.

_________________
"All you have to do is to decide what to do with the time given to you."
Gandalf


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Verses for Inerrancy
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:00 am 
Offline
titles are too mainstream.
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:59 pm
Posts: 4579
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: Wisconsin
It depends on the topic, really.

Also. If you need verses for certain topics, use Google. Or a specific concordance or topical Bible.

_________________
Somehow Your blood makes You blind
To our divide
I am all Yours

David Roth wrote:
you make my life hell.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Verses for Inerrancy
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:14 pm 
Offline
Everything Must Go!

Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:56 am
Posts: 4026
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: The Triangle, NC
Quote:
God is perfect, so God does not make errors. God authored the Bible. Therefore, the Bible has no errors.

If the Bible says that God changed his mind about something, does that mean he made an error the first time around?


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Verses for Inerrancy
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:09 pm 
Offline
Guardian of the Black Room
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:05 am
Posts: 877
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: 127.0.0.1
Mike Easter wrote:
If the Bible says that God changed his mind about something, does that mean he made an error the first time around?

No. Example in human terms: I may say "I want ice cream," and then say later that, "I want a chocolate bar instead." Does this mean that I made an error the first time around?

//Andrew

_________________
"The poet only asks to get his head into the heavens. It is the logician who seeks to get the heavens into his head. And it is his head that splits"
- G.K. Chesterton


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Verses for Inerrancy
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:24 pm 
Offline
I know not this "leverage" of which you speak.
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:52 pm
Posts: 2285
Home Schooled: Yes
anorton wrote:
Mike Easter wrote:
If the Bible says that God changed his mind about something, does that mean he made an error the first time around?

No. Example in human terms: I may say "I want ice cream," and then say later that, "I want a chocolate bar instead." Does this mean that I made an error the first time around?

//Andrew

Except, if God is unbound by time, then He theoretically can't change his mind.

_________________
This account doesn't express the opinions of my employers and might not even express my own.


Last edited by Mr Glasses on Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Verses for Inerrancy
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:31 pm 
Offline
THE Cookie Monster!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:43 am
Posts: 2599
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: where no one knows my name
Mike Easter wrote:
Quote:
God is perfect, so God does not make errors. God authored the Bible. Therefore, the Bible has no errors.

If the Bible says that God changed his mind about something, does that mean he made an error the first time around?
I haven't found a very compelling reason why yet, but I don't believe the Bible is literal in saying that God changed his mind.

_________________
Brenna Bakke, Veritas CA
Adorable Speecher | gr8 debate timer | 08-09
Bakke/Ruscigno | TP <3 | 09-10
Bakke/Bakke | TP <3 | 10-11
Bakke/Van Ness | TP <3 | 11-13
Sad Brenna | LD ew | 13-14
PHC Student | wow such college deb8 | 14&beyond


You're not alone.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Verses for Inerrancy
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:45 pm 
Offline
Everything Must Go!

Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:56 am
Posts: 4026
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: The Triangle, NC
revgirl wrote:
I don't believe the Bible is literal in saying that God changed his mind.

But of course.

What reason do you have to believe that God did not, in fact, change his mind about harming his people (Ex. 32:14) or in various other places throughout the Old Testament, when the text says that he changed his mind? I know there's a verse in the New Testament that says the scripture is not meant to deceive. Is the reader being deceived when looking at Ex. 32:14, when the "true" meaning is completely the opposite than what is recorded?
anorton wrote:
No. Example in human terms: I may say "I want ice cream," and then say later that, "I want a chocolate bar instead." Does this mean that I made an error the first time around?

If whatever God decides is absolutely true and correct, and if he changes what he is going to do, then that implies that his first decision was incorrect. Being the measuring stick for All Things That Are Moral, that seems like a fail.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Verses for Inerrancy
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:02 pm 
Offline
Guardian of the Black Room
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:05 am
Posts: 877
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: 127.0.0.1
Mike Easter wrote:
anorton wrote:
No. Example in human terms: I may say "I want ice cream," and then say later that, "I want a chocolate bar instead." Does this mean that I made an error the first time around?

If whatever God decides is absolutely true and correct, and if he changes what he is going to do, then that implies that his first decision was incorrect. Being the measuring stick for All Things That Are Moral, that seems like a fail.

I will postulate something here that will probably spin off a whole new topic.

I believe that God is all-powerful.
God is all-powerful, so nothing can bind him.
Thus, Logic and Time do not bind God's actions.

Thus, he could make two contradictory statements and have both be true.

Because God is not bound time either, "changing his mind" doesn't really make sense. When you change your mind, you thought something at a prior time, and then thought something else at a later time. Without time as a reference point, changing your mind doesn't make any sense.

//Andrew

_________________
"The poet only asks to get his head into the heavens. It is the logician who seeks to get the heavens into his head. And it is his head that splits"
- G.K. Chesterton


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Verses for Inerrancy
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:22 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:15 pm
Posts: 23
Home Schooled: Yes
anorton wrote:
I will postulate something here that will probably spin off a whole new topic.

I believe that God is all-powerful.
God is all-powerful, so nothing can bind him.
Thus, Logic and Time do not bind God's actions.

Thus, he could make two contradictory statements and have both be true.

Because God is not bound time either, "changing his mind" doesn't really make sense. When you change your mind, you thought something at a prior time, and then thought something else at a later time. Without time as a reference point, changing your mind doesn't make any sense.

//Andrew


I would disagree with your first premise due to lack of specificity. If you mean that God can literally do anything, then you've fallen into the "rock so big He can't lift it" problem. Plus, one thing God cannot do is sin.

I believe a more accurate statement is, "God can do anything that is in accordance with His nature." Thus, God cannot make a rock so big He cannot lift it and He cannot sin."

My premise one: God can do anything that is in accordance with His nature.
My premise two: God can do anything that is in accordance with His nature, so nothing can bind Him except His own nature. (That is to say, God is unable to act in a way that would violate His nature.)
My premise three: God is a God of order, not a God of chaos.
My premise four: God must act in an orderly fashion.
My premise five: Logical contradictions are not orderly.
Conclusion: Therefore, God cannot make a logical contradiction true.

How's that? I think it could be expressed better, but that's what I could come up with on short notice.

As a note of additional support, isn't it true that everything God creates reflects His nature in some way? If so, then logic must be a reflection of God's nature.

I do agree with your statement about time, though.

_________________
Caleb DeLon
Master Apologetics by Writing Only 25 Cards!
CalebDeLon.com


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 

All times are UTC+01:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited