homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 11:39 am
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Praying in Apol?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:19 am 
Winner of HSD Big Brother 1

Home Schooled: Yes
I had a random thought.. Has anyone prayed or seen anyone pray out loud before their speech?

Post subject: Re: Praying in Apol?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:26 am 

I remember a couple occasions of praying with club mates/friends before an outround... but come to think of it, that really makes sense.

Reminds me of what my pastor prays for before each sermon- "May the words of my mouth and the meditation within each of our hearts glorify You". In Apol. above all that one makes sense.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:46 am 
Doesn't have a title.

Matthew 6:5-6 wrote:
And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites. For they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.
I don't know, it seems like praying out loud in the presence of judges right before a competitive speech borders on pharisaism. I think the best option is to pray in the hallway with friends.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:21 am 
The Great White Sharc

If you use prayer in any way to increase your competitive standing in the round, you should be absolutely ashamed. Pray unceasingly, and pray humbly.

I currently help coach at TACT in Region X.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:30 am 

I would say no. I've competed in apologetics, and usually pray silently before each round, which I find helps me. But aloud? That would be... just... no. If I were judging/timing/watching a round, that would shock me to no end and probably bias me against whatever speech I was about to hear.

My thoughts: Silent prayer? Great. Go for it. Praying out loud in front of the judges? I would suggest staying away from that.

...you'd probably mess the timer up, too. =P

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:43 am 

Haha, maybe I got the wrong impression here. Yeah, of course making a big show of prayer, praying competitively and distracting the timer isn't good. So if that's what you mean by 'praying out loud', then I disagree. But I think prayer should be a bigger part of apologetics, at least for me personally. You're basically interpreting the Word of God to answer questions about it, I think it's pretty important to ask for God's blessing there and to represent Him.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:52 am 
Winner of HSD Big Brother 1

Okay good to know. I saw a first year do it once last year.. and it randomly popped back into my head haha. I do be live it is playing up to the "christian" side of the judges. Unacceptable. Good to know what yall think. : )

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:25 pm 

Location: Is that really any of your business? Why else do you need to know?
Just pray for the Holy Spirit to enlighten you.

Mark 8:36
Region IX ROX!

God's Gorgeous Princess

lucky13 wrote:
boys are gross!

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 1:29 am 

I normally pray during my prep time. But never out loud. I seek the Lord for wisdom on what to say and how to minister to the needs of the judges (even though I obviously don't know their needs, God does...).

A challenge for ya'll: See if you can give the judges a new way to look at something. Get them excited about God, His word, Jesus, or whatever ya'll are talking about! =D Have fun and glorify God!

"Guard your heart with all diligence, for out of it are the issues of life." -Provers 4:23-

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 8:04 am 

013 wrote:
If you use prayer in any way to increase your competitive standing in the round, you should be absolutely ashamed. Pray unceasingly, and pray humbly.

This man knows what's up. I pray before outrounds, even now in college. In the NCFCA I would pray before all my finals, and my partner and I would pray before our duo at nats. But we always did it out of sight of the judges. In college I usually do it as I'm walking down the hallway (I always spend about 5 minutes to myself before an LD outround, parli there's no time).

But you probably shouldn't do it in front of the judges.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 11:44 pm 

Shouldn't this be in the Apologetics thread? ... mods?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:27 pm 
Meeshmoosh

YEah, pray silently, don't pray out loud, it plays to the whole Christian side of Apol.

Bosh Bebb wrote:
What do you guys think about disenfranchising all white people? That could be legit, too. I think there's lots of advocacy for it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:45 am 

Location: What does it matter? "Where I go, you cannot follow."
Foxtrot wrote:
YEah, pray silently, don't pray out loud, it plays to the whole Christian side of Apol.

"The whole Christian side of apol" ? Isn't Apol a wholly Christian activity? If it isn't, then the entire thing is useless. It is either fundamentally Christian or...I've been wasting my time. :?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:00 am 
Meeshmoosh

CLASH wrote:
Foxtrot wrote:

"The whole Christian side of apol" ? Isn't Apol a wholly Christian activity? If it isn't, then the entire thing is useless. It is either fundamentally Christian or...I've been wasting my time. :?

Wow my wording and grammar usage was horrible. What I meant was that there is no need to pray out loud. Praying silently serves the exact same purpose without drawing attention to yourself. There just is no need to pray out loud in front of the judges.

Bosh Bebb wrote:
What do you guys think about disenfranchising all white people? That could be legit, too. I think there's lots of advocacy for it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:32 am 

Location: What does it matter? "Where I go, you cannot follow."
Foxtrot wrote:
CLASH wrote:
Foxtrot wrote:

Wow my wording and grammar usage was horrible. What I meant was that there is no need to pray out loud. Praying silently serves the exact same purpose without drawing attention to yourself. There just is no need to pray out loud in front of the judges.

Ok, gotcha. I understand, the internet isn't always the greatest forum in getting ones intent across. Anyhow, I agree, I would be revolted to see someone pray out loud.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:57 pm 
Promoted from Court Jester

Sorry to bump this, but I was think about something like this and thought I'd search HSD to see if there was something on it. (I vaugely thought there was.) But my thing is this (and then I have a question.) I usually give really emotional apol speeches, like I say to God before I speak "God, you got me here, now give me the power and strength to declare the truth of Your Word." And He always does, it's so amazing, like, I can't even explain it.... But anyways, I just go all out and let the Holy Spirit do His thing, and sometimes I feel led to say a quick prayer, but fall silent usually and say "amen" instead. So, like if I really do feel led, and am not just doing it to appear to the judges like I am so "Holy" and "Christian", and thus should win my room or whatever, is it alright if I pray? Just a thought... So I thought I'd get feedback.

EDIT: And when I say pray, I am meaning at the end of my apologetic speech (as opposed to the beginning.)

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 7:16 am 

If I were a judge (which I have been) a spectator (which I also have been), or a parent that heard about it (not a parent just yet!), I would think significantly less of someone praying out loud in front of judges.

Better solution, pray in front of whoever you want that aren't judges. If you feel like the spirit is legitimately leading you to pray before doing an Apologetics round, then do so, but not loudly in front of a panel of judges to win plastic trophies.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 7:25 am 
Doesn't have a title.

Oh boy, the scientific approach to judge pandering here we go.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:02 pm 

Apparently you also win more ballots by bringing in a little statue of Rosie O'Donnell being stoned by angry Republicans. Do that thing.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 6:37 am 
Promoted from Court Jester

Two things:

1) I would pray at the end.

2) And I mean, I LEGITIMATELY feel led to pray. Haha this ain't for trophies. Aren't we supposed to be doing apol in the firstplace because we love our Lord and Saviors? If so, then people that are fake Christians or aren't practicing their faith shouldn't do it, but they do. I am saying I do apol bc I love Jesus so much and bc he is my strength and it's a unique experience to share my joy and excitement for Him with others. So why is praying at the end of the speech bad? I'm not going to do it everytime, only when I feel led.